Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb

151st BS ......... 152nd BS ......... 153rd BS ......... 154th BS

BG...................BB...................GB..................GG

“Gentlemen at ease. Considering the loss rate of other Bombardment Groups on this trip we faired well. We only lost two complete crews, yet six aircraft were lost. With many others damaged. I know we have only had two days off, and I hope your leave to London was relaxing? I didn’t get any MP reports so I assumed you all took siestas on the tower bridge. Well we have what HQ considers a milk run to Holland boys, we are going to… ” Sgt. Murphy Pull the curtain please…”

We are still accepting new planes to join the group, as we start a second tour. For those of you just joining us, here is a summary of the "rules," as they are:
* I will be rolling up the mission parameters, fighter support, flak cover, weather and date for all missions.
* There is no required format for reporting your results, but the more info you present the more entertaining it is for everyone. If you track who gets injured, how many fighter kills, etc., then I can summarize that info at the end of the mission period for all bombers.
* All flights must be flown by the following Sunday (in this case, 12/02/26 ), and I will prepare an After Action Report the following Monday. If you happen to miss a week or two, no big deal, just join back in when you can.
* All planes are assigned to a squadron. If you are new, just post a response in the thread giving your plane name and you will be assigned a squadron. Squadrons are being given a position (High, Middle, Low or Low- Low.) by jasta6, as recorded here.
* Lead and Tail positions are still being assigned to volunteers. Please note that only bombers in MIDDLE position can be lead, and only bombers in LOW-LOW position can be tail. So if you are in one of those squadrons, and nobody has yet volunteered for a position, roll 1d6. If you get a 6, you are the lucky winner.
* Some optional rules can be found here.

”… “ Gilze-Rijen .”....” Good luck and Gods speed boys!”

MISSION Eighty-Five:
Date: Tuesday, August 19, 1943 (2 day from last mission)
Primary Target: Gilze-Rijen, Holland. A/D (Airdrome & Storehouses)
Secondary Target: None

Bomb Load: 24 x 100 lb HE M-30 G.P. Bombs
Bombing Altitude: 19,700 ft (Low Group)

Gazetteer:
Outbound & InBound: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: -1 W / Zone 4: -1 W/H / Zone 5: 0 H
Outbound & InBound: Zone 2: –2 W / Zone 3: -1 W / Zone 4: 0 W/H / Zone 5: +2 H (all SQD’s)

Primary Target Flak O/B: 2x Medium (again only roll twice)
Primary Target Flak I/B: 2x Medium (again only roll twice)

Primary Target Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud (No modifiers)
Secondary Target Weather: N/A
Base Weather: Good 1/10 Cloud Cover (No modifiers)

(20th FG P-47’s outbound, 355th FG P47’s inbound) {Note; as of August we can pick up Friendly fighters in Zone 6, got-ta love drop tanks.}
Zone 2 outbound: good
Zone 3 outbound: fair
Zone 4 outbound: poor
Zone 5 outbound: fair
Zone 5 inbound: none
Zone 4 inbound: poor
Zone 3 inbound: fair
Zone 2 inbound: good

Note: Gents, don’t forget to add your Squadron Positions modifiers to the above Gazetteer values.

Mission Special Rules:

A) As you will read in the 303 BGs report below, the wing missed the IP due to sunny conditions on their first run and went around for a second attempt, which still had sunny conditions. To replicate this misfortune follow the special rule following;

Sequence in the target zone from first entry:
i) Zone 5 O/B – Roll for Enemy A/C and Friendly fighters as normal. Resolve combat if any.
ii) Roll flak as normal. Resolve any damage incurred.
iii) Bomb Run: Are you nuts? You can’t see a &@^^# thing! We are Going around boys!
iv) Roll for back side Flak. Resolve any damage incurred.
v) No fighter attacks. They are organizing a party after the drop.
vi) Bomb run, finally. Roll a d6, on a 1-3 you continue as normal, on a 4-6 you don’t drop your eggs (bombs) and carry them to Zone 4 and jettison in open water. We are over occupied Europe not Germany.
vii) Back side Flak, AGAIN! Yes. Resolve any damage incurred.
viii) Zone 5 I/B, Enemy reception will be stiff. ALL Bombers will use the +2 zone modifier, regardless of squadron Position, on the exit of the target zone.
ix) Finally proceed to Zone 4 I/B
x) Don’t shoot the messenger, I just print them as I see them!

