Popular Tags: [View All]
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So a couple of questions.
1) If a challenge is issued in blue for example. Can anyone play any color? For example - Player A plays a blue 7 and two white 4's.
2) If the answer is yes to the first question if they win do they score their whole play?
3)If the answer is yes to 1 and 2 then the card that lets you pull 4 strength cards and put them under itsself as part of your play are they also scored?
4) Finally the keys that allow you to change all color text to a certain color - A) Do they change multi-color combos that call for a all three colors to just white ? The multicolor combo listed each color is why I ask.
B) Do they count as 1 of your 3 cards played when you set a card under them to change it to a certain color?

I love this game other than these questions. Amazing game that is only lacking 1 minor thing and that is in my opinion a refresh feature so if you happen to get 5 cards all one color you could dump them all and draw 5 new ones to hopefully get a little more variety. I may make a house rule when you pass instead of drawing 1 card you could have the option of chucking a whole hand to refresh ones hand. May work out well and may not. Thanks in advance for your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Round Lake Beach
Illinois
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacobgarr wrote:
So a couple of questions.
1) If a challenge is issued in blue for example. Can anyone play any color? For example - Player A plays a blue 7 and two white 4's.
2) If the answer is yes to the first question if they win do they score their whole play?
3)If the answer is yes to 1 and 2 then the card that lets you pull 4 strength cards and put them under itsself as part of your play are they also scored?
4) Finally the keys that allow you to change all color text to a certain color - A) Do they change multi-color combos that call for a all three colors to just white ? The multicolor combo listed each color is why I ask.
B) Do they count as 1 of your 3 cards played when you set a card under them to change it to a certain color?

I love this game other than these questions. Amazing game that is only lacking 1 minor thing and that is in my opinion a refresh feature so if you happen to get 5 cards all one color you could dump them all and draw 5 new ones to hopefully get a little more variety. I may make a house rule when you pass instead of drawing 1 card you could have the option of chucking a whole hand to refresh ones hand. May work out well and may not. Thanks in advance for your answers.

1) Rules Page 2, under "Play" = "If you play, you may play up to three strength cards from your hand in any mix of colors and denominations". So yes, you can play any color.

2) You don't score the cards you play, you score the challenge card itself. The challenge difficulty is the point score for defeating it as the highest contributor. For an example, read the examples on page 4.

3) As you are already scoring wrong, this has no bearing. The cards you play are not scored, the challenge is.

4) A) The color changing cards change all keywords on the card to the appropriate color. For example, if you play a blue card under the key that makes it white, it is now white and the text "If this blue challenge is failed, draw a key" becomes "if this white challenge is failed draw a key". For the multicolor combo, you will still need the other two cards. So a blue one, turned to white, would read as the white 1 does. This is described under the multicolor combo card in the rules (it says you must have the OTHER two colors).

B) The rules specifically say that it counts as one of your three cards. See page 8 under "Echo Key"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
1. Yes. The rules mention in a few places that you can play any colors. Which is especially important when bluffing or trying to make Combos. Otherwise, you could never play the Multicolor Combo.

2. If you have played the most Blue Strength, you will earn the Challenge card. You don't score the cards you have played.

3. You don't score the cards you have played. The Blue 8 Challenge (The Living Echo) is the only card that even mentions the cards you have played. And it scores you the lowest value card you have played as the 2nd place reward.

Just so we are on the same page: When you play the highest amount of Blue Strength (and only Blue; the White cards don't count towards your total Strength) on a Blue Challenge, you earn the Challenge card. If you earn the 2nd place reward, you will earn 1 or 2 cards from the top of the Strength deck. Nothing to do with the cards you have played.

4. A: Yes, as each color word on the card turns to White. So you must play 3 White cards in this case. (The rulebook entry mentioning "other" was intended as additional explanation for non-gamers having trouble figuring out the card, not to say that you couldn't Echo Key a Multicolor Combo and then use 3 White cards to complete it.)
B: Yes

re: Mono-color hands: If a player has cards all of the same color, they would do well to Search For A Key on their turn. You have a very good chance of finding a Key that will allow you to change the colors of your cards or discard and draw new cards.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Locke & Key Lead Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Garr
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow! Totally was playing this wrong and this makes the game a whole different game! shake I was taught the game before buying it and was taught wrong and then skimmed through the rules and things weren't making sense but now this makes way more sense. Thanks for making an awesome game! Now to play it the right way (and probably better way ). Thanks for the QUICK replies guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Masters
France
flag msg tools
Hey Matt,
Just pointing out an error i found while looking through the rules and opening the package.

There's a minor error regarding one of the key cards.(Skin Key)
I'm aware that the gender, echo and skin keys are all alike corresponding to its colour. I'm pretty sure all are intended to be re-usable cards if I'm not mistaken.

The skin key is written as an "one-shot" key card.
The rulebook has the same picture printed but listed it as "re-usable" instead.
Can you clarify this for me?
Thanks

Love the game by the way.
Ken M

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Hyra
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
miragel wrote:
Hey Matt,
Just pointing out an error i found while looking through the rules and opening the package.

There's a minor error regarding one of the key cards.(Skin Key)
I'm aware that the gender, echo and skin keys are all alike corresponding to its colour. I'm pretty sure all are intended to be re-usable cards if I'm not mistaken.

The skin key is written as an "one-shot" key card.
The rulebook has the same picture printed but listed it as "re-usable" instead.
Can you clarify this for me?
Thanks

Love the game by the way.
Ken M

Glad you like the game! Sorry I didn't see this question earlier. Best to start a new thread when asking a question or private msg me here to mention when you have posted something.

The Skin Key is indeed supposed to be Reusable. An error we could have caught if we thought there was a chance of it getting messed up. Lesson learned.

On the Crypto website forums I said that it should be played as written, but that's mainly because we hate for people to have to remember errata. It's rare that you use the other Reusable color-shift Keys more than 3 times a game anyway. Since the effect of the error is so tiny, I didn't want to cause a hassle for the average player, who probably didn't even notice. BGG players are not average players, mind you... and they have eyes like a hawk!

If you would like to play it as intended so it matches its sister keys, I would find a way to write that on the card. Or I suppose you could just mention it to people when they play the card.

Thanks,
Matt Hyra
Locke & Key Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.