Subject: Well... crap... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
(The Majestic Tale of) An Idiot With a Box
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'll just put this over here with the rest of the fire.
badge
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
mbmbmbmbmb
Some days the joys of home ownership are so awesome I can barely contain my giddiness. Today is one of those days. We had a puddle of water in the basement and since I just moved all of my games down there I was a little bit concerned by this. Yeah, the foundation is cracked.

Freakin' awesome.

It's a vertical crack which, I've read, is not as big of a deal, but since it is leaking it does need to be addressed. So since I found it at 11:00 last night and managed all of about 15 minutes of sleep last night I took the day off and get to make some phone calls.

I'll snap some pics later and hopefully Rusty can feel a little better about his toilet situation.

I have no idea why we stopped renting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I wish you luck in dealing with it. Hope it turns out to be an easy & inexpensive fix.

Personally I'm very glad to be a renter once again. Sold my condo in '08. I don't think I'll ever buy again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You sure do build your houses funny over there... Didn't the three little pigs teach you anything?

Seriously, I hope it's sorted quickly. Any water leaking in the house is a pain. You should have seen the amount of water coming through the flashing around my chimney when I bought my house the first time it rained heavily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

So you can say "See this disaster. I OWN that, baby."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

So you can say "See this disaster. I OWN that, baby."
I'm paying for the privilege of having to fix everything. Sweet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt "this old house" is a great reference and show...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,214997-2,00.html

I have read through this and agree with it all. The pictures are a great help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AvidHunter wrote:

This is perfect! That is the exact kind of crack I've got!

I can totally do this! Off to the Home Depot! Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
HYPERBOLE! It's like the greatest thing ever!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
About 3 years ago we were major landholders: renting an apartment in Brooklyn, NY; quarter part-owners of my GF's father's apartment on the Upper East Side of Manhatten, NY; a small, one storey house in Columbia County, NY; and our current faux-mansion in Columbia County, NY. We gave up the first, and with the other 3 partners divested ourselves of the second. Then it came time to rid ourselves of the third ...

We arrived with a contractor hoping for him to just do the cosmetic, interior crap and be done with it in a month or two. Between the constant streams of rain, the incipent snowfalls, and the groundhog (or woodchuck) burrow abutting the house, a most unfortunate thing had transpired. One wall in the foundation was no longer 90 degrees, but at past 85% facing into the house and threatening to bring the whole thing down. The contractor said he could do it, and so the great rehabilitation project began.

He and his men put the main floor on "jacks", only to have one and a half of the foundation walls collapse. They worked hard, but slow. Then his men needed to be paid and the contractor was getting near broke. He calls us and I must go to our back and withdraw $30,000 in cash! Walking through Brooklyn with that kind of wad made me feel nervous. But the work began again. Slowly.

The house was finished just as the housing market collapsed (thank you very much, Senator Dodd). We put in so much money into rebuilding and remodelling it that it would sell for a loss.

We decide to rent it in order to try and recoup what went into this pit. It takes a while to find someone, but when we do they turn out to be crazy and, to make this part of story short, decide to walk away.

We needed to sell it, as the bills were piling up and there were no more potential renters appearing on or past the horizon. Sold it for a loss, but at least everything we had got paid off (save for our faux-mansion's mortgage, which is now the anchorweight around us threatening to take everything down).

Yeah, home ownership is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osiris Ra wrote:
About 3 years ago we were major landholders: renting an apartment in Brooklyn, NY; quarter part-owners of my GF's father's apartment on the Upper East Side of Manhatten, NY; a small, one storey house in Columbia County, NY; and our current faux-mansion in Columbia County, NY. We gave up the first, and with the other 3 partners divested ourselves of the second. Then it came time to rid ourselves of the third ...

We arrived with a contractor hoping for him to just do the cosmetic, interior crap and be done with it in a month or two. Between the constant streams of rain, the incipent snowfalls, and the groundhog (or woodchuck) burrow abutting the house, a most unfortunate thing had transpired. One wall in the foundation was no longer 90 degrees, but at past 85% facing into the house and threatening to bring the whole thing down. The contractor said he could do it, and so the great rehabilitation project began.

He and his men put the main floor on "jacks", only to have one and a half of the foundation walls collapse. They worked hard, but slow. Then his men needed to be paid and the contractor was getting near broke. He calls us and I must go to our back and withdraw $30,000 in cash! Walking through Brooklyn with that kind of wad made me feel nervous. But the work began again. Slowly.

The house was finished just as the housing market collapsed (thank you very much, Senator Dodd). We put in so much money into rebuilding and remodelling it that it would sell for a loss.

We decide to rent it in order to try and recoup what went into this pit. It takes a while to find someone, but when we do they turn out to be crazy and, to make this part of story short, decide to walk away.

