Popular Tags: [View All]
Avri Klemer
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night during dinner, Baby Boo looked up from her rice and carrots, pointed in the direction of my game shelves and said, "Can we play the shapes game, please?"

Now, we have been working very hard on getting her to say "please" (she has "thank you" down very nicely already) so this was beyond pleasing. And my wife was very impressed that I knew immediately which of the hundreds of games she was pointing at . . .

Boo hasn't done a whole lot of boardgaming with us yet - one game of Orchard a year ago, and some flicking whenever our Crokinole board (which she calls "Coke-in-noh" and adores) comes down from the wall. She does see us play games quite regularly, but I have no recollection of playing Blokus in front of her any time recently. Must have been the pretty shapes on the side panels of the box that caught her eye!

It was too late to play after dinner / bath / tooth brushing / recycling / nail clipping / bed time stories (our evening routine is pretty involved), so I promised we could play after breakfast today. By this morning, I had forgotten. Baby Boo had not.

So after milk, PB on toast and some Cheerios, I brought out the box, placed the big grey board in front of her at the table, and asked her which color she wanted first. "Yellow!" she replied.

After explaining how she had to be careful not to drop and lose any pieces, I put the yellow tray next to the board, she grabbed a piece and slid it around the board. I showed her how a piece clicks into place if it is squared up to the board grid. She grabbed another piece, tried again and said, "It doesn't work."

Then she managed to make her piece "click". She squealed, then giggled. I melted a little.

"How big is that piece?" I asked.
She counted, "1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Five!"
"And the other one?"
"1, 2, 3, 4. Four!"
"That's right." I said. "So which one is bigger?"
"This one." She said, pointing to the 5. I'm smelling scholarships . . .

She placed a couple more yellow pieces, counting their sizes as she went, then asked for another color. She chose red, placed a few more, then some blues, then green.

She proceded to place all of the greens, only dropping a couple to the floor, and was especially fond of the singleton. "It's so little," she told me.

After placing all of the greens and yellows, midway through placing the reds, she started handing me a piece to place for each one she did. The board was filling up, and she asked me for help finding spaces for the bigger pieces, although she still insisted in placing hers herself.

Surprisingly, she let me place the ones she gave me. She was almost taking turns!

Once we got back into the blues, I started putting aside the ones that had no place to go, and quickly we were finished. "What about those?" asked Boo, pointing to the ones I had put aside. I told her they all had 5 squares and that there was no room for them on the board.

We started counting all the holes on the board - 1s and 2s and 3s and 4s - and she got very excited when she did find a 5. We got to place one last blue, leaving 6 dead pieces.

"I like playing Blokus, Daddy," she said.

She put the pieces away, one color at a time, and we didn't lose one.

Nature or nurture? I don't care - my little girl is a gamer . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My daughter threw up and poo'd the bed on Sunday. Our bed.

I'll skip the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! I'll put Blokus on my list of games to try when our son gets old enough (he's barely 1 now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone's a winner!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Happy Froggy
msg tools
how awesome!

we actually played the game when our kids were 4 and 2. but we'd (the parents) play 'for real', whereas the two kids would just put the pieces on their turn wherever made them happiest.

the 4 yr old 'got it' and understood/understands about the corners. now our youngest kid is 4 and everyone plays for win.

so keep on! in another year, your little boo is gonna be winning! we have quite a few 'draw' games.

we're on our second board game, too - we have lost pieces from first so it was cheaper to just buy another - savign the 'old' pieces to fill in as we lose pieces from 'new' one.

i've never been a fan of playing games to let someone else win. not my thing. if i'm gonna play, i'm gonna play to win. i don't care what game it is.

and all three of my kids also play to win. we even have a trophy we pass around, lol.

i enjoyed your story. kids definitely remember when you say you'll do something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
My daughter threw up and poo'd the bed on Sunday. Our bed.

I'll skip the details.

ouch!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 4 year old requests Blokus to use as a tangram set, making letter-number shapes or solid rectangles as best he can from arranging the pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.