Hide
13 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Strategy

Subject: sliver deck help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Smith
msg tools
hello everyone im trying to make a sliver deck and i need some help. heres what i got:

creatures
4x metallic sliver
4x gemhide sliver
4x muscle sliver
4x clot sliver
3x winged sliver
3x crypt sliver
2x adaptive automaton
1x toxin sliver
1x amoeboid changeling
1x sliver overlord
1x sliver legion
1x sliver queen

planeswalker
1x jace beleren

other spells
2x dream cache
1x brainstorm
1x counterspell
1x door of destinies
1x rampant growth
1x portent
1x training grounds

lands
7x island
6x forest
5x swamp
2x drowned catacomb
1x vec townships
1x selesnya sanctuary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you going to play this? What is your budget? I don't know all the card by heart, but I know you don't want Metallic in there. All of them should do something to help the others. Automaton should go to. I would get another winged sliver.

You also should look at

Crystaline Sliver
Heart sliver
Necrotic
Sedge Sliver
Sinew Sliver is a MUST
Virulent sliver
Maybe Might Sliver
Shadow Sliver

And honestly I don't know how I feel about the Lords. I am not sure what you are planning to build or for what but if you are going to make the fastest kill with sliver you want things that pump them and give them evasion

If you have Muscle, Sinew and Sedge that is 12 cards that pump then have shadow and winged to give evasion your opponent will be dead before you could ever cast any of the lords, queen, legion.

Get rid of all the spells. The only one even forth considering is Door of destinies and a 2-3 cost pump sliver is better than that anyway.

Your biggest issue of course is getting the right land in play. I am assuming for the most part this came from the Foil Slivers deck? You best bet is to decide on what the main deck is going to be and then you can build a land base used off of your numbers at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The all-stars in my Sliver deck:
Homing Sliver (common): Pay 3 to search for any utility sliver I need at the time? Yes please!
Necrotic Sliver (uncommon): Only one needed with Homing around, but often necessary to blow up Planeswalkers and other annoying stuff
Psionic Sliver (rare): Not very necessary, but with a couple Muscle or Sinew you pretty much win
Quick Sliver (common): Only one or two needed, they take your opponent by surprise and is a huge pain for him
Shadow Sliver (common): Play to win
Telekinetic Sliver (uncommon): Two needed. Wow. You can't imagine how many times this one saved me. Hard to play but a huge threat for your opponent. If you don't play a lot of blue you can avoid it, but it's a pity

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that jumps out at me just from your decklist is that you are playing multiples of a lot of Slivers. Other than some (like Muscle Sliver) Slivers are usually best in singles (so you can make giant hasty and tramply and poisonous and shrouded and flying slivers.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
One thing that jumps out at me just from your decklist is that you are playing multiples of a lot of Slivers. Other than some (like Muscle Sliver) Slivers are usually best in singles (so you can make giant hasty and tramply and poisonous and shrouded and flying slivers.)

Multiple instances of Poisonous are not redundant. Some versions of Flash Hulk even won by slamming four Virulent Slivers into play and swinging for 16 poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Right, You want the most efficient slivers not the most variety.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
delirimouse wrote:
Renaissance Man wrote:

Multiple instances of Poisonous are not redundant. Some versions of Flash Hulk even won by slamming four Virulent Slivers into play and swinging for 16 poison.

Absolutely, concerning Poisonous, Might, etc., but things like Crystalline, Winged, Clot, and Gemhide are, and aren't particularly efficient in multiples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Renaissance Man wrote:
Absolutely, concerning Poisonous, Might, etc., but things like Crystalline, Winged, Clot, and Gemhide are, and aren't particularly efficient in multiples.
I like 4xGemhide because they are always targeted first and they speed you up if you draw them in your starting hands.

As for the utility abilities, I agree that 1x is fine if you have 2-3 Homing Slivers to easily look for them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I don't think you understand what I am trying to get at.

The OP hasn't said what his limits/expectations are so I am trying to build a deck that can win absolute fastest.

You don't want anything fancy. You are complete beat down and that is it.

4 Muscle
4 Sinew
4 Sedge
4 Heart
4 Winged
4 Shadow
4 Crystalline
4 Blade

22 land

I don't care about having redundancy because my goal is to kill you before I am drawing lots of multiples.

Turn 1 land
turn 2 Pump sliver
turn 3 pump sliver (3)
turn 4 haste (12)
turn 5 pump or evasion (over 20)

The best Sliver deck is going to be a Aggro all the way. If you want to play as a control deck that searches for silver bullets you should be playing something that ISN'T slivers.

Why listen to this guy? I have been playing Magic for 16 years. Tempest came out soon after I started. I thought Sliver were the coolest thing ever. I have collected them since (I have over 1000). I have taken a deck similar to the one above to a 30 man Legacy tourney and came in 2nd. (with full complement of dual lands)

Again if the OP says what he actually wants this for than I can suggest better, but I was trying to get the quickest kill.

I should note that this isn't all that fun. It seems to have a turn 4-5 kill most games and their isn't much interaction. If you want to build a fun all around deck then I would go for the homing sliver/ silver bullet start that uses the lords and whatnot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Paradis
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
The list offered by Syvanis seems very good and strong. I do think a few counterspell and some way to protect against wrath of god would go a long way. Otherwise the deck will either steamroll or he will simply have all the important sliver countered or run into wrath after wrath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Smith
msg tools
thanks for all the help guys especially Syvanis im just looking to play for fun, for now later im going to try and make a deck thats made to kill. also im kinda looking to make this a stall deck than hit them with everything i got, not a quick kill i like to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really want to have fun, have one of your friends build a sliver deck and play a mirror match, preferably with Sliver Legion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Nikolaou
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Syvanis I also play since Weatherlight and always loved slivers, though my experience is mostly in 2HG (which rocks because you get to make a 120 deck with better mana distribution)

The silver bullet doesn't have to be the whole focus of the deck. 2-3 heart and 4-5 cards as solutions are not that much.

Oh, and a silly combo that tends to work to some extend: Crypt Sliver + Day of Judgement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.