Mission Map:

-Historical Mission:
(from “The Mighty 8th War Diary by R.A.Freeman) Mission 85 The Mighty Eighth 1BW flew to Gilze-Rijen, Holland with 4BW flying to Woensdrecht, Netherlands.. 170 Fortresses sortied with 93 bombing their targets. There were 4 planes lost and no crewmen killed in returning Fortress’s. Nine men were wounded. Forty-two men were listed MIA. Part of the 4BW was still in North Africa and didn’t sortie in Europe on this day.

The 303rd operation notes, for their mission 61, Again the 303rd crews reported light but accurate flak this is the reason for the none standard flak chart for a second mission…

-An excerpt from the 303rd BG report:
”All aircraft were airborne and there were no abortions. Each B-17 carried 24 100-lb.General Purpose bombs. The Group left the English coast in poor combat wing formation. The lead Group failed to drop its bombs after reaching the initial point. The poor bomb run, ground haze and sun made it impossible for the 303rd BG (H) to pick out the target. After falling back into Wing formation, a second bomb run was attempted by the 303rd BG (H) while the other Groups headed for home without making another bomb run.

On the second 303rd BG (H) bomb run, bombardier 1Lt LeRoy V. Gordon could not find the target due to sun glare and didn't drop his bombs. Ten Group B-17s did drop their bombs. By this time the other two Groups were 10 to 15 miles ahead of the 303rd BG(H), leaving them alone. About 20 to 30 enemy fighters attacked the Group when no U.S. Fighter support materialized. The 10 aircraft that didn't drop their bombs on the bomb run jettisoned their bombs in the water when the heavy fighter attacks began. Persistent head-on attacks were made out of the sun. Crews were unanimous in stating that they had never seen enemy fighters come in so close. The Group, separated from the rest of the combat Wing, was subjected to continuous fighter attacks until 10 miles off the enemy coast.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
**Please read and follow as it will help me collate the information for the roster thread** Thank You!

Again, please remember I would like players to, at a minimum, list the Crew (pilots name with rank and Planes name of their Fortress at the beginning of all AAR post to help me facilitate updating the Roster List? Please use the format below as this will help me create the list in a timely manor.

If this format is not followed I may have to pass over your record as it takes more time to compile than it should have to. Adding this information will make it much easier to assemble this extra fluff for our campaign. Please remember to also add your pilot’s rank.

Thank You!

EXAMPLE wrote:
Pilot: 1st Lt.. Andy Anybody
B-17: "Bombs Alot/Miss Alot"

Also please add your Bombardment Squadron somewhere at the top too. This will help me in data entry. i.e. 154th BS

P.S. As I am keeping stats of the campaign for mission reports could you list your enemy aircraft probable and damage information as well as your kills in one short entry. Example: (KIA = 5, Prob = 2 & Damg = 5)

Jim P cool
Thanks....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
281st BG (V) Aircraft Roster for Mission 85 [Gilze-Rijen, Holland. A/D]

- Player's Squadron Assignment can be found at this thread: Squadron Assignment

- Squadron Positions for this mission can be found at this thread: Squadron Positions

Mission : (Volunteers)
---- Lead: 2nd Lt Carl Robledo's Crew in "Lucky Lucy"
---- Tail: 2nd Lt. Roger Daley's Crew in The Great Karzy (B-17F-30-VE-42-5858)

151st BS - BG:
Capt. Seth Gecko's Crew in "Santanico Pandemonium" [AAR]
1st Lt. Carl Blackburn's Crew in "Squawkin' Hawk" [AAR]
1st Lt. Robert Schoens Crew in "Silver Dollar" [AAR]
1st Lt. George Gidos's "Creeping Death" [AAR]
1st Lt. Lester Husby's Crew in "Maid'n America" [AAR]

