Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the question this thread hopes to determine is what is a sensible and reasonable number of games to own. We are talking about boxed boardgames here, not expansions and not print & plays. Arguably small boxed games and small pack card games still count. I’ve included some polls to get see if there is a rough numerical consensus, but discussion is probably more important.

As a background there is an ongoing minor drama in my house, as reported on this geeklist: Tell us about the Last Time your Wife/Husband/Partner Discovered the True Horror/Magnificence of your Boardgame Hoard.

If you can suppress the gibbering addict within you and resist the urge to say/think "as many as they can get" that would be good. Also what I’d rather not do in this thread is think about the maximum number they can afford/have space for. Perhaps the number of games that are likely to be played (or at least considered being playing) over a reasonable period of time.
So try to put yourself in the position of the ‘average’ gamer who has a full time job, average sized house, partner and possibly a family. They don’t have unlimited budget, game time or space.

So, using the same poll options as in the Annual user poll (and excluding expansions and print & plays):
Poll
1. What do you think is a Sensible & Reasonable number of games to own?
Ten or less
11-20
21-50
51-100
101-200
201-300
301-500
501-1000
1001-2000
2000+
2. What would your partner (or ex-partner/future partner) think is a Sensible & Reasonable number of games to own?
Ten or less
11-20
21-50
51-100
101-200
201-300
301-500
501-1000
1001-2000
2000+
3. What are your main personal constraints on the number of games you own:
Budget
Space
Available time to play games
Restrictions imposed by partner
Other (please specify as a comment)
      667 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kearon
United Kingdom
Cardiff
Wales
flag msg tools
badge
My understanding is that 739 has been scientifically proven as the optimum number of games to own, although it will shortly be revised to 745 - as soon as a couple of orders arrive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Suing
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
For me, I try to own JUST enough so that I feel that every type of mechanic, theme, weightiness, etc is covered, but not any more. Having games I look at an say, "I can't see myself ever wanting to play that game over some of the others," especially because it's very similar to other games, means it's time to get rid of it. Given how much time I devote to gaming (which is less than I'd like), I'm finding the 30-50 range to be appropriate for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think doing a survey is great and interesting!

But the purpose of finding out a reasonable number of games to own is sort of the opposite of what you can find out from such a survey.

Since everyone will have different reasons, different sorts of games, and different sorts of interests! (And different sort of lots of things . . . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
You are askin' the wrong crowd.

EDIT: I do like that 301-500 is this weird window of neither sensible nor reasonable!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you're touching on an issue called "Secret Spending".

If you're sneaking around behind your wife's back spending thousands of dollars on boardgames and hiding them all over the place... than you have a secret spending problem, not a boardgame problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
My wife told me that she wouldn't give me any grieve until I hit 1,000 games. (she did say expansions count and didn't appreciate when I shed some games to my son)

But, ultimately she doesn't give me any grieve unless I have too many games sprawled out in the living room. It's been almost 4 fours since it created enough grieve for me to write a geeklist - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/31170/too-many-games-p...

Really the space is the big issue. There's only some many rooms I can take over (until I get rid of the kids).

+edit+
to add geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
More
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
For me, it's all about quality vs quantity. I have more than my voted optimum (21-50) but some of them are waiting until my son gets old enough to play them.

But on the whole, I try to trade away the games I don't ever expect to play again and only hold on to those that I really enjoy or that friends really enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Alien
United States
MISSOURI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this "sensible" and "reasonable" you speak of? I have never even heard of those words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I might be the only person to answer this survey who put his spouse down as having a higher number of reasonable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is sensible and reasonable and what I own are two different things.

I put that 51-100 and my SO would put 21-50, though she might surprise me and say 51-100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Boyle
United States
Indiana
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think what I noticed first was that not everyone voted on each poll..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who just just moved their 100-200 collection downstairs into a new apartment and who will be shipping them back to the UK at the end of the year.....

Four is a sensible number of games to own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to slow down. While my count is at 130, it DOES include a lot of small expansions and promos. That being said, my wife would probably kill me if I go above 200.

What needs to happen is for us to play the games we own a lot more, learn some that have been purchased and just bagged and punched, and fully explore our collection before rushing out and buying more new games. It's just hard without a regular gaming group and having the normal work and family scheduling issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ghilardi
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
1) Acquire a dozen of the most replayable games, as you judge it.
2) Play them to DEATH (theirs, not yours) if you can.
3) Keep the games you can't play to death.
4) Give all the rest away.
5) Repeat steps 1-4 until the end of your life.

WARNING: It's possible that you may not make it through the first cycle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, I own more games than is Sensible or Reasonable. When I look at my collection, there are about 50 games that I play frequently and that I have played enough that I know that I want to continue to play them frequently. In addition there are about a dozen games that I only play occasionally, but like enough that they belong in my collection. Both these numbers are growing, but slowly. So my answer to the first question in the poll was 51-100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Specification to question 4:
Neither budget and space nor time is the issue, and I don't have a partner. My constraint is mostly "I want my stuff to be reasonably used and not just sit and collect dust. It sounds like the constraint is play time but it's not – it's the other games I have. My constraint when I want to buy a game is "does this really scratch a different itch or present something reasonably different than the games I already have?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say if you have alot of games that have never been played (or played more than once?) then you have too many games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:
I'd say if you have alot of games that have never been played (or played more than once?) then you have too many games....

Unless making a collection is your hobby. Then go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Nelson

Annapolis
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
I would think the logical answer is the number to own is the number that you will actually PLAY (unless you're into collecting shrinkwrapped games you'll never open). Intentions to play "someday" don't count. For me that would be somewhere south of fifty. Of course I have much closer to 500--many more than I bother to count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The proper number is one more. Always.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Engle
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
what is a sensible and reasonable number of games to own

All of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
LSMB wrote:

I have to disagree; many of my games which have never been played (or played only once) are in that state for a number of valid reasons. These reasons range from the game simply being a recent acquisition to the right conditions for play never arising (the key condition being others' willingness to play at any moment).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
We wanna be free. We wanna be free to do what we wanna do. And we wanna play games. And we wanna have a good time. And that's what we're gonna do. We're gonna have a good time; We're gonna have a party...
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how (as of this posting) there is a large wasteland in the 1001-2000 range but 7-8 people in the 501-1000 and the 2000-3000. I find that amusing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.