Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have really wanted TI3 ever since I saw the big box art during my sophmore year of high school. As of now I am currently over a decade grown since that moment and still have not sprung for the purchase. I am in a position where I can better afford it since then, especially with booming e-commerce, and now am heavily considering buying it. This is where I need your help as players who have played and enjoyed it as much as I had wished too. You are in a good position to ease my concerns and help guide my choice.

One of my main concerns, after being on BGG for a while and following post on the threads here, is how lacking the game would be in a 2-player environment. I mainly game with my wife and on 1-3 Saturday/Sundays a month with friends. I would need to learn and understand the game much better in order to introduce my friends to it; so how hard would that be to do with just myself and possibly my wife as well? Would we both have to play two races? Are there any solo variants?

I have watched each video made for the game which were relevant to my interests in order to get a relatively good idea of what exactly I would be getting into if I had gone through with a purchase. From what I have seen I am absolutely in love with this game but am also unsure if any of my friends would be willing to commit to playing a 4-8 hour game.

Based off of these concerns should I just look into PBF (being that this game is exactly what I want in a board game)?

On average how often does this game find itself hitting your table?

Thank you in advanced for any help you can provide

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TI3 doesn't really work as a two player game. Sure, you can play it that way but you'll be missing a lot of things.

I purchased TI3 in 2009 and it has since hit the table five times. Four times in 2009 and once in 2011. Organizing a session is really difficult even though my friends are not light gamers. The lenght of 6+ hours is much longer in reality than it might seem on paper.

Still, it definitely is a great game. Just be prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only doing two players, it's not the right game for you.

(But it is the best game ever . . . so it'd be worth making some friends to play it with! That's my problem . . . )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cédric LGT
France
PARIS (92)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This is not really doing well as a 2 player game. If you're looking for a space flavored game to play with your wife, i would rather suggest Eclipse.

On the other hand, TI3 is really good and plays nice with 3 players, with a 4 to 6 hours length.

Planning games is the hard part, espacially if you do not avoid "droppers" (like in video games actually... You do not want any of your player to "disconnect" and go home earlier).

My wife offered me the game as christmas 2010 present (we bought both expansions since) and we manage to run at least two 5-7 players games per 3 months at least. That requires a bit of plannification and a place to play by.

Edit : for typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the fast replies everyone. I may just end up holding off on this game still and will probably just end up picking up a copy of Eclipse during its re-release.

Such a shame though as I would really like to play this game. Maybe I can find some gamers locally who have a copy and would want to play; anyone in MT? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2-player variants for TI3.

The game changes with 2 players, as it becomes more chess like, and of course diplomacy with other players is completely shot.

But there was a 2-player tournament on ti3wiki.org many moons ago and I thought the 2-player was a lot of fun. The games I played were also pretty intense with many coming down to the last turn.

There is still randomness through PCs, ACs, and dice rolls.

Now, I wouldn't pay the amount TI3 costs to just play two player, but the 2-player is still pretty darn good.

Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for a game that you can happily play 2-player, that's not really TI's strength. I'd look into another game, ideally one made for 2p.

If you're looking for an event, something that brings people to the table, and will give you some of the most memorable play sessions ever, get TI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Carlough
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Free Cascadia!
badge
High adventure in the world of high finance...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo again that TI3 is not worth it as a two-player game. However, it works well enough that you can use two-player to learn the rules before teaching it to your other friends (this is what me and my wife did before we got everyone together to play a full game). It's not broken with two and there aren't any lame workarounds to make it work, like a robot player or having to play two races each; the only problem is just that the political aspects just don't work with two players and the politics and negotiation are what makes TI3 a fun game.

If you do have the extra money to spend and the ability to get the players together at least once in a while for an 8 hour game (don't fool yourself this game will take at least that long) than TI3 is totally worth it. There is no other game that really compares to an entire day of TI3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Washington Irving
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to play with two people and the game is reasonably fun. One or two games should give you enough of a rules understanding to teach the game to others and help them learn as they play. I find that most people "get it" by the end of their first game.

I get a game in about every 1-3 months and am very happy with my purchases (base+2 expos).

The Twilight Imperium third edition variants section as several threads for ways to play with 2 players. Check out the the first few pages of "hot" variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree it is possible to have fun with it 2-players. Granted, I don't know if I'd buy it JUST for the two players, but it works well in a bind. You do have to make some tweaks to make it work right, but nothing drastically changes the core mechanics - they largely focus on the needed changes to Trade and the Political game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benson Propst
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You may have all the information and advice you need, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents into the pot since I just acquired TI3 with the Shattered Empire expansion via a trade.

Quickly here was my context (similar to yours). I mainly game with my wife (who is a converted board gamer since meeting me). Though she is playing more games with me and has been smitten with games such as Power Grid, Puerto Rico, Dominion and even Lord of the Rings the Card Game, she has mentioned that playing a long game is not worthwhile because there are other things you can be doing with your time.

Therefore I was torn between pre-ordering Eclipse (which is supposed to scale well for 2 players based on the BGG reviews I've read) and TI3, which is was originally designed to play with 6 players. So what I did was pony up the money and pre-order Eclipse and trade (requires you only spending money for shipping and handling) for TI3 because for every one review that said it is way too long, there are 2-3 reviews that say you must experience the game at least once in your life and it is worth playing on those rare occasions. So you might be able to have your cake and eat it too.

Just a thought. I'm fairly optimistic and very enthusiastic about having both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uriah Harding
United States
Great Falls
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! It has been real enlightening. I ended up getting a PS Vita so I think I will just hold off until Eclipse comes out and just try to get into a local game with someone else. If I end up smitten with the game then I may get it just to have for those "rare occasions." Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.