152nd BS - BB:
1st Lt. A. Jackson's Crew in "Fort McHenry" (B-17F-125-B0 42-30916) [AAR]
1st Lt. Kevin Ward's Crew in "Pot of Gold B17F-105-BO-42-120205" [AAR] Assumed LEAD after Z5-I/B
2nd Lt Steve Boland's Crew in “Belle of the Ball” [AAR] (Lost)
2nd Lt Carl Robledo's Crew in "Lucky Lucy" [AAR] LEAD A/C (Lost)

153rd BS - GB:
Major Edward Acton's Crew in "Belle of Baltimore II" (B-17F-115 42-30669) [AAR]
Capt. Benjamin Willard's Crew in "The Crystal Ship" [AAR] (Lost)
1st Lt. Jack Armstrong's Crew in "Nasty Boys" (B-17F-40-B0 42-5246) [AAR] (Ditched)
2nd Lt. Joe Friday's Crew in "JUST THE FLAK MA'AM" [AAR]
2nd Lt. Tom Harris's Crew in “Here We Go Again” [AAR] (Lost)

154st BS - GG:
Capt. Walter Zabalaoui's Crew in "Tru Bella III" (B-17F-120-B0 42-30741) [AAR] 1st Report (Lost)
1st Lt. Pete Velasquez Crew in "Purr-Boom 2" [AAR] (Lost)
2nd Lt. Roger Daley's Crew in The Great Karzy (B-17F-30-VE-42-5858) [AAR] Tail A/C (Abort)
2nd Lt Jeffrey Grainger's Crew in "Havana Dancer" [AAR] (Lost)

Lt. Col. Chase Pfalzstaff
Deptuy Commander
Elveden Hall, UK
3rd Bombardment Wing HQ

(edits; Crews added)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir, The Lucy volunteers for Lead position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Zone 5: +2 H (all SQD’s)

Is this modified by squadron location? or is the drm a +2 regardless of squadron location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StocktonDave wrote:
Quote:
Zone 5: +2 H (all SQD’s)

Is this modified by squadron location? or is the drm a +2 regardless of squadron location?

Dave it is, a drm of +2 regardless of squadron location..

Good luck!
Jim cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a bright flash in the sky over Gilze-Rijen. Soldat Hans Schmidt, loader for number 4, 88 antiaircraft gun, looked up as a dirty black cloud rained pieces of what used to by a B-17 down from the sky.

“Unterfeldwebel! I think we hit one!”

“I think you’re right Hans, now get some more ammunition. There are plenty more Americans to shoot at today.”

POW accounts after the war by Sergeants Hancock (Radio Op) and Baker (Port Waist) state that after coming around for a second go at the target, B-17E Lucky Lucy was struck by multiple flak bursts. One of which exploded in the port wing , detonating the inboard fuel tanks. Hancock and Baker were the only ones to exit the Lucy.

Private Leadbetter knocked on the door to Lt. Col. Pfalzstaff's office.

Sir, here's the personnel files for the crew of the new replacement B-17 "Cloud Cover"

The Lt.Col raised an eyebrow, "Australians?"

"Yes sir, on assignment from RAF Coastal Command".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir

1st Lt. Daley and the crew of the Great Karzey will grab the tail by the horns....err, I mean we will fly tail sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain
England
Elegantly Wasted
flag msg tools
Alumini of Dogwarts University - Double First : Engineering for Dogs
mbmbmbmbmb
jeywhy wrote:
Sir

1st Lt. Daley and the crew of the Great Karzey will grab the tail by the horns....err, I mean we will fly tail sir.

The crew of the Havana Dancer salute you Sir shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gentlemen, our lead and tail end charlie crews will be;

---- Lead: 2nd Lt Carl Robledo's Crew in "Lucky Lucy
---- Tail: 2nd Lt. Roger Daley's Crew in The Great Karzy (B-17F-30-VE-42-5858)

Good luck and Gods Speed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Sir, here's the personnel files for the crew of the new replacement B-17 "Cloud Cover"

The Lt.Col raised his eyebrows, "Australians?"

"Yes sir, on assignment from RAF Coastal Command".

After the private left Pfalzstaff thought to himself...

"Oh Great, Dad had some animated stories of the Aussie's during the Great War..."

