Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Hamen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Music sucks now....
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my first block war game, and I think my girlfriend and I got the basics down. I still have a few questions though. I should also mentioned we played the braveheart scenario, and I won by defeating all of her nobles. I also did not crown the king.

1. How in the hell do you kill an "A" block when it is on defense if it can continually retreat before any attacker rolls are made unless you were able to force him into a corner with no places to retreat to? My girlfriend couldn't get more than a hit or two at most on wallace before I was able to retreat him before the battle starts.

2. It also says that a player who is "forced" to retreat automatically kills of any people who can not retreat by way of border limits. How does this really happen unless the defending player somehow blocked off borders by moving in his men through one of the only borders your men were allowed to retreat through?

3. Why would you crown the king of Scotland? I know he is a badass piece, but if you lose all of your nobles of one color to the English player, is it really worth it? Plus, one of the winning conditions is to kill the Scottish king. Therefore, no crown, no auto victory unless they sack all of your nobles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. You got it - you must prevent retreat
2. For example, if you need to retreat 3 across a red border, the one in excess of the red border limit of 2 is eliminated.
3. It only costs an event card. If the scots have the highlands, angus/fife and north, then the only nobels to switch sides will be Atholl and Mar. If you move Athol and Mar into the area with Wallace and the french Nights and then crown the king, Mar and Atholl will be killed and conerted in the ensuing batlle. So you can manage the nable switch pretty well. The reason to do it is if the Scots have King and Wallace, the game is pretty much won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martins Livens
Latvia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gentlegiantglass wrote:

1. How in the hell do you kill an "A" block when it is on defense if it can continually retreat before any attacker rolls are made unless you were able to force him into a corner with no places to retreat to? My girlfriend couldn't get more than a hit or two at most on Wallace before I was able to retreat him before the battle starts.

Block can't retreat through the borders opposite side entered battle.
Maybe you mistaken that block at his turn hit or retreat.
Anyway if Wallace constantly retreat then he don't help Scots in battle.
Thought you probably got Scots basic strategy right, they try to avoid frontal assault.
gentlegiantglass wrote:

2. It also says that a player who is "forced" to retreat automatically kills of any people who can not retreat by way of border limits. How does this really happen unless the defending player somehow blocked off borders by moving in his men through one of the only borders your men were allowed to retreat through?

there are border limits - 6 blocks over green/black and 2 over red border.

gentlegiantglass wrote:

3. Why would you crown the king of Scotland? I know he is a badass piece, but if you lose all of your nobles of one color to the English player, is it really worth it? Plus, one of the winning conditions is to kill the Scottish king. Therefore, no crown, no auto victory unless they sack all of your nobles.

Maybe you have only a couple of that color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3. I keep waiting for that game where we throwdown and bring out the Scottish King. The sacrifices are horrible, but some day it will add up right, and oh how awesome it would be to have King Balliol and Wallace on the same battlefield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.