Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
Someone recommend me a game that:

-is 2 player/or more
-involves eliminating the other player/players
-has a modular board
-has no violence or gore whatsoever
-no mythological themes or mythological creatures(things similar to pokemon/digimon are okay, as they don't use spells)

Thanks for all your help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How does one eliminate players without violence?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
László Pásti
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe trap them, or something like this. I think Robert try to find a game with miniatures for children. Unfortunately I do not know any.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about games that use miniatures (like Descent: Journeys in the Dark)? or table top miniature games (like Warhammer)?

Any games can have minis added to them (well - many games can). I might be easier to find a game that fits your requirements and then add minis as you see fit.

Cheers,

Giles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might look at Fuzzy Heroes and related games. This is a miniatures game to be played with stuffed animals, so there is no board, and the figures are only as mythological as the plushies you already own. IIRC the combat outcomes aren't described in any more violent terms than a little loosened stitching and such, although I don't own the game myself and can't confirm that. And I suppose a little parental (I assume) bowlderizing wouldn't be difficult.

(Of course, you aren't intended to actually damage the stuffed animals: that's just the description of the battle's aftermath.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
Bwian wrote:
You might look at Fuzzy Heroes

It can't possibly get any less violent than that laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Winter
United Kingdom
Hawarden
Deeside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/69279/checkerboard-do...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Agosta

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How about Heroclix (Marvel or DC)

None of the super powered folks ever die. They just get ko'ed!

Very kid friendly and you can easily modify the rules to fit your needs. Besides, how can anyone resist having a knock out type battle
between Doc. Ock and Spiderman?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott L
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
?
Would the new Wiz-War (eighth edition) work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iamwilly wrote:

-is 2 player/or more
-has a modular board
-no mythological themes or mythological creatures(things similar to pokemon/digimon are okay, as they don't use spells)

I too am unsure whether you mean "board game with miniatures" or "miniatures game". I'm leaning towards "board game with miniatures" though because you mentioned "has a modular board" and a miniatures game typically has no board at all. It just has a tabletop surface, which is of course infinitely modular. However, I know much less about these so I'll talk about actual miniatures games.

There are lots of different themes available, it's not difficult to avoid fantasy/magic ones even though those are quite popular.

I do want to point out three possible issues in your request though:
1. Pretty much all minis games use violence. They are games about things fighting other things. That doesn't necessarily mean things die, as in the superhero example, but knocking someone out is still violent.

2. Several things like Superpowers, dragons breathing fire, etc.., or even enhanced technology are functionally equivalent to spells. All are just shorthand for "something ordinary people can't do".

3. Most actual minis games are optimized for 2p. Doesn't mean you can't have a third player, but it may be a little odd.

I'm imagining this is probably for kids since you mention Pokemon, etc... which means you may want to avoid metal minis for breakage reasons.

I'd probably look first at Monsterpocalypse, then something like Heroclix. If you DO want metal minis, then Pulp City - which is a superhero themed minis game.

Monsterpocalypse is basically like a Godzilla movie in game form. Giant monsters stomp around a city flattening buildings and beating up each other. It's violent, but somewhat comic violence and not gory at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoier
United States
Sioux Falls
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the second IDENTICAL thread he's started in less than a week! In the last one, with the SAME question, someone linked to another thread he posted before (again, with the same question). Sorry, but people obviously can't help you and you are never happy with the replies you get. Enough already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Might as well try Formula Dé or it's newer incarnation Formula D. Car racing game with little plastic car models. The only violent bit is when you crash.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mayse-Lillig
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, could you please clarify what you mean by "no violence or gore whatsoever" The Pokemon example confuses me, as that is essentially a game about gangs of 10 year old runaways competing in dogfights. Its incredibly violent, so as I said, I'm confused.

Here's last week's very similar question: Easy miniature battle game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer - AstroMiner & TactDecks: Reign of Heroes
mbmbmbmbmb
Before everyone gets too involved here, I suggest checking out this thread:

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/8519871#8519871

Anyhow...

What you're asking for seems to be more like a thought exercise than an actual question, especially considering the lack of player examples and vague generalities of what you don't want.

Sure, you might be able to find something that fits your criteria, but you're effectively asking for the best chocolate cake recipe that doesn't include flour, baking powder/soda, and cocoa.

You're passing up a lot of great games, assuming you're actually looking for something. IMO, you'd be much better off finding a game that's GOOD, and censoring/adjusting the thematic content. Spells become special skills or powers. "Killing" becomes "elimination."

I see no reason why you couldn't take something like Heroscape, cut off the swords, and pretend they're just challenging each other to a game a of rock-paper-scissors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape, but be picky about which figures you buy/choose? For example, is an orc riding a dinosaur allowed? Dragons? Vikings? The main drawback with Heroscape is the limited availability these days, but it is a great game for anyone aged about 7 and upwards IMO.

Though the "No mythological figures", "no spells" and "no violence" stipulations makes it something of a challenge to suggest *any* miniatures game which includes player elimination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island (and a little imagination?).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timlillig wrote:
Robert, could you please clarify what you mean by "no violence or gore whatsoever" The Pokemon example confuses me, as that is essentially a game about gangs of 10 year old runaways competing in dogfights. Its incredibly violent, so as I said, I'm confused.

