$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is there any game that you've never won (but yet you enjoy playing)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After taking yet another beating at Troyes last night, I started wondering: Are there any games that you never win (and I mean never -- I've yet to win a game of Troyes) and yet you still enjoy playing?

I enjoy Troyes. When the game group brings it over I'm always happy to play. (I just won't buy it for myself. It would sit on the shelf and mock me.)

I never win, but I like to play it. Are there any games you feel similarly about?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Pop
Romania
Cluj-Napoca
Cluj
flag msg tools
It's flat, mate! :)
badge
Calavera!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep.

I rarely win at Saboteur (or Saboteur 2 for that matter) but I still enjoy it very much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Enoch
United States
Vadnais Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me almost ten years before I won a game of Catan (with and without expansions), and I enjoyed every single one.

I'm also consistently being crushed in one of the copies of Risk Legacy due to the board we've made, and it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while. Still, it's great fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kissane
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet to win Quarriors or Cosmic Encounter. Always enjoy both, especially CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmb
Not sure. There are lot of games that I enjoy. I'm not sure if I've won at least once in any (or all) of them. I know I've won El Grande, Dominant Species and Power Grid. I can't recall if (and when) I've won in other games.

I don't keep track of wins and loses, but I'm sure there are games I've never one. The path to victory is more important (and fun) then the victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Oh, yes. Can't remember when I last won Rage, but I'm always eager for a game. In a group of, say, 6-8, I always end up second or third. (Then there's my friend who either wins or comes in last.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely.

Tikal
Merchants and Marauders
Power Grid
Glen Drover's Empires: Age of Discovery
Bohnanza
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely win anything so it's safe to say yes to your question since I just love to play games regardless of whether I win or not. My husband and I are pretty evenly matched, but our son is such a genius he nearly always wins any game we play. Thankfully, he does like push-your-luck games, too, so sometimes we beat him at those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnytheSkin wrote:
It took me almost ten years before I won a game of Catan (with and without expansions), and I enjoyed every single one.

I'm also consistently being crushed in one of the copies of Risk Legacy due to the board we've made, and it looks like it's going to stay that way for a while. Still, it's great fun!

Hah, I wish I knew more gamers like you in my area. My main gaming group now will sometimes entirely dismiss games based on a loss or two. I'm the same as you, I usually have a great time playing games even when I don't win them.

The only time it's not fun is when you're playing dry as a bone euro games against skilled veterans. Getting crushed when you barely understand the rules can suck the fun out of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had the person to my right "steal" the program I was intending to win with in 2 of our 3 games of Colosseum. The third game, people made a couple of trades to steal Star Performers from me, although I don't think I was in great position to win anyway.

I still want to play more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy most games, and win quite a bit (perhaps that makes them easier to enjoy?)

Regardless, I did not win the only game of Castles of Burgundy I've played but enjoyed it quite a bit. Came in 2nd out of 4.

I don't think I've ever played a game lots of times without winning at least once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
The Back Alley gets no respect.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure there are plenty of such boardgames, but I don't really keep up with that. I log plays and that's it. Out of mind.

But there is one game I have yet to win, though I play it often--PowerBall Lottery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played Dominant Species once. I didn't win. Unfortunately two of the four people playing were sour on the game since they did horrible, plus it is a long game.

I explained to them that this was the first game and no one knew what they were doing, and that the next game would go faster.

I'm hoping to play it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Fitzmaurice
United Kingdom
Cambridge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande is the game that fits this bill for me - love it, try all sorts of strategies, still end up dead last or one from last every time but enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Wand
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After about 20 plays of Hansa Teutonica with the group I've probably only won twice, the same guy wins most of the games. But it doesn't matter, I just love to play it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rae
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Vanuatu twice and lost both times but really enjoyed.
Dominant species is another I enjoy but haven't won. If I don't win its just more reason to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest S
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played War of the Ring (first edition) about 1/2 dozen times, and have never won. It does not matter what side I play, I have never won. Came close a couple of times, but no cigar.

Still, I just LOVE this game: the theme, the epic-ness, the story line, the bits… it’s all great, win or lose!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Camas
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
I still haven't won at Trajan but keep going back for more. Best I can do is a close second, and I've been the one teaching the game. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin Crane
Canada
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite games appeals to me so much because I've never won it. Have had three very intense 3/4p games of Yggdrasil. Twice we've gotten to the last card in the deck. The game sessions always result in a lively discussion of which tactics we should try next game. I love it!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
The vast majority of my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cyclades! Never won my single play of it... I really enjoyed it that one time and can't wait to play it again! Hopefully I can erase that abysmal 0 % winning record laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I log the plays I had, but do not log who won a given game and it honestly does not matter to me very much who wins the game, so I can't remember whether there is a game I have never won, but enjoy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Struggle. I've only won my first game that we played as a learning tutorial game. My opponent played Olympics in round two with DEFCON 2.

The four games sense then have all been losses. However, I enjoy the game greatly and try something different every game and attempt to learn strategy.

I'm not that great of a player in any game generally. But I love playing them. A good way to spend time with friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wintz
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
Boo
mbmbmbmbmb
Marriage
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Blome
Germany
Herne
NRW
flag msg tools
Essen 2011
mbmbmb
Jambo!

My gf beats me every single time, but I really like the game because of the variety of actions and the nice artwork. Unfortunately, my gf doesn't like the game THAT much, so I have to beg her for playing it again (just to get beaten once again).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.