"...Probably the Brits dumping their problem crews!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buffmeister wrote:
jeywhy wrote:
Sir

The crew of the Havana Dancer salute you Sir shake

No sweat buddy, it's just our turn in the barrel. But you had better Keep an eye on us because if we go down it's a fifty fifty chance that you get the tail for the rest of the trip. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd R
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report (AAR)
Pilot: 1st Lt. A. Jackson
B-17: Fort McHenry (Mission 1)
Squadron: 152nd Bomber Squadron, 281st Bombardment Group
Mission: Mission 85, August 19, 1943
Target: Gilze-Rijen Holland. A/D (Airdrome & Storehouses)

Crew Assigned: Position: Rank & Name (mission #) Casualties, Kills, Probable, Damaged

Bombardier: 2nd Lt. G. Armistead (1) LW, P: 1-109
Navigator: 2nd Lt. WH Harrison (4) K: 1-190, P: 1-109
Pilot: 1st Lt. A Jackson (2)
Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt. S. Decatur (4)
Engineer: Mst. Sgt. OH Perry (4) P: 1-109
Radio Oper.: T.Sgt. W. Scott (4) K: 1-109
Ball Gunner: Sgt. H. Dearborn (4) K: 1-190, P:1-190,1-109
Pt Waist G: Sgt. W. Hull (4)
Stbd Waist G: Sgt. A. Holmes (1)
Tail Gunner: Sgt. J. Elliott (4) LW, K: 1-109

Fighters Encountered: Ace: 3, Average: 12 , Green: 2

Enemy Fighters Hit: (KIA = 4, Prob = 5, Damg = 0)

Bomb Run: Jettisoned into sea, not able to locate target due to weather conditions

B-17 Damage: Tail Gunner O2, Pilot Control Cables, Engine #2, Starboard Flap, Port Cheek Gun

Landing: Safe landing at base in England

Special Note: N/A

Mission Description: Filed by 1st Lt. A Jackson

When it was announced at the briefing this morning that we were attacking the Luftwaffe at Gilze-Rijen the men were pleased. The more planes we destroy on the ground the less to attack us in the air

The outbound flight was uneventful. We saw no fighters until we entered the target zone and we sustained no damage. Then the target run.

Approaching the target, we were missed by the medium flak. Lt. Armistead took us in for the bomb run. I waited, and waited, and waited for him to make the drop. Decatur and I shared a glance and wondered what was going on. Then it came in over the radio that the target was not visible and we were going to come around a second time! We were missed by flak the second time in as well. Then during our re-approach we waited and waited and waited for Armistead’s drop. Finally, I called the green bombardier on the intercom:
“What the heck is going on up there?” I demanded.
“I can’t see the target sir,” Armistead reported in a panicked voice.
“Then let’s abort and head for home,” I decided “I’m not dropping bombs on Dutch school children”

Inbound away from the target, the flak caught us in the tail and set Sgt. Elliot’s oxygen system on fire. He managed to put the fire out, but we could no longer maintain altitude. I took the Fort to 10,000 feet and jettisoned the bombs into the Channel.

Out of formation, the fighters jumped us in wave after wave. We punished the Luftwaffe for coming after us and their aim was poor. We sustained some minor damage to the Fort and Lt. Armistead and Sgt. Elliot sustained light wounds. We landed safely at the base. Mst. Sgt Perry reports that repairs are underway and the plane will be fully operational in time for the next mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As wingman to the lead bomber in the 152nd BS, the Pot of Gold took over as lead following the destruction of the Lucky Lucy.

AAR to follow.

1st Lt. Kevin Ward
152nd BS, 281st BG(H)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Grabiner
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After Action Report

B-17: Pot of Gold B17F-105-BO-42-120205
Pilot: 1st Lt. Kevin Ward
Squadron: 152nd
Mission: 85 (this bomber 1)
Date: August 19, 1943
Target: Gilze-Rijen, Aerodrome
Position: Middle squadron, middle, took over as lead zone 5 back

Crew Status:
Pilot 1st Lt. Kevin Ward (4)
Copilot 2nd Lt. Jason Porter (4)
Bombardier 2nd Lt. James Ferguson (1)
Navigator 2nd Lt. Wally Monroe (1)
Engineer MSgt. Fred Hansen (4)
Radio Operator Sgt. Dave Oxford (4)
Ball Gunner Sgt. James Szymanski * (2)
Port Waist Sgt. Victor Markowitz (2)
Starboard Waist Sgt. Stephen Roberts ** (4)
Tail Gunner Sgt. Charles Vaughan **** (4)
* = 1 kill
# = 5 kills

