Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had gone a couple of years without buying many wargames. Oh sure, the periodic Commands & Colors: Ancients expansion, a couple of GMT games with novel themes or mechanics (e.g. Space Empires: 4X and FAB: Sicily), but for the most part, things had been quiet.

Then I ask about World War Two grand strategy games...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/755330/wanting-to-game-w...
...and get a bunch of great responses. Then I read Billyboy's excellent thread on WW2 East Front wargaming...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/377160/east-front-ww-2-g...
...which gets my mind working overtime.

Thanks to all of you guys and your 'great' input, over the past two weeks I just ended up spending a crapton of money on a bunch of games!

World War II: European Theater of Operations
World War II: Pacific Theater of Operations
Europe Engulfed
Asia Engulfed
Stalingrad Pocket (second edition)
Fire in the East (one of my holiest grails!)

Then, all on my own, I surrender to the completist in me and pony up for more Axis & Allies naval miniatures. I can't blame you guys for this one.

Axis & Allies War at Sea: Surface Action + the Revised Starter Set!

This forum is like the freakin' mob...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb

Wargames! You just can't help yourself.

They're like maple bacon donuts. You just gotta. Have. One. More. Then another...and another...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Heath
China
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

They're like maple bacon donuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Starlifter 88
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jpr755 wrote:

Wargames! You just can't help yourself.

They're like maple bacon donuts. You just gotta. Have. One. More. Then another...and another...

I felt a pain in my chest just looking at that

My bank account does not appreciate this forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome,
Just remember you can't get Fire in the Eastwithout getting Scorched Earth. The two go hand in hand (IMO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Look what you guys made me do! (spreading the guilt)

I honestly don't feel the least bit guilty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you bought a nice bunch of games.

But it is utmost important that you look into

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! and Axis Empires: Dai Senso!

even if only for the knowledge you gain and the answers you can give when someone asks you about the difference between your ETO / PTO and the two mentioned by me. devil

And beside everything: The games I mentioned are really great.

You know: Everybody has to contribute to this forums - so I don't pitty you

Have fun with the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
This forum is like the freakin' mob...

There is no escape!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to look into Operational Combat Series as well, you haven't played a wargame till you've tried OCS. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/80/operational-comb...

Also recommend that you look in to Total Bankrupt...oops Total War... the new and improved version of Fire in the East/Scorch Earth.

What about World in Flames, you bought a sh#t load of games and nobody told you to buy my favorite strategic treatment of WWII? Man, get your head out of the dirt! This isn't just a simulation, its the best game ever made.

Don't even get me started on the East Front Series from GMT... http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamefamily/116/gmt-east-front-... You haven't even begun my friend...

AND what about Decision games reprint of Wacht am Rhein & its new companion Hurtgen: Hell's Forest... Come on you are missing out... While you're at it, you've GOT to preorder their new version of Atlantic Wall, absolute classic.

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! & Axis Empires: Dai Senso! has my favorite political treatment of WWII of them all. I must have and play.

You also need to pre-order GMT's re-print of A World at War, its the revival of the classic Advanced Third Reich System to include the Pacific. With the upcoming improvements, its a must own.

Welcome to the Greek Economy... Buy all these and I'll start feeling a pang of guilt... What you've bought is laughable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if it makes you guys feel any better, I have an OCS game on pre-order Korea: The Forgotten War, plus two East Front series games, Barbarossa: Army Group North, 1941 and Barbarossa: Army Group South, 1941. Also, I already own World in Flames, thank you very much. I also have another 5 or 6 games on pre-order. And, yeah, I'd love to pick up Scorched Earth, but it's usually going for an arm and a leg on eBay!

You guys are just no help at all, and merciless to boot! I mean, Merciless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:

I have just ordered Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!; I am skeptical how this system works in the Pacific...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

I have just ordered Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!; I am skeptical how this system works in the Pacific...

The political development in China is remarkably historical & and ahistorical at the same time.... you know what I mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

The political development in China is remarkably historical & and ahistorical at the same time.... you know what I mean.

I'm more skeptical about the military angle. The naval abstraction that works well in Europe, not so sure about Asia/Pacific. I felt the same way about whatever the "Third Reich goes to the Pacific" game was called.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No sympathy, only empathy. shake

My game buying goes in fits and starts as well. I've gone years without buying more than a game or two, and then in 2010 I bought 17, 2011 brought another 14. So far this year I've picked up 3. Not sure what the rest of the year will bring...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Payne
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I am weak, I am weak...

