Trevor Bistonath
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Nothing crushes us
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following game of Forbidden Island was played solo on the normal difficulty level. The adventurers randomly drawn were the engineer and the explorer.

SETUP:
GAME BOARD (from the top):
Row 1: Copper Gate, Twilight Hollow
Row 2: Observatory, Dunes of Deception, Temple of the Moon, Silver Gate
Row 3: Cave of Shadows, Temple of the Sun, Crimson Forest, Howling Garden, Watchtower, Iron Gate
Row 4: Misty Marsh, Cliffs of Abandon, Phantom Rock, Bronze Gate, Cave of Embers, Fools Landing
Row 5: Gold Gate, Whispering Garden, Coral Palace, Tidal Palace
Row 6: Breakers Bridge, Lost Lagoon

FLOODED:
Observatory, Copper Gate, Silver Gate, Twilight Hollow, Breakers Bridge, Gold Gate

STARTING HANDS:
Engineer: Helicopter Lift, tSofW
Explorer: Waters Rise!/tCoF, tCoF

ROUND 1:
ENGINEER:
Actions: Move to Whispering Garden (2), Shore up Gold Gate and Breakers Bridge (1)
Cards Drawn: tSotW, TES/Lost Lagoon, Watchtower

EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Copper Gate (1), Shore up Twilight Hollow (1), Shore up Observatory (1)
Cards Drawn: tSotW, Waters Rise!/Lost Lagoon (sinks), Observatory

Comments: I thought that I would start off with some damage control and was pleased to shore up five islands. Lost Lagoon sank to my suprise and I looked forward to the Statue of the Wind being my first captured treasure.

ROUND 2:
ENGINEER:
Actions: Move to Phantom Rock (1)
Cards Drawn: tCoF, tES (Cards Discarded: tCoF)/Watchtower (sinks), Twilight Hollow

EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Observatory (1) Move to Temple of the Moon (1) Shore up Silver Gate (1)
Cards Drawn: Helicoper Lift, Waters Rise!/Twilight Hollow (sinks), Observatory, Breakers Bridge

Comments: There was not much for the engineer to do, so I moved the pawn to a more central location. I used the explorer to shore up the islands in the immediate area and then moved the pawn towards the engineer in anticipation of giving cards.

ROUND 3:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Move to Crimson Forest (1), Shore up Observatory (1) Move to Phantom Rock (1)
Cards Drawn: tSotW, tSofW (Cards Discarded: tSotW, Helicopter Lift)/Gold Gate, Silver Gate, Copper Gate

ENGINEER:
Actions: Give tSotW (1), Give tSotW (1) (Explorer discards tCoF), Shore up Gold Gate (1)
Cards Drawn: Waters Rise!, tCoF/Observatory, Silver Gate (sinks), Copper Gate (sinks)

Comments: I was attempting to capture the Statue of the Wind treasure. The islands lost to this point did not seem to be of any significant value.

ROUND 4:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Move to Whispering Garden (1), Capture tSotW (1), Shore up Breakers Bridge (1)
Cards Drawn: tES, tOC/Breakers Bridge, Gold Gate, Iron Gate

ENGINEER:
Actions: Move to Whispering Garden (1), Shore up Gold Gate (1), Shore up Breakers Bridge (1)
Cards Drawn: tES, Sandbags/Cliffs of Abandon, Crimson Forest, Fools Landing

Comments: I shifted my focus to capturing the Earth Stone and to shore up Fools Landing.

ROUND 5:
ENGINEER:
Actions: Shore up Fools Landing (0/Sandbags), Give tCoF (1), Move to Phantom Rock (1), Shore up Cliffs of Abandon and Crimson Forest (1)
Cards Drawn: Sandbags, tOC (Shore up Iron Gate (0/Sandbags)/Cards Discarded: Helicopter Lift)/Phantom Rock, Dunes of Deception, Temple of the Moon

EXPLORER:
Actions: Move to Phantom Rock (1), Give tES (1), Move to Crimson Forest (1)
Cards Drawn: tES, tOC/Tidal Palace, Bronze Gate, Whispering Garden

Comments: The two adventurers were placed well on the map and almost in position to capture the Ocean's Chalice. Protecting Cave of Embers and Fools Landing was a priority.

ROUND 6:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Temple of the Moon (1), Shore up Bronze Gate (1), Move to Bronze Gate (1)
Cards Drawn: Helicopter Lift, tOC (Helicopter Lift to Phantom Rock/Cards Discarded: tES)/Temple of the Sun, Cave of Shadows, Coral Palace

ENGINEER:
Actions: Give tOC (Explorer discards tCoF), Move to Temple of the Sun (2)
Cards Drawn: tCoF, tOC (Cards Discarded: tOC)/Treasure Deck runs out/Howling Garden, Misty Marsh, Cave of Embers/Flood Draw Pile runs out

Comments: At this point, several key islands were in danger of sinking. I focused on collecting the Earth Stone and the Ocean's Chalice immediately and to shore up any important islands aling the way.

ROUND 7:
ENGINEER:
Actions: Capture tES (1), Shore up Cave of Shadows and Temple of the Sun (1), Move to Phantom Rock (1)
Cards Drawn: tSofW, tCoF/Cave of Shadows, Temple of the Moon, Tidal Palace (sinks)

EXPLORER:
Actions: Move to Coral Palace (1), Capture tOC (1), Shore up Cave of Embers (1)
Cards Drawn: Helicopter Lift, Sandbags/

Comments: I only required one more tCoF card to achieve capturing the last treasure and would be careful to use the special action cards wisely.

