Steven Fouts
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read that Seth Jaffee posted that you don't get to use the bonus symbols from flipped planets when using Terraforming. I try to take things as literal as possible & his ruling has gotten me curious.

On page 9 of the rulebook, under Planet Cards, is states "Each symbol on a face up planet in your Empire counts when resolving a role effect matching that symbol."
On page 11 of the rulebook, under Colonize, it states "Each Colonize symbol in your Empire reduces the number of Colonies needed to Settle a Planet
by 1. You can think of these symbols as virtual Colonies on each planet in your Empire."

Do the Colonize symbols only count when taking Colonize as an Action or a Role, or can you count them when you've played Improved Colonize? One could debate that playing a Technology card is different than choosing to Colonize as an Action or a Role, and therefore, you wouldn't count the Colonize symbols because you aren't resolving a Role effect. Instead, you are resolving a Technology card effect.

Am I over thinking this matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So far as I can tell, the only reason colony symbols don't count for Terraforming is because Terraforming is a clumsy special exception (see the test in yellow on the back of the rulebook)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SlebRittie wrote:
So far as I can tell, the only reason colony symbols don't count for Terraforming is because Terraforming is a clumsy special exception (see the test in yellow on the back of the rulebook)

Terraforming specifically references the "printed" colony requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Taurus
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

Another way to think of it is that Terraforming (action) isn't the same as Settling as an action. Terraforming is a special way to flip planets with colonies under them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
arkayn wrote:

Another way to think of it is that Terraforming (action) isn't the same as Settling as an action. Terraforming is a special way to flip planets with colonies under them.

It is also a way to improve a Colonizing focused deck that didn't draw any Colonize symbols or to be put underneath as two icons at once. If it could flip planets with the discount included it would be pretty overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Colonize symbol only applies when Settling (via Action phase or Role phase with leader bonus). It's like once you are inside the Settle action, the Colonize icons on your planets (or Fertile Ground) "turn on."

Terraforming has a triggered effect that puts you into a Settle action... BUT, it does not trigger unless there are enough colonies (including the 2 from Terraforming) to satisfy the printed Colonize cost. Because you're not inside a Settle action, the Colonize icons on planets (or Fertile Ground) do not count.

So there's the rub - the Colonize icons don't count until you trigger a Settle, and Terraforming doesn't trigger a Settle unless/until the planet is completely full of colonies.

From a mechanical standpoint, it was indeed too powerful for my liking when I originally was going to allow the symbols to count all the time, so I made the restriction. Fortunately, a strict reading of the rules for the Colonize symbol and Terraforming card support my decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Fouts
United States
Brookfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your help regarding this matter.goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.