Subject: Xxcha vs. Bene Gesserit rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
living overseas
Taiwan
Taipei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Rex they did away with the worthless cards being Karama cards for the BG. Doesn't this weaken the BG/Xxcha as you've eliminated one of their abilities? It does streamline the game though, that's for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ringgaard
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All fractions have been changed one way or another. Overall I'd say that the Xxcha is much stronger than the BG was, as your prediction is much more likely to come true (due to there only being 8 rounds) and even the Hacan and Sol auto win count for you if you predicted a turn 8 win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The BG worthless Karama rule was an optional Karama advantage. I believe all of the factions lost all of their optional Karama advantages, plus most of the optional character advantages in general were taken away. I think all of the factions lost about the same amount of extra powers from Dune to Rex. Although, oddly, a couple of optional advantages were kept - e.g. Emperor/Lazax Sardaukar/mechanized units were kept, but not the Fremen/Sol Fedaykin. The Fremen optional Karama advantage of summoning a worm became a standard card that anyone can use now. You could probably find some others....

[edit] Oh yeah, notably, the BG power of coexistence was kept for the Xxcha (although it looks like it was simplified and actually strengthened somewhat)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad, have you had a chance to play Rex? I'd be interested in a comparative review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Allen
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
The Respected Universities of Jol-Nar.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tempus42 wrote:
The BG worthless Karama rule was an optional Karama advantage. I believe all of the factions lost all of their optional Karama advantages, plus most of the optional character advantages in general were taken away. I think all of the factions lost about the same about of extra powers from Dune to Rex. Although, oddly, a couple of choice optional advantages were kept - e.g. Emperor/Lazax Sardaukar/mechanized units were kept, but not the Fremen/Sol Fedaykin. The Fremen optional Karama advantage of summoning a worm became a standard card that anyone can use now. You could probably find some others....

So I'm thinking that many of the optional/advance rules from Dune will be in a future expansion for Rex.

Being a Fantasy Flight game, an expansion is inevitable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Brad, have you had a chance to play Rex? I'd be interested in a comparative review.

No, I haven't played Rex yet, but I've been studying the rules and I just learned that Rex is on its way to me today! So I hope to play at my next regular game day, March 10, at the latest. I'll be glad to post a comparative review from the perspective of a long-time Dune player as soon as I can...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
some_guy wrote:
So I'm thinking that many of the optional/advance rules from Dune will be in a future expansion for Rex.

You're almost assuredly right that an expansion will come. But given the interest among Dune players in adding extra factions (Bene Tleilax, Ixians, Landsraad), I'm guessing Rex expansions will add other races to choose from. Also, since the original Dune designers are part of the FFG team on this, I'm not sure we'll ever see some of the other Dune optional/advanced rules - my understanding is that stuff was all added by Avalon Hill in development, and the original designers were not fans of most of it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
some_guy wrote:

I wouldn't say "inevitable." There are plenty of FFG games that haven't seen so much as a single expansion. Although, belonging to the TI franchise and being the long awaited reincarnation of Dune (such as it is) I will admit that an expansion is not entirely unlikely.

Personally, as much as I love that Rex has finally been released, and as much as I do intend to purchase it and hug it and hold it and play it and treasure it... I will be very skeptical of any forthcoming expansion, and will be seriously weighing its pros and cons before investing in it.

New races? The only ones missing by the TI lore are the Sardakk N'Orr. Maybe the Muaat, since the fiction at the front of the SE rulebook suggests they were around during the attack on Mecatol, but the whole "secret slave race of the Jol-Nar" thing would seem to indicate they weren't exactly a widespread independent force until more recently. None of the other races from TI3 were known to the galaxy at large in the time of Rex (some of them didn't even exist yet.) So the options are slim, unless they start ret-conning things or playing the good old "here's a new race which is fated to be made (practically) extinct before the future timeline comes around" card.

New cards? I'm sure they can come up with some more ideas, but how well balanced will they be? And how many can they make based on the Dune rules they've left out of the base game? It remains to be seen. if the original designers weren't so fond of most of those extra rules to begin with, they may not even want to use those.

New maps? Dangerous ground. I can't see that working out very well, but I have been surprised by such things before.

My only hope is that, as a Peterson game (at least in part), expansions for Rex will be few and far between. Like TI3 before this, which only added new content when it had been carefully weighed and deemed to be worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing I'm not sure about in comparing the two, when do the Xxcha make the prediction? The card says "during set-up" but set-up has multiple steps. I'm going to play before traitors when we take it to the table tomorrow, but I'm assuming this from how it works in Dune, which is not a safe assumption giving some other areas of the rules.

Also, regarding expansions, the set-up rules mention token set-up decisions going in turn order, yet Sol is the only example of this right now. Unless they consider Xxcha prediction part of token set-up, this seems to be a placeholder rule for in case they add an extra faction as Brad suggests or they add the rest of the optional rules and let Xxcha start with face-down tokens wherever they want.

Given that some optional rules are already in play, I doubt that'll be what happens, personally. Emperor would have no optional rules to gain. It's my hope that they add an optional 7th faction if the story permits, and add NEW optional abilities suited to the TI factions. Duel and Spice Harvest slowed the game down, despite being cool ideas. I would be happy with one expansion at most. It doesn't need Cosmic's amount of content.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.