In my quest to play as many WWII squad-level systems as possible, I have ordered Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit Expansion Pack #1 and ATS TT: Drop Zone Normandy. Naturally I need both for comparative purposes... I didn't try that justification with SWMBO though. I think I'm becoming an apprentice grog...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
Garfink wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

I'm more skeptical about the military angle. The naval abstraction that works well in Europe, not so sure about Asia/Pacific. I felt the same way about whatever the "Third Reich goes to the Pacific" game was called.

Wendell, what WWII strategic wargames do you think do a good job of doing the Pacific ... I've heard about problems with WiF regarding ground based air getting wierd with certain ports.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
Wendell, what WWII strategic wargames do you think do a good job of doing the Pacific ... I've heard about problems with WiF regarding ground based air getting wierd with certain ports.

Not sure. WIF at least makes the naval stuff in the Pacific interesting - in WIF you can end up with big naval battles between carriers, etc. There is a debate about whether land-based air is too powerful with respect to carrier air, for sure (more true if using Planes in Flames). And the oddity that using 2d10 combat, putting an armored corps on Truk is a good idea for the defender! (WIF doesn't distinguish between the size of the land area in a hex.)

Actually I like Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945. And I haven't really played it but I think Empire of the Sun might be a good one, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Jurin
United States
Great Neck
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeb123 wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Garfink wrote:
wifwendell wrote:
Alphawolf wrote:

I'm happy with WIFFE in the Pacific, although as Wendell says, we have endless debates on the strength of land based air vs. carrier based air. I think WIFFE is little weak on actions that are smaller than the corps level, so some campaigns that were fought with fewer troops don't simulate as well.

The big things - the war in Russia, the Allies in the West, the carrier war, the Battle of the Atlantic (although this can use some improvement) , the strategic bombing campaign - these are very well done. However, WIFFE is probably not as strong on something like simulating the historic island hopping, and the Guadalcanal campaign, won't be as important as it was in real life.

Nonetheless, I've played the Pacific Campaign in WIFFE many times - it is really quite good and can be played in less than a quarter of the time as the full 39 campaign game. It is amazing how important getting the Pacific resources that the CW has out safely has on the game. It also does a very good job of simulating the importance of the air, naval, and land units and their relative importance.

The key to the WIFFE Pacific campaign is operational/strategic balance. Both players need to keep their convoy lines intact, but it is also important not to break out your forces and be vulnerable to having smaller forces overwhelmed. Deciding on convoy, raiding, submarine use, along with holding a large main battle fleet is a central challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad, not bad.

I'm still looking to find local opponents with time and space to play Europa, OCS, and/or EFS games with.

Looking forward to linking up Guderian's Blitzkrieg II with Case Blue. Or playing the entire EFS series, all linked up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Not bad, not bad.

I'm still looking to find local opponents with time and space to play Europa, OCS, and/or EFS games with.

Looking forward to linking up Guderian's Blitzkrieg II with Case Blue. Or playing the entire EFS series, all linked up.

No problem at all, just 3 meager points
a) "driving" to my home might be a bit "cumbersome"
b) the "Missis"
c) making sure that I have some income since I appreciate a beer or some food when playing for half-a-year or so
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Or playing the entire EFS series, all linked up.

I would be happy to see at least the two non-announced missing titles
- EFS: Stalingrad
- EFS: Army Group A (Caucasus)

if I remember some of the titles right.

And this is only the "forward" - momentum which leaves us with a bunch of units for the Russian "go-west" movement...

Come on, Vance, hammer out the rest and THEN think about reprints...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:

I know what you mean...

And this is only the friendly and bright side of the guys hanging around here... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alphawolf wrote:
desertfox2004 wrote:

I know what you mean...

And this is only the friendly and bright side of the guys hanging around here... devil

You evil man... I am reading the rules to Korsun's Pocket (That Mr. Wolfgang sold to me) now and will be putting it through its paces next week...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
jeb123 wrote:

Not sure. WIF at least makes the naval stuff in the Pacific interesting - in WIF you can end up with big naval battles between carriers, etc. There is a debate about whether land-based air is too powerful with respect to carrier air, for sure (more true if using Planes in Flames). And the oddity that using 2d10 combat, putting an armored corps on Truk is a good idea for the defender! (WIF doesn't distinguish between the size of the land area in a hex.)

Actually I like Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945. And I haven't really played it but I think Empire of the Sun might be a good one, too.

+1 for EotS.

About 16 months ago, I was down in Oklahoma City at my favorite FLGS and I held Fire in the Sky in my hands. It was 2nd hand, looked great and costs about $25. I put it back because I had bought a couple of other games and didn't know too much about it.

*Headslap*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quit fighting it Leo. Just give in. it'll be better that way.

Besides, there ain't no one here who seems the least bit guilty. If you have to, just blame Billyboy. That's what I do.
shake

And I like that armor in Truk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.