Bomb Run: 30%
Fighters claimed: 2 killed, 2 probable, 1 damaged
Ball Gunner Sgt. Szymanski: 1 Me-110
Starboard Waist Sgt. Roberts: 1 FW-190

B-17 Status:
No substantive shell damage; four superficial hits
Starboard waist gun jammed and broken

Replacements:
None

Debrief:
The Pot of Gold had a golden day in its maiden mission. We dropped our
bombs on target, outgunned the Luftwaffe in the air, and returned
home with almost no damage.

Resistance outbound was light; we encountered only two fighters, damaged
them both, and they missed us. However, our group couldn't find the
target; the Lucky Lucy, in the lead, radioed the group that we would be
trying a second pass. On the second pass, we had the target in sight.

We were in second position, right behind the Lucky Lucy. As we set up
the bomb run, Lucy took a flak hit and her port wing exploded; we saw
only two chutes. That left us in the lead, with Lt. Ferguson the rookie
toggler, but he did his job, with eight of 24 bombs hitting the
aerodrome.

As we ascended from the bomb run, the Luftwaffe was waiting for us.
Fortunately, the 355th FG now has drop tanks, and we had some P-47s
waiting for us as well. With us in the lead, there were too many
fighters approaching from the nose for Lt. Ferguson to target them all,
but he saw two FW-190s shot down by our Little Friends. We still had to
face twelve fighters before we got out of the Netherlands.

Sgt. Roberts reported a lot of fighters attacking from 3:00, out of the
morning sun as we were flying northwest. However, most of them seemed
to be green pilots, and it showed. Sgt. Roberts himself killed one with
spray fire and drove off another, although the spray fire jammed his
gun. Sgt. Szymanski hit another in the engine and the pilot bailed
out. MSgt. Hansen hit a third in the wing; that plane kept flying but
its fire was way off and it turned tail quickly.

We took a few shell hits from fighters at our nose, but no damage was
reported other than the need to take the starboard waist gun apart to
clear the jam. After a good landing, we had just a few holes to patch,
and nose art to repaint.

1st Lt. Kevin Ward
152nd BS, 281st BG(H)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
...Private Leadbetter knocked on the door to Lt. Col. Pfalzstaff's office...

Chase looked at the hapless ex-PFC Leadbetter with rueful admiration.

"Leadbetter, you are one lucky son of a gun, do you know that ? If Redshirt hadn't missed his flight back to Coastal Command and volunteered for Captain Willard's ship, you would have been replacement waist gunner instead, and you would now be MIA over Holland. So, if it's not too much trouble, do you think you could get THE DAMNED FILING IN ORDER !!!"

angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian morris
United Kingdom
lichfield
staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Gilze-Rijen AAR

Mission 85/Bomber 9
Squadron : 153rd
Pilot : Captain Willard
B-17 : The Crystal Ship

Crew :-

Pilot Cptn Willard (9)
CoPilot Lt Kilgore
Navigator Lt Manzarek ** (9)
Bombardier Lt Kurtz ** (9)
Engineer Mstr Sgt Phillips #**^ (9)
Radio Operator Sgt Lucas
Ball Turret Sgt Johnson ###**^ (9)
Waist Gunner Sgt Colbey
Waist Gunner Sgt Redshirt
Tail Turret Sgt Corman

() : missions previously completed.
# : 5 fighters previously claimed.
* : fighters previously claimed.
^ : half fighter previously claimed.

Fighters claimed : 1 x Me 109 KIA. 1 x FW 190 Probable, 2 x Me 109, 1 x FW 190 damaged. Numerous enemy aircraft engaged by fighter cover.
Bombing results : DNB.
Injuries : Light wound for Sergeant Colbey. All crew MIA.