Here's last week's very similar question: Easy miniature battle game?

I remember the Anime RPG Big Eyes, Small Mouth, finally made a Pokemon style monster fighting game, after saying they didn't like the genre but the requests were too numerous. They called it Cute and Fuzzy Seizure Monsters .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Escape from Monster island is a game of giant monster fights, with expansions covering Human armies and Aliens saucers as well. It is about fighting, but we were using a 6 inch godzilla toy, and human armies made up of Axis & Allies tanks. No board though, we used a table, and a lot of paper buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Hunters is a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Heroscape, but be picky about which figures you buy/choose? For example, is an orc riding a dinosaur allowed? Dragons? Vikings? The main drawback with Heroscape is the limited availability these days, but it is a great game for anyone aged about 7 and upwards IMO.

Though the "No mythological figures", "no spells" and "no violence" stipulations makes it something of a challenge to suggest *any* miniatures game which includes player elimination.

Maybe a "make friends" Heroscape variant. The goal is for your miniatures to get up close to others and "make friends" with them by rolling more happy red faces then blue shields. Once you place enough red "love" tokens on a figure, they are out of the game because they have to go get dressed for Sunday dinner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Thurman
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
iamwilly wrote:

-is 2 player/or more
-has a modular board

Thanks for all your help

Sorry what I meant is no gore, or violence involving weapons,
Stuff like Pokemon, Digimon, MonsterApocalypse , BattleBall, or anything with Robots, dinosaurs, bugs, creatures(non-mythical) are fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Thurman
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
dboeren wrote:
iamwilly wrote:

-is 2 player/or more
-has a modular board

I too am unsure whether you mean "board game with miniatures" or "miniatures game". I'm leaning towards "board game with miniatures" though because you mentioned "has a modular board" and a miniatures game typically has no board at all. It just has a tabletop surface, which is of course infinitely modular. However, I know much less about these so I'll talk about actual miniatures games.

There are lots of different themes available, it's not difficult to avoid fantasy/magic ones even though those are quite popular.

I do want to point out three possible issues in your request though:
1. Pretty much all minis games use violence. They are games about things fighting other things. That doesn't necessarily mean things die, as in the superhero example, but knocking someone out is still violent.

2. Several things like Superpowers, dragons breathing fire, etc.., or even enhanced technology are functionally equivalent to spells. All are just shorthand for "something ordinary people can't do".

3. Most actual minis games are optimized for 2p. Doesn't mean you can't have a third player, but it may be a little odd.

I'm imagining this is probably for kids since you mention Pokemon, etc... which means you may want to avoid metal minis for breakage reasons.

I'd probably look first at Monsterpocalypse, then something like Heroclix. If you DO want metal minis, then Pulp City - which is a superhero themed minis game.

Monsterpocalypse is basically like a Godzilla movie in game form. Giant monsters stomp around a city flattening buildings and beating up each other. It's violent, but somewhat comic violence and not gory at all.

Tabletop game would be just as good, and I have no problem with killing/defeating characters, just no gore or horror, and no mystical stuff, spells, shamans, demons, witches, vampires, etc.

Having said that, I still like monsters like you would get in Monsterpocalypse, Pokemon, Digimon, or Monster Ranchers.

I also like robots like transformers, or other.
But I am really looking forward to an easier miniature game(wheither board or tabletop) and not to expensive either(no more then $100)

I also like trading, betting, waging, card drafting in the game, but it does not matter.

I would love a game with animals, but does not matter,
also something similar to the pc game The Settlers or Age of Empires where you have to gather resources and battle using armys and stuff.

When I say Gory I mean no marines, for me roman infantry is okay though, that's just my taste is all.

Thanks for all your help guys

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Designer - AstroMiner & TactDecks: Reign of Heroes
mbmbmbmbmb
iamwilly wrote:

Tabletop game would be just as good, and I have no problem with killing/defeating characters, just no gore or horror, and no mystical stuff, spells, shamans, demons, witches, vampires, etc.

Having said that, I still like monsters like you would get in Monsterpocalypse, Pokemon, Digimon, or Monster Ranchers.

I also like robots like transformers, or other.
But I am really looking forward to an easier miniature game(wheither board or tabletop) and not to expensive either(no more then $100)

I also like trading, betting, waging, card drafting in the game, but it does not matter.

I would love a game with animals, but does not matter,
also something similar to the pc game The Settlers or Age of Empires where you have to gather resources and battle using armys and stuff.

When I say Gory I mean no marines, for me roman infantry is okay though, that's just my taste is all.

Thanks for all your help guys

This may seem like the stupid, obvious answer... but have you seen Catan? That seems to hit exactly the criteria you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame?

I have yet to play it, but you gather resources to build up your army so you can fight other players, which gives you more resources. You also build buildings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Thurman
Australia
Lakes Entrance
Victoria
flag msg tools
Bipf wrote:
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame?

I have yet to play it, but you gather resources to build up your army so you can fight other players, which gives you more resources. You also build buildings.

Looks like a perfect game except for the mythological creatures and gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.