ROUND 8:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Move to Bronze Gate (1), Shore up Howling Garden (1), Shore up Coral Palace (1)
Cards Drawn: Waters Rise!, tSofW/Cave of Shadows (sinks), Temple of the Moon (sinks), Cave of Embers, Cliffs of Abandon

ENGINEER:
Actions: Move to Cave of Embers (2), Shore up Cave of Embers (1)
Cards Drawn: tSotW, tSotW/Crimson Forest, Fools Landing, Phantom Rock (sinks), Dunes of Deception (sinks)

Comments: Not shoring up enough islands jeopardized the Cave of Embers and Fools Landing because the Flood discard pile was not made up of many cards.

ROUND 9:
ENGINEER:
Actions: Shore up Fools Landing (1)
Cards Drawn: tOC, Waters Rise! (Cards Discarded: tOC)/Cliffs of Abandon, Crimson Forest (sinks), Fools Landing, Cave of Embers

EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Whispering Garden (1), Move to Cave of Embers (1), Shore up Fools Landing (1)
Cards Drawn: Sandbags, Waters Rise! (Shore up Cliffs of Abandon and Misty Marsh (0/Sandbags and Sandbags)/Cave of Embers, Fools Landing, Cliffs of Abandon, Iron Gate, Misty Marsh

Comments: I decided the best play would be to stay on Cave of Embers and keep shoring up that tile and Fools Landing, however the water level was only two notches away from the skull and crossbones.

ROUND 10:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Cave of Embers (1), Shore up Fools Landing (1), Give tCoF (Engineer discards tSotW)
Cards Drawn: Helicopter Lift, tES/Whispering Garden, Temple of the Sun, Gold Gate, Observatory (sinks), Coral Palace

ENGINEER:
Actions: None
Cards Drawn: tSotW, Helicopter Lift/Cards Discarded: tSotW, tSotW/Bronze Gate, Howling Garden, Breakers Bridge/Flood Draw Card Pile runs out/Bronze Gate (sinks), Fools Landing

Comments: I decided to protect Cave of Embers and Fools Landing and let the other islands sink.

ROUND 11:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Fools Landing (1), Shore up Howling Garden (1)
Cards Drawn: tCoF, tCoF/Cards Discarded: tCoF/Treasure Deck runs out/Iron Gate, Misty Marsh (sinks), Temple of the Sun (sinks), Breakers Bridge (sinks), Gold Gate (sinks)

ENGINEER:
Actions: Give tCoF (1), Give tCoF (1), Give tCoF (1) (Explorer discards tSotW, tES/Helicopter Lift Engineer to Fools Landing
Cards Drawn: tES, tOC/Howling Garden, Coral Palace, Cave of Embers, Whispering Garden, Cliffs of Abandon (sinks), Howling Garden (sinks)

Comments: I was now in position to capture the Crystal of Fire treasure and use the helicopter lift card to win the game.

ROUND 12:
EXPLORER:
Actions: Shore up Fools Landing (1) Capture tCoF (1), Move to Fools Landing (1), Helicopter Lift

Comments: The last treasure being the Crystal of Fire and the Cave of Embers being placed next to Fools Landing made collecting the treasure and escaping very easy. The engineer and the explorer adventurers special abilities were especially helpful throughout the game.

Please feel free to comment if I have played the game incorrectly, I would really appreciate the input. Thanks for reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Upon close perusal of this very detailed play log, I see you sometimes got mixed up as to whose turn it is. In some rounds, the Explorer moves first, and in some rounds, the Engineer went first. Did you transcribe it incorrectly, or did the Explorer really get two turns in a row between rounds 2 and 3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bistonath
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Nothing crushes us
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
Upon close perusal of this very detailed play log, I see you sometimes got mixed up as to whose turn it is. In some rounds, the Explorer moves first, and in some rounds, the Engineer went first. Did you transcribe it incorrectly, or did the Explorer really get two turns in a row between rounds 2 and 3?

I'm glad you pointed this out because I was actually a little confused about the order of play. The rulebook states "the player who last visited an island goes first and play continues to the left". I played the explorer twice in a row because the pawn was the last to move in round two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Fikes
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ALSB wrote:
I'm glad you pointed this out because I was actually a little confused about the order of play. The rulebook states "the player who last visited an island goes first and play continues to the left".

This is meant as a cute non-standard mechanism for determining turn order, much like Pandemic's rule that the player who was sick most recently goes first. In Forbidden Island, as in most games, turn order is ABABABAB... for a two-player game, ABCABCABC... for three players, and ABCDABCD... for four players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Bistonath
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
Nothing crushes us
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mathgrant wrote:
ALSB wrote:
I'm glad you pointed this out because I was actually a little confused about the order of play. The rulebook states "the player who last visited an island goes first and play continues to the left".

This is meant as a cute non-standard mechanism for determining turn order, much like Pandemic's rule that the player who was sick most recently goes first. In Forbidden Island, as in most games, turn order is ABABABAB... for a two-player game, ABCABCABC... for three players, and ABCDABCD... for four players.

Ok, thanks for the clarification -- I really appreciate it. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Jimenez
United States
Antioch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does this actually play well solo? I was thinking of picking it up, but i only play games that can be played well as solitaire games as well as in a group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Sarratt
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it solo quite a lot, and it's still fun (and challenging on the higher difficulty levels). You also don't have to parley with your fellow players on what the best move is - which can be both a blessing, and a curse!

I find the most difficult thing when playing solo is keeping track of which "player"'s turn it is, especially if you play with more than 2 adventurers. I therefore use one of the spare player meeple to show who's turn it is - putting that meeple on the current player's card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.