Debrief

"The Crystal Ship was engaged by Me 109s in zones 2 and 4, claiming one kill and two damaged. Sergeant Colbey was reported to have received a minor injury at this time. Approaching the target area, Crystal Ship reported that it was under attack from five FW 190s, but was being assisted by friendly fighters. 153rd Squadron reports one FW 190 diving vertically through their formation at this time, it is thought that this plane caused a fuel tank fire in the Crystal Ship's port wing, and it dived from formation, possibly in an attempt to extinguish the fire. Subsequently, nine parachutes were seen by witnesses. Whereabouts of the crew is currently unknown."

Captain Kyle Love, 153rd Squadron Adjutant, preliminary report to Squadron Leader Major Acton and Group Operations Commander Pfalzstaff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the bombers of the 154th BS head out over the channel towards Holland, the first enemy fighters sweep down towards the tail section chased by P-47s of the 20th FG.

Flashes of light can be seen from the guns of both attacking fighters and the tail bomber. Two vapour trails result from the exchange; one a spiraling arc that descends into a white ring of foam on the sea surface; the other, a broad silver trail stretching back from the starboard wing of the bomber.

a radio crackles into life, "All Greenhorns, all Greenhorns, this is Greenhorn Dog, I am arr tee bee due to a lack of fuel. I say again I am arr tee bee. Whoever takes the tail spot, we will stand them the first round of drinks. Good luck guys. Greenhorn Dog, out."

The Great Karzey salutes its sister aircraft with a slight roll to starboard, then port and afterward makes a slow descending turn to starboard, heading South West. No longer trailing precious fuel from the now empty fuel tank but seeking the safety of East Anglia and an unexpected early return to base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Yeardley
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bucks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B-17: B-17F-30-VE-42-5858 The Great Karzy; Call sign: Greenhorn Dog
Pilot: 1st Lt. Roger Daley
Squadron: 154th BS
Mission: 85 This bomber (4)
Date: August 19 1943
Target: Gilze Rejen - airdrome / storehouses
Position: low low tail end

Crew Status:
Pilot 1st Lt. Roger Daley (16)
Co-pilot 2nd Lt. Oliver Reckitt (7)
Bombardier 2nd Lt. Inigo Tinkle (4); Kills (0)
Navigator 2nd LtHorace Strong (1); Kills (0)
Engineer Stf. Sgt. Eustice Tewle (14); Kills (17.5)
Radio Operator Sgt. Percy Snoop (4); Kills (0)
Ball Gunner Stf. Sgt. Nicholas Parts (16); Kills (8)
Port Waist Sgt. James Bailey (2) ; Kills (0)
Starboard Waist Sgt. Pete Golightly (2); Kills (0)
Tail Gunner Stf. Sgt. James (Jimmy) Widdle (16); Kills (18.5)
1st brackets (Mission Number)

Bomb Drop:
Mission Aborted.

Fighters Claimed:
Kills:-
Me 110 x 0
Me 109 x 1
Fw 190 x 0

Probables:-
Me 110 x 0
Me 109 x02
Fw 190 x 0

Damaged:
Me 110 x 0
Me 109 x 1
Fw 190 x 0

Medal Recommendations:
1st Lt. Roger Daley Purple Heart

B-17 Status:

22 Peckham points.

port wing x1 SD, Stbd wing outer fuel tank punctured and would not self seal, Pilot light wound to right hand

Number of fighter attacks: 2 from 5 fighters
Number of fighters driven off: 4
Number of fighters downed: 1
Fighter hits 3

Flak:
No hits

Mission Report
This has to be the briefest mission we have ever flown. In zone 2 we were sighted by a schwarm of Me109s. Of the 5 that headed our way only two made it through the fighter cover. Jimmy’s twin MG’s despatched the one coming from 12 o’clock as it passed his tail position but the other at 3 high put a big hole in our starboard outer fuel tank. When that guy came round for another go at us our little friends drove him away.

Even though the damage was slight the impact was a major blow to the mission. Ollie, my co-pilot, took one look at the fuel streaming out of the starboard wing tank then pointed to the dial rapidly unwinding down towards zero and told me that even he knew that we could not make it to the drop zone and back on the fuel we had left. This was confirmed by my engineer, so we plotted a course to the bomb dumping area, cast off our eggs and returned to base.

The bandage round my hand? It’s nothing, I didn’t even realise I had been hit until I took my flight glove off and found it was full of blood.

