Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi-Ho! Color Go-Round is a children's game which offers a "lite" memory challenge for young players. The game also teaches color recognition. It was published in 1987 by Golden and is designed to be enjoyed by 2, 3, or 4, kids between 3 and 6 years old. I paid one dollar for my copy at the thrift store. The graphic presentation is bland but the components are of the highest quality.

The publisher's suggested age range seems appropriate to me. The components include no written text so a session would only require an adult or older sibling to read the instructions to the children. The players will need to see the entire spectrum of colors to fully enjoy the game but children with visual issues could still play the game based on pattern recognition alone. Like all of the best games designed for kids, the rules are easy to grasp and can be explained in a minute or two.

The object of the game is a memory/matching challenge that requires the kids create a chain of connected tiles as the pathway marches up a terraced pyramid. The game includes a set of 36 color-coded dominoes. During a typical turn the child will select a tile in an attempt to match the previously placed domino. An incorrect color match requires the kid to return the tile, and play continues with the next child.

The board is certainly one of the more interesting playing surfaces I've encountered. The board is a plastic pyramid which measures about 11" x 11" and it is about 2" tall. A pathway of tiles is formed during play as successful matches move the connected series of dominoes up the terrace. This is a clever idea, and creates a "gimmick" to catch the attention of the children.

The tiles are sturdy and built to last. Although my set is 25 years old the corners are solid and colors are still sharp. The whimsical illustrations used on the dominoes are uninspired and probably won't win any prizes for artistic excellence but they are functional.

The rules are simple but there are several levels of play. Younger kids can play an "open" matching game with the tiles face up. Older children can play with "hidden" tiles that are remain exposed after an unsuccessful match. More experienced players use a slightly more challenging system that requires a mis-matched tile to be returned to the table face down. There are also two versions that play like a card game, with each player holding a "hand" of dominoes and drawing from a discard pile if the kid can't make a valid match.

Our sample games lasted less than 10 minutes. It was enjoyable, with no silly rules that spoil the play experience. For youngsters in the preschool age group I can give this game my unqualified endorsement. Hi-Ho! Color Go-Round has educational value in spite of the drab components, and the cool pyramid helps to offset the dated graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review, Pete. And quite the steal at a buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to see reviews of non mainstream games. I see that this entry is the first one period for this game. Thanks for helping fill out the database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.