Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Spencer
United States
Lake in the Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted to become expert in Up Front. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't have stopped playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pinnion
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was starting now my main trouble would be the same - getting opponents; so I'd probably pick up something simple and pretty, like queens gambit, or Memoir '44.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started at 13 (1988) with Axis and Allies, at that age and with no adult teachers around I'm not sure my friends and I could handle much more. I'd like to say a defining game like Up Front, but don't really know if it would have sparked the imagination of my Nintendo infused brain. The flowering of low complexity visually appealing wargames is fairly new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Boyes
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't buy any games yet!

Find a game group or club, or attend a local convention, and try out somebody else's games. Find out what you like and then buy a few games of that ilk..

You can get some really good deals at wargame e-tailers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
Operational Combat Series and Der Weltkrieg Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started buying wargames in 1970, if I had to do it over again I would concentrate on lesser known wargame companies. Not just AH. Especially in the mid 70s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy the same game

G.E.V.

awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I started in 1982, so it would probably be Victory in the Pacific followed up by Kingmaker and Squad Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
May the Great Spirit Bless all who read this.
mbmbmbmbmb
Napoleon's Triumph before it sells out. I'm very tempted to buy a second copy even now in case it does sell out and something happens to my original copy.

Does anyone own more than one copy of this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
If I could teleport back to my teen years when I got started with all this tomfoolery, I would have at least told myself to get Russian Civil War 1918-1922 (first edition). My teenaged game group would have eaten that up.

Mine sure did, back in the day. PURGE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Marsh
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squad Leader, for the programmed instruction, brilliant.
Panzer Leader, for the endless PBEM games, it never gets old
Flat Top, for the level of complexity to get lost in and the nail biting edge of your seat game play
Devil's Den, just because I love this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's NO way I'm starting all over from scratch; I like starting when I did because it allowed me to purchase the ASL modules as they were originally released.

If some frightening turn of events did force me to start over, I'd probably start with my favorite ATS game, Berlin: Red Victory, if only because the ATS games are easier to acquire right now. Or maybe one of the Lock 'n Load series games (Heroes of the Gap), because they're readily available and the graphics are more state-of-the-art than ASL's. But I'd still eventually pick up the ASL rulebook and start tracking down the core modules.

Basically, knowing what I know now, I still know I prefer squad-based tactical combat games with a wide variety of nationalities, equipment, and maps on which to play. I don't care much for historical scenarios; I like games that give me the tools with which to set up situations I create in my head, pitting different nationalities against each other in meeting engagements, assaults on fortified positions, river-crossings, last-ditch stands by outnumbered troops, etc. (Yes, Patrick, I consider myself the "dreamer" wargamer you once described in The General).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Up Front. The only one anyone really needs, after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Marshall
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick - we have almost the identical origins. I played my first wargame (AH's Nappy at Waterloo) in 1971. But the first wargame I purchased a year later was AH's Bulge...because my dad fought in the battle, as did yours (mine was waiting for Peiper in front of Liege. Which was very cool when I went with him to his outfit's 50th reunion which was held in Liege.)

If I had it to do over again now....it definitely would be Bitter Woods, and the Lock n Load system at the dawn of my wargaming life.

What I would NOT do again is buy Panzerblitz as I did (my 2nd purchase back then). Young as the hobby - and I - was then, I was so turned off by the "Panzerbush Syndrome," I didn't trust tactical designs for several years after that.

The other thing I'd do differently is...save all those old games I bought in the 70's and early 80's. They're worth more than my investment portfolio today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j page
Canada
edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
The first box game I bought was Firepower. I don't think I could be bothered to change that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Vance
United States
Augusta
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I would want my first wargaming experience to be the excitement of playing with army men in a more sophisticated and systematic way, which is what Squad Leader really is. Lifting off that purple box lid and seeing all those plastic army men turned into cardboard squares and the plastic trees and bombed out buildings come to life on beautiful playing boards is a thrill unmatched by any other game, for me at least. What a great way to begin a lifelong hobby. (My actual beginning was with Kriegspiel and Blitzkrieg, hardly comparable.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I'd played some other wargames before buying my own (the Milton Bradley American Heritage Games, for example), I would still start my purchases with the first two I got then:

Kingmaker

and

Starship Troopers

They were great choices then and still are.

(I'd also make sure I got anything that I have rated a 10, including the wargames, Firepower, Star Fleet Battles, Tokyo Express, Blue Max, and Ambush!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
airjudden wrote:
I started in 1982, so it would probably be Victory in the Pacific followed up by Kingmaker and Squad Leader.

Scratch all that noise. I just realized that Rommel in the Desert came out in 1982.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew C
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:

one wonders if the card-driven area-movement version would remain historically valid for longer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the 1900 games I own... I still don't own Case Blue & DAK II.... I am dying to get my grubby hands on the latter... Just can't find myself a cheap copy...

Now that i have Guderian's Blitzkrieg II, Baltic Gap and Tunisia under my belt I can imagine OCS would be pretty awesome in the desert of DAK II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jude wrote:
Although I'd played some other wargames before buying my own (the Milton Bradley American Heritage Games, for example), I would still start my purchases with the first two I got then:

Kingmaker

and

Starship Troopers

They were great choices then and still are.

(I'd also make sure I got anything that I have rated a 10, including the wargames, Firepower, Star Fleet Battles, Tokyo Express, Blue Max, and Ambush!)

Excellent choices! Apart from Kingmaker, these were my first games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Put my life savings into Apple stocks in the late 80s... Then I could buy Case Blue on a whimsy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
facebook.com/HistoricalBoardGames
mbmbmbmbmb
The same one I started with... Memoir 44. It was perfect for what I needed to get started
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.