We didn’t get chance to do our job today sir so I respectfully request that the next time the 154th is in the low-low, The Karzey will take the tail position.

1st Lt. Roger Daley

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeywhy wrote:
B-17: B-17F-30-VE-42-5858 The Great Karzy; Call sign: Greenhorn Dog
Pilot: 1st Lt. Roger Daley
Squadron: 154th BS
Mission: 85 This bomber (4)
Date: August 19 1943
Target: Schweinfurt Ball Bearing factory
Position: low low tail end

It's lucky you returned to base early.

It would have been very lonely all by yourself in the skies over Schweinfurt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the 154th entered the target zone a swarm of Me109s continued their attacks upon the squadron, picking out a bomber that seemed to be loosely tucked into the formation. As a particularly skilled Me109 racked the Fortress there was a deafening sound...

all that was left was a few bits tumbling towards the earth. One of the crews report seeing a smoldering tail bit fluttering aimlessly to the ground.

The plane in question here is believed to be Capt. Zabalaoui’s plane 230741.

Edit! OH Darn it, I had a rabbits foot I forgot about... Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
Washington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Report coming in....

152nd Squadron - Belle of the Ball

The plane was seen to take a direct flak hit to the pilot compartment. The plane fell apart in front of everyones eyes and plummeted down. No chutes spotted.

Major Young was shocked at the report, "Are they sure no chutes?" He had flown with them last mission and three of the crew were still in the hospital.

Crew/Status/Actions:
All presumed KIA
Pilot: 2nd Lt. Jason Weber (0)

Co-Pilot: 2nd Lt Steve Boland (0)

Bombardier: 2nd Lt. Pat White (0)
Aircraft Claimed -

Navigator: 2nd Lt H.W. McBride (1)
Aircraft Claimed -

Flt Engineer: T Sgt Leon Parker (1)
Aircraft claimed - 1

R/O: Sgt. Peter McQueen (0)

Ball Gnr: Sgt. Obadiah Harris (1)
Aircraft claimed -

Port Wst: Sgt. Tom Watson (1)
Aircraft claimed -

Strb Wst: Sgt. Jerry Montgomery (1)
Aircraft claimed -

Tail Gnr: Sgt. Nick Goodheart (1)
Aircraft claimed –

() – Number of missions completed inclusive
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel K. Edwards
United States
El Centro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
B-17: Purr-Boom 2 (2)
Pilot: 1LT Pete Velasquez
Squadron: 154th
Mission: 85
Date: August 19, 1943
Target: Gilze Rejen - airdrome / storehouses
Position: Low-Low

Crew Status:
Pilot 1LT Pete Velasquez (2) MIA - Presumed POW
Copilot 2LT John Smith (2) MIA - Presumed POW
Bombardier 2LT Kenneth Rolfe (1) MIA - Presumed POW
Navigator 2LT Casey Breen (1) MIA - presumed POW
Engineer MSgt. Adam Laughery (2) MIA Presumed POW
Radio Op Sgt. Charles Davis (2) MIA - Presumed POW
Ball Gunner Sgt. William Moffitt (1) MIA - Presumed POW
P Waist Sgt. John Kiely (1) MIA - Presumed POW
Sb Waist Sgt. Karl Olsen (1) MIA - presumed POW
Tail Gunner Sgt. Larry Templeton (2) MIA - Presumed POW
Bomb Drop: 0%.

Claims: 0/1/0 Probable = 1xBf109

After turning from target (DNB), flak hit the PURR BOOM2, causing E2 prop to runaway. It could not be feathered and Lt. Velasquez ordered his crew to bail out.

Radio Intercept 20 August 1943: Radio Holland reports a B-17 bomber crashed near the village of Loop op Zand, exploding and killing several innocent citizens of the Reich. Local military authorities believe this was one of a number of bombers that made an attack against the peace loving people of Holland. Authorities said that a number of American aircrewmen have been captured and are now being questioned by German military authorities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
5 crews lost of 8 so far. A black day indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
5 crews lost of 8 so far. A black day indeed.

I really dislike thumbing reports of lost crews, but the war must go on.

We obviously stirred up a hornet's nest when Schweinfurt was hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.