Popular Tags: historical_inaccuracy [+] [View All]
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
Wow, that an Earth that's 300 times the age of the entire Universe pretty much ruins this for me.

(Yes, I now the must have gotten their reflectors and refractors confused, but that line of excuse isn't helped by the fact that the image is of the latter; and it's clearly not what's meant anyway.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
NASA Dawn approaching Ceres
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, and me, a refractor owner! I don't think I've seen that card come up yet.

Poor Lippershay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
+++++[>+++++++++++++.>++++++++++[>++++++++++++++++++.--------.---.+++++++++++++++++.---.-.
mb
dougadamsau wrote:
Poor Lippershay.

Not to mention — poor entire history of Western thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing stops you from just leaving a card or two in the box if you don't like it.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Zeede wrote:
Nothing stops you from just leaving a card or two in the box if you don't like it.

Or taking the whole box back to the store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know of any game stores that you can return an opened game, but whatever, more power to you.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Zeede wrote:
I don't know of any game stores that you can return an opened game, but whatever, more power to you.

It's done already.

What exactly is it in your brain that makes you so defensive of a game that's clearly total crap?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
...and I could ask you why you're so bent out of shape about a single card.

Here's a news flash: Just because you think a game is utter garbage does not mean everyone else agrees. I offered a simple solution, which was to remove the offending cards, since the game functions just fine with a handful of cards removed.

Cameron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Popow
Poland
Gdynia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is not clearly a total crap. Some people think that the world ends on their opinion. I've had a great time every time I played this game with my family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
mb
Zeede wrote:
...and I could ask you why you're so bent out of shape about a single card.

Well, a chronology game really ought to get the chronology right, don't you think? (And it's not just one card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The creation of the earth confused me. Do you have a different set, as I can't find that one in Inventions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Well, a chronology game really ought to get the chronology right, don't you think? (And it's not just one card.)

The only card I've had a problem with is Hot Air Balloon. It should specify "Manned, Untethered Flight in a Hot Air Balloon". I may just toss the card or specify it with a little sticker.

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldaron wrote:
Wow, that an Earth that's 300 times the age of the entire Universe pretty much ruins this for me.

Can someone explain to me what this sequence of words means?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a look at the iPad app, which contains the library of cards.

There is a Creation of the Earth card, which specifies the answer in billions of year, when I suspect it should be millions of years. A decimal point with a sharpie should fix that. I note there is a Creation of the Moon card which has the same error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Which set is it from, Doug?

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zeede wrote:
Which set is it from, Doug?

Cameron

They are from the Events deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Chien
United States
Rancho Cucamonga
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does it matter? Wouldn't it be the earliest card in the entire set and planned expansions, with or without the decimal point corrections?

Cameron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I played this game tonight and had a reasonably good time, but got hit by the telescope bug. Galileo had one, right? So there you go. I put it out where it belongs, everyone agreed, we mentioned Galileo and the microscope, we turned the card over, and I was "wrong".

And you know what I thought to myself? I thought "I bet someone has already posted about this on BGG." And I was right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
I had a look at the iPad app, which contains the library of cards.

There is a Creation of the Earth card, which specifies the answer in billions of year, when I suspect it should be millions of years. A decimal point with a sharpie should fix that. I note there is a Creation of the Moon card which has the same error.

The universe is ~14 Gigayears (Gyrs) old. The earth is ~4.5 Gyrs old.
A Gyr = 10^9 years = a thousand million years.
Note: A billion means a thousand million in the US which uses the short-scale system, and a million million in the UK/Europe which uses the long-scale system. (Perhaps that explains why the OP thinks it is wrong.)

I don't think I have the creation of the Earth card though (or the creation of the Moon). What does it say on it exactly?

The telescope should definitely be changed to either say "reflecting telescope" or the year should be changed to 1608, and inventor to Lippershay and Janssen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
I'm in my prime.
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got this game a couple of days ago and really enjoyed my first four plays with my wife.

We were surprised by some of the dates on the cards (can't remember specific examples) and thought that it would be nice to have a sentence or two of text with the date naming the inventor to get some context for the date.

From living abroad for the last 10+ years I know that there are often disagreements between when things were invented and who is credited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Guy
msg tools
Also, the globe was not invented in 1492, as the card claims. The first known was built a few (1,600) years earlier. Someone should have done some fact checking before they published...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.