We needed to sell it, as the bills were piling up and there were no more potential renters appearing on or past the horizon. Sold it for a loss, but at least everything we had got paid off (save for our faux-mansion's mortgage, which is now the anchorweight around us threatening to take everything down).

Yeah, home ownership is fun.
Thumbed for sympathy.

I wish I could go back to the slightly younger couple walking through their "starter home" with the wife's cousin, aka the Realtor, and tell them to run. Run back to their apartment and re-sign the lease! We had money once upon a time. Then we bought a home and had a child. I'd only choose to do one of those things again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Baby ... money sink and instrument of destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
But buying a house is an investment :barf:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't the home inspector catch that? At least in PA before you buy any house the realtor requires an inspection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
But buying a house is an investment :barf:

Well, no, it's more sort of like renting a place to live from the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jpwoo wrote:
Didn't the home inspector catch that? At least in PA before you buy any house the realtor requires an inspection.

It really depends on the inspector. As with most things, some are A LOT better than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bought the house several years ago, but I suspect I'll find this crack had already been "repaired" with some cheapo crap. This house was a rental for decades before we bought it and it's filled with half-assed repairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
AvidHunter wrote:

This is perfect! That is the exact kind of crack I've got!

I can totally do this! Off to the Home Depot! Woot!

Being that you're already going, could you pick up some stuff for us. In this other thread we're trying to put some 2 by 4's over some obscure opening on our shiny new Death Star.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Huzonfirst
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Curry, Iguodala, and Co. are just too much for the valiant Cavs (and the amazing LeBron) and give Golden State their first NBA title in 40 years!
mbmbmbmbmb
The only regret I have with home ownership is that I didn't start doing it earlier in life. Maybe that's because I'm not handy and am perfectly willing to pay others to fix any problems. Even with that, the tax benefits are so great that we wind up ahead even when the market is stagnant. And when the market goes crazy, as it did 10 years ago, the ROI is pretty impressive.

I don't buy for investment purposes, but to have a nice place to live. But getting to deduct the interest payments is a huge plus over renting, where your payments are essentially flushed down the toilet. That makes it an easy choice, even though I have to pick up the tab when that toilet has to be replaced!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I firmly believe if I'm going to call someone out to fix something it is going to be truly broken. If you can figure out the board games we play, you can figure out a lot of home repairs. For example, replacing a toilet is easy (assuming you don't have rotted out floors like in another thread).

The thing I like about home ownership is I pay a little less for my new home than I would to rent a two bedroom apartment and my home is so much nicer and better for my kids than living in any apartment complex could be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
A change is better than a rest
mbmbmbmbmb
Any wet boardgames can be sent to me and in a mere 20 year program, completely dried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bankler
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
"Ma! They done killed Rando!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Larry Levy wrote:

I don't buy for investment purposes, but to have a nice place to live. But getting to deduct the interest payments is a huge plus over renting, where your payments are essentially flushed down the toilet.

But having $990 out of every $1000 of your monthly payment going towards interest, that's a wise investment!

(I own a home too, but given that many people have 30 year mortgages and move every 5 years or more often, most mortgage payments are wasted too. To be fair, you do save on the mortgage deduction, but property taxes and repairs eat into that. But the fact of the matter is that any rental I had would be much smaller than my house).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
I fully support this thread.

With an excellent sense of timing, we managed to buy our current home right at the peak of the bubble. Now, what with the recession, we both had changes in our jobs that led to reduced income - currently we are scraping by, but our ability to deal with emergency funds is becoming strained.

Of course, our value dropped enough to make us ineligible for HARP. I'm still waiting for someplace to get going with HARP2, that removed the value cap. If we can get that going, we should be able to pay off a bit of debt and have some emergency/fix it funds again. In the meantime, we have a slow leak in the laundry room that I'm sure is causing all sorts of issues…

Had we continued renting, instead we'd have low rents, and probably be able to afford purchasing at current prices.

Such is life! First world problems, really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okie dokie. I went to Menards and picked up the exact same kit the This Old House people used. I got the leaky faucet outside fixed that was cheerfully pumping water into the cracked foundation. Now I need to give it a few days to get good and dry and I can fix it. I promise to photo-document the entire mess process. I also spoken with my neighbor (a contractor) and he agreed I'm going about fixing the problem the right way.

My wife was expecting some bill for $2,000, but we got away with about $100 (assuming it fixes the problem).

Now I'm going to play the copy of Mass Effect 2 I bought myself as a reward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had two trees fall on our house in 5 years. One in a wind storm, one just for the fun of it.

But I love owning a house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
We've had two trees fall on our house in 5 years. One in a wind storm, one just for the fun of it.

But I love owning a house.
Don't bring up trees. I have to cut down four this summer all right next to the house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.