$10.00
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok...I know this sounds silly but I'm trying to figure out how to make playing the new (or any)of the expansions of TtR easier. Since we've started playing both Aisa & India it's become tedious to get the bigger cards from the 1912 expansion, trains from either the USA or Europe & then the board & extras from the Asia / India. Too much work to set up sometimes us from setting it up & playing.

So..what I'll need is a box big enough to hold the boards, instructions, trains, tokens & all the cards without damaging anything. I could put the boards in cloth bags / sleeves, maybe have some kind of Palno box to store the trains in baggies labeled with quantities needed for each game.
Cards also stored separately.

Has anyone done anything like this yet?
Any ideas or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

redtraingreentrainbluetrainyellowtrainblacktrainpurpletrainwhitetrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
The regular boxes are big enough to hold a base game and a couple expansions. I just put the pieces and cards in zip lock bags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So you threw out the formed insert & have all the pieces in there?
Do you think I need to protect the boards from scratching each other up?

My one friend's board looks horrible from not being very careful (it's completely ripped apart & filled with scratches & mars, hardly playable)cry

I also might be "little" OCD blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would just take a couple of the original game boxes remove the inserts and pack everything into those boxes and use a box rubber band to hold them together. If you are worried about board scrapes put a piece of cloth between each board.

http://www.funagain.com/control/product;jsessionid=C359BA17A...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to compact games as much as possible to save shelf space, get rid of the inserts rourinely, and don't have any issues with wear (except from play). I bag the components to keep them organized and in good condition. I get 3"x4" and 4"x5" bags from the craft store that are good for most items.

I can't imagine what would do that to your friend's board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
Only a dragon to see here. Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy a set of wooden train pieces and use them for all games. That solves the getting the trains out from all over the place. You'll probably be able to find a closer/cheaper shop without trouble.

The cards can easily be stacked together into their decks -- avoid rubber bands since they degrade and mark eventually. A compartmentalised box of some kind would be best, but it is also possible to find small cardboard boxes that suit the decks. I've laminated my cards to avoid drink spills etc and the boxes the laminate sleeves came in are great for this. Throw out the stupid little TtR base game cards and only use the 1912 large card.

Many boards will fit in one game box. The box will protect the boards from outside influences. The boards should be fine just stacked neatly. I wouldn't worry about the boards rubbing on each other, that isn't going to do any significant damage or even leave a mark. It sounds like your friend's board has suffered extra special abuse rather than the unavoidable wear -- that or it has been played a completely insane number of times.

Finally, put everything together in a plastic tub with lid.

I've actually been contemplating making a custom timber box for my TtR games where everything has its proper place

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the following in one box

Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Ticket to Ride: Alvin & Dexter

The original tickets from Europe are replaced by those in 1912.
There is only one set of black trains, with a note to remove 5 if playing nordic.
Throw away the insert
Use foamcore to make dividers.

My setup:

(Alvin & Dexter go in the top middle slot).

Both boards (& manuals etc) fit on top.

Once you have more than 2 boards, I would put all boards in one box, and all other bits in another box,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy an iPad . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superbgg wrote:
I have the following in one box

Ticket to Ride: Europe
Ticket to Ride: Europa 1912
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
Ticket to Ride: Alvin & Dexter

The original tickets from Europe are replaced by those in 1912.
There is only one set of black trains, with a note to remove 5 if playing nordic.
Throw away the insert
Use foamcore to make dividers.

My setup:

(Alvin & Dexter go in the top middle slot).

Both boards (& manuals etc) fit on top.

Once you have more than 2 boards, I would put all boards in one box, and all other bits in another box,

I'm very impressed & a bit in awe. I don't think I can make something that looks that good...but at least it gives me something to mull over for how to try.

I must confess I've never been able to throw away an insert. I also store all my empty Dominion boxes...OCD..or maybe just "what if I need it some day".."doesn't that hurt the value of the game"..all those & more go through my head when I think of getting rid of any part of a game. (heck I finally let myself throw out the Days of Wonder brochures that advertise other games that come in each box)

Baby steps...baby steps..if I remover an insert I'll have to store it somewhere...but I like the idea of using the TtR boxes & making everything fit into 2 boxes.

I also very much like the idea of wooden trains. I like wooden components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Steel wrote:
Buy an iPad . . .

ipad = thumbsdown (it has it's time & place..but not for this!)

Board games are for sharing the experience with others...kiss

ipad is for not interacting with your family & friends. soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Clague
New Zealand
Hamilton
Waikato
flag msg tools
I can see my house from here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Snob Mom wrote:

I must confess I've never been able to throw away an insert. I also store all my empty Dominion boxes...OCD..or maybe just "what if I need it some day".."doesn't that hurt the value of the game"..all those & more go through my head when I think of getting rid of any part of a game. (heck I finally let myself throw out the Days of Wonder brochures that advertise other games that come in each box)

LOL my TTR is in the Eurppe box. Where is the insert? In the Nordic box, packed away in the roof space shake. I also have all my old Dominion boxes. And I know exactly what you mean about the DoW brochures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignatius McGimmik
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
superbgg wrote:

LOL my TTR is in the Eurppe box. Where is the insert? In the Nordic box, packed away in the roof space shake. I also have all my old Dominion boxes. And I know exactly what you mean about the DoW brochures!

I can beat that. I still have all my empty Munchkin expansion boxes, even though the sleeved cards are stored in a card box. Why? So I have something to show people when I ask what sets they want to play with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.