Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Collins
Canada
Kitimat
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clay Roof allows me to replace reed with clay for building and renovating.
Stone House Extension costs one reed and three stone to bring into play. May I replace the reed with a clay if Clay Roof is already in play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernt Ivar Nødland
Norway
flag msg tools
No, you cannot, because when you play SHE you pay 3s 1r for the improvement, and get a stone room for free (the card explicitly says this). Clay roof OTOH works when paying for renovations and extension.

Similarly if you have Bricklayer and play clay hut extension, you pay 3c 1r, because you save a clay for improvement, but you do not save 2c for room, because it is already free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Kitimat
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SHE is an "extension" on my hut. Clay Roof says I can replace reed with clay when I extend my hut. I no longer need reed for my roof, since I'm using clay.

You're technically right, but I think my interpretation makes more sense in terms of what the cards mean from a practical standpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris F.
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
He's not just technically right - it's critical to the balance of the game that discount cards only work in the specific cases for which they were designed.

Here's the (Un)official Agricola Compendium - a list of rulings on card interactions, etc. It's a bit aged at this point, but still very useful.

While we're at it, here are last year's 7th edition rulings (including an expansion of Ladder's power). Using Clay Roof with Stone House Extension is still a no-go, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Kitimat
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair enough, but this forum is full of posts complaining that the game isn't balanced anyway. I'm just saying that if an interaction makes intuitive sense, then that should hold some sway versus a gamey rule that supposedly preserves balance.

I mean, if you have a game that starts out trying to balance things by penalizing the player who goes first, then I'd argue that balance isn't a serious consideration for that game in the first place. I mean, Christ, it's a euro!!!

EDIT: By the way, I'm just arguing for the sake of argument. Better minds than mine have analyzed this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Wells Kerenza
United Kingdom
Bradford
W Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
Fair enough, but this forum is full of posts complaining that the game isn't balanced anyway. I'm just saying that if an interaction makes intuitive sense, then that should hold some sway versus a gamey rule that supposedly preserves balance.

I mean, if you have a game that starts out trying to balance things by penalizing the player who goes first, then I'd argue that balance isn't a serious consideration for that game in the first place. I mean, Christ, it's a euro!!!

EDIT: By the way, I'm just arguing for the sake of argument. Better minds than mine have analyzed this game.

If you want to play it intuitively and everyone your playing with agrees then do so, it's a game. I don't understand why people come and ask questions about card rules then complain when how they want to play the card is not given (I know you're arguing for the sake of argument, so am I).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.