Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Stephenson
United States
Dunn
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've been mulling around an idea in my head and wanted to see if its been proposed before. Obviously several different systems are in place to deal with players lapping the score chart after getting 50, 100, etc.

What if when a player goes over the 50, he has to add an additional one of his meeples on the scoring chart to show his true score? This would also auto-balance the game, keeping those in front somewhat naturally hamstringed.

Carcassone has never had a huge problem with the run away winner for me, but its a phenomenon I hate in large or small, though others may have different opinions. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not see how Carcassonne is unbalanced and how your proposal can balance the game. I also don't see why a skilled tactical player should be punished for getting 50+ points faster than others.
Imho the balancing needs to be done on the player side, not on the game side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Spånga
flag msg tools
Quote:
Obviously several different systems are in place to deal with players lapping the score chart after getting 50, 100, etc.

I would think the most common by far would be: Buy Inns & Cathedrals and use the included 50/100 tiles.

I & C also happens to nicely balance out the fact that Roads are too weak and Cloisters are too strong in the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephenson
United States
Dunn
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jonny5 wrote:
I would think the most common by far would be: Buy Inns & Cathedrals and use the included 50/100 tiles.

Yes, I own Inns and Cathedrals, I brought up this as a nice variant for the sake of gameplay (though I think it would be a good lapping system as well).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkthatgotfunk wrote:
I've been mulling around an idea in my head and wanted to see if its been proposed before.

Yup, great minds think alike.

Progressive Difficulty (Meeple Penalty for High Scores)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephenson
United States
Dunn
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
monkthatgotfunk wrote:
I've been mulling around an idea in my head and wanted to see if its been proposed before.

:D

Thought this might be out there, have you found it has good results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephenson
United States
Dunn
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Player77 wrote:
I do not see how Carcassonne is unbalanced and how your proposal can balance the game. I also don't see why a skilled tactical player should be punished for getting 50+ points faster than others.
Imho the balancing needs to be done on the player side, not on the game side.

I do not feel the game is unbalanced, but simply that I enjoy games where the leader faces increasing challenge the farther ahead he gets. It keeps the game more interesting for everyone and helps out those who are inexperienced, as well as discouraging "I'm leading so I'll play prevent defense" strategies - not that carcassone particularly struggles with those issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike S.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of coarse you're allowed to play the game as you wish. I however, would never play the game in such a way. In my opinion the game is becoming unbalanced when there are a different amount of meeples for different players all in a sudden by taking away a random meeple. Having the same meeples available to all players from start till finish is probably as balanced as it can be. Of coarse meeples can get blocked during play, but that's just something you've got to live with and over time you'll learn how to prevent this from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
HEY! That TICKLES!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkthatgotfunk wrote:
Gruumsh wrote:
monkthatgotfunk wrote:

Thought this might be out there, have you found it has good results?

Yes, and no. As you might suspect from the reaction online, die-hard Carc fans are going to be resistant to the idea.

Then again, I regularly play with newbies who love Carc, mainly for the map-building aspects (they're puzzle fans too), but they really just don't get farmer scoring no matter how hard they try, and most don't really play competitively, blocking growing large cities when they should.

So, putting a rule like this in place definitely makes things more challenging for ME, when the alternative is to just merrily lap them on the scoreboard two or three times.

This rule also gets more interesting when more expansions are added, especially with multiple players. The game is more interesting when you really have to manage your work force and make sure you don't run out, rather than having so many meeples in hand that you never really have to worry about it—a frequent occurrence in multi-player carc when you're using almost all the expansions that give you extra meeples (Carcassonne: Inns & Cathedrals, Carcassonne: Traders & Builders, Carcassonne: Abbey & Mayor, Carcassonne: The Phantom)

The main caveat is that if someone is working a predominantly farm-growing strategy, then they won't really get penalized because their score won't jump until the end of the game. That is mitigated somewhat by not being able to move/reclaim those farmers, and the danger of getting boxed in by other people's roads once they see what you're doing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephenson
United States
Dunn
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
Gruumsh wrote:
The main caveat is that if someone is working a predominantly farm-growing strategy, then they won't really get penalized because their score won't jump until the end of the game. That is mitigated somewhat by not being able to move/reclaim those farmers, and the danger of getting boxed in by other people's roads once they see what you're doing.
Yeah, this strategy is definitely benefited of course. I wonder if there's an easy way to mitigate that...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Promnitz
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
We play 4-player mega-Carc with every extension. Even the less strategic players soon learn the power of the Dragon, Towers and Plague to penalise players who are getting too far ahead on the scoreboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.