$10.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is there any game that you've never won (but yet you enjoy playing)? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shanthi Gonzales
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
I am Boogie, the world's cutest dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it's Goa. This game just eludes me, but I love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmb
myrm wrote:
El Grande is the game that fits this bill for me - love it, try all sorts of strategies, still end up dead last or one from last every time but enjoy it.

Funny, I had the opposite experience. I won my first game by such a landslide that it didn't feel like there was much strategy at all, and I didn't really enjoy it enough to try again. Maybe next time I will play against more experienced players...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Ledoux
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal

Lots of second places at this one. One of Knizia's best games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Haguenau
flag msg tools
Contrary to seemingly most BGG, I'm trying to find motives to get rid of games.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmb
Go.

Either people are more experienced than me, or not interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) was in this category for a long time. I liked the complexity, the replay value, the fact that outright warfare wasn't a viable strategy. But then I won a game of it (on a tiebreaker) at BGG Con last year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus H
Denmark
Aarhus N
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rarely winning a game of Agricola, but I'm really enjoying playing THAT game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thornhill
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A few come to mind:
Troyes (last game was a tie! argh!)
Cosmic encounter
Pandemic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UndeadViking wrote:
The vast majority of my collection.
Jinx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schafer
United States
Prior Lake
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaos in the old world
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend had Power Grid, so I learned it on BSW so we could play later. Took 17 games for me to win one. It was so addicting though. But, all that practice, then I stomped all over them when we finally played IRL and it was kind of anticlimactic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylons are six for seven in my plays of Battlestar Galactica, and I was a Cylon twice (one of them being the human victory), so I've only won once. But I'd like to play it more, especially since I just started watching the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I must've played 20 games of Race for the Galaxy before I finally won for the first time. It was kind of rough losing to the same two friends every time but I think that's a sign of a good game--it keeps you wanting more (regardless of whether you win or lose)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Gamer
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wealth of Nations

Only played a couple of times, but really enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely win Race for the Galaxy mostly because I can only win with military. It still is one of my top 10 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Fitzpatrick
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't log my plays very often (or in any detail beyond the basic play) but I'm pretty sure that in half a dozen plays or so I've never won Witch of Salem. It's a co-op Cthulhu Mythos game. My wife and I both enjoy it, but have yet to win it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Pinchback
United States
Leonard
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus
This game is so great. It's the King of worker placement.
I a big O'fer on wins. I'm outclassed on BSW and can't sneak one out in person.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Most games.

I lost spectacularly at Eclipse last night, and less spectacularly every other time, but am still loving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
msg tools
mb
I win within 1 - 3 plays of any game.

Don't hate.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Young
United States
Tenstrike
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took maybe four years of sporadic play before I won a single game of Die Macher. And I won on my birthday!

And haven't won since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Digren wrote:
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) was in this category for a long time. I liked the complexity, the replay value, the fact that outright warfare wasn't a viable strategy. But then I won a game of it (on a tiebreaker) at BGG Con last year.

Also a game I love but have not yet won. But oddly enough, because people have gone for outright warfare...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to ask the same question on the forums. I just thought about this very same thing today.

Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game with 6 logged plays. This game anyway about having fun, so it really doesn't matter win or lose, at least I think so. Also Dixit with 6 logged plays and no victories. Those are the games with most plays and 0 victories.

Anyway, if you really like a game, you'll enjoy it every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tigris & Euphrates

Not sure if I just suck at this game or if I've just been horribly unlucky. I suspect mostly the former (although I remember one particular game when I drew NOTHING but red and blue tiles). I've played it at least 10 times and never won.

Still love to play it though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Decarli
Switzerland
Monte Carasso
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agricola
Race for the Galaxy

Never won but I will never miss a game if somebody asks me to play

On the other hand I never lost at Wings of War... and my "enemy" is a pilot grandson of a WWII pilot...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall wrote:
if the game takes a long time (Unhappy King Charles, our most recent one) and my loss is due to a card or side played, I quickly discard the game.

With equal opponents every game with luck factors comes down to a few dice rolls or card draws at some point. Sometimes this happens at the very end where you have the possibility to blame your bad luck. I haven't played King Charles if there some powerful cards or something but in many of the CDG's you may happen to draw a pretty bad hand at a crucial moment and lose because of that or at least the way you want to see it at that moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
myrm wrote:
El Grande is the game that fits this bill for me - love it, try all sorts of strategies, still end up dead last or one from last every time but enjoy it.

El Grande is the game I claim for this honor as well. But I still like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.