Subject: Kangaroos Too Powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
Does collecting penguins (and at least one kangaroo) on your first turn and using those penguins to collect lots of kangaroos on your second and third turns easily dominate other strategies? If so, I don't see many interesting decisions in the game. If the dice want to give you lions or moose and squirrels then you have to fight the dice instead of going with what you are rolling. There are too many points possible in kangaroos and it is likely that someone in the game will collect them leaving you behind if you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
designer
If you have some sanity left...
badge
...come and join me in the tavern I buy you a mug of beer.
mb
I don't really know, I think you have to see what you roll. Off course you can try this but I don't know if it will always work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles A. Davis
United States
Greeneville
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starting the 3rd round with a 2 kangaroo chip, a bunch of penguins and going for all kangaroos is the strategy that I will try to use every game. I may not get there but it seems to be the best way to score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Whenever you become anxious or stressed, outer purpose has taken over, and you have lost sight of your inner purpose. Your state of consciousness is primary. All else is secondary.
mbmbmb
wkusau wrote:
Starting the 3rd round with a 2 kangaroo chip, a bunch (fistful?) of penguins and going for all kangaroos is the strategy that I will try to use every game. I may not get there but it seems to be the best way to score.

Exactly!

If you can get 15 penguins and a kangaroo in the first round then going for 81 in the second and third rounds is great.

I have been pondering a rule change that would make the decisions more interesting. Capping the value of kangaroos at 40 points per turn might do it. Lions or moose & squirrel could be more viable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Listen to the PYLP ! @ http://s3.amazonaws.com/PushUrLuckPodcast/pulp_feed.xml
mbmbmbmb
wkusau wrote:
Starting the 3rd round with a 2 kangaroo chip, a bunch of penguins and going for all kangaroos is the strategy that I will try to use every game. I may not get there but it seems to be the best way to score.

what he said.

happens a lot of times in the games i play.
though, trying to get all those kangaroos is fun in and of itself. and cheering on ( for failure ) for the player who is trying to do so is also fun.

though i would like to see a cap on it. or maybe give bonuses for a variety of animal symbols
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Thanks for all these comments.

Let me know what you think of this variant:

All dice cost 1 penguin except:
The 8th die costs 2 penguins.
The 9th die costs 3 penguins.

- Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Rott
Canada
Camrose
Alberta
flag msg tools
Absolutely love this game. Great for the family and lite groups.

We too found that the kangaroos became a no brainer strategy at the expense of the other cute dice and options.

This is the tweak we came up with.

At first we allowed only one kangaroo chip and you could use it one time. So if you got it in round one, you could use it either round two or three. If you got it in round two, then you could use it in round three. But once it was used it was gone.

After additional plays we got rid of the kanga chip all together and set the rule that you could only score kangaroo's on ONE of the three rounds. So you had to decide which round was going to be your "kangaroo round", if any. "Do I take my kangaroos' now, or wait till next round.... hmmmm". We were a bit divided as to whether that was too limiting and currently are experimenting with alternating between scoring kanga's on only one round or allowing kanga scoring on two rounds. We realize this changes the level of scoring but that is relative.

None the less we are all agreed that there are no kanga chips and at least ONE of the rounds must remain kanga free scoring. This has brought all the dice back into play and, for us anyway, provided the satisfaction we are looking for in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Petty
United States
Leander
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So going with this I decided everyone gets a roo chip...you can spend the chip to score kangaroos. Keeps the chip in the game and keeps the all kangaroo strat under control. If we want to allow it a bit more you start with it on the 2 kangaroo side and flip it once you have scored the first time and get rid of it after the second!

d172 wrote:
Absolutely love this game. Great for the family and lite groups.

We too found that the kangaroos became a no brainer strategy at the expense of the other cute dice and options.

This is the tweak we came up with.

At first we allowed only one kangaroo chip and you could use it one time. So if you got it in round one, you could use it either round two or three. If you got it in round two, then you could use it in round three. But once it was used it was gone.

After additional plays we got rid of the kanga chip all together and set the rule that you could only score kangaroo's on ONE of the three rounds. So you had to decide which round was going to be your "kangaroo round", if any. "Do I take my kangaroos' now, or wait till next round.... hmmmm". We were a bit divided as to whether that was too limiting and currently are experimenting with alternating between scoring kanga's on only one round or allowing kanga scoring on two rounds. We realize this changes the level of scoring but that is relative.

None the less we are all agreed that there are no kanga chips and at least ONE of the rounds must remain kanga free scoring. This has brought all the dice back into play and, for us anyway, provided the satisfaction we are looking for in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
You could also use the penguin tokens to permit scoring penguins in only one of the first two rounds.

- Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
dont think you need any rule changes, play with advanced rules.

if someone has a high number of penguins + double roo chip going in round 3, other players can prevent him from buying dice by setting high prices. this will seriously hurt the roo player 6^2 = 36 pts, worse than all lions and arguably equal to moose+squirrels pairs

unlss im reading the rules wrong, this is a valid tactic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hendee
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
dont think you need any rule changes

I agree that gamers can limit the damage by setting an appropriate price for the die they are selling. On the last player's last turn the calculations can get precise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
For those who like the speedy game more than the advanced one, but don't like the push for penguins in the first round, try this.

First penguin die = 1 penguin token
Each penguin die after the first = 2 penguin tokens

Dice - Tokens
1 - 1
2 - 3
3 - 5
4 - 7
5 - 9
etc.

Jonathan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.