$10.00
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of various card based games, but generally prefer those that tilt strongly in favor skill over luck of the draw.

Based on reviews I actually planned on my first Ascension purchase being Storm of Souls as many have suggested it offers a bit more in the way of control and strategy than the original.

Now I've got an opportunity to pick up the first game at a discount, and was wondering if there are any popular variants that specifically maintain what people most enjoy about Godslayer while significantly cutting down on how heavily chance factors into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
For a while, we played a variant where you could send any card in the center row to the void at the start of your turn. It just turned the game into "race for broken Mechana."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen variants where you see the "future rows" in advance, allows you to plan better.

I haven't tried it yet though, I think the game is fine as it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
I've seen variants where you see the "future rows" in advance, allows you to plan better.

I haven't tried it yet though, I think the game is fine as it is.
I've played the "6x2" variant several times (with both the base game and base+RotF), where you have a full preview row above the center row, and it does give a bit more tactical feel to the game, because your card choices will be influenced not only by the knowledge of what you're leaving your next opponent, but also the gamble of "do I buy the 3-cost thing, or the 2-cost thing and hope an Apprentice shows up" goes away. Both variations are enjoyable, but all in all I tend to prefer 6x2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for what its worth, i play base and SoS alot with my girlfriend, and we find the base set (w or w/out expansion) is usually alot closer of a game between 2 experienced players than Storm of SOuls, which we find to be really fun but more swingy with big blowouts in a majority of our games. need to play more to see how we evolve with SoS, but there is definite merit in the base set as the more skill rewarding in certain ways. less haymaker combo potential, so rewards more basic nuts and bolts play more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game just came home with us! After we've played a few rounds with the official rules, we're going to give that 6x2 variant a try and report back.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lim
Singapore
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The base game has the least 'swingy' or 'overpowered' cards compared to RotF, which is full of swingy moments (Askara of fate in the starting row? First turn Oziah/Nairi/other 6 cost card for you sir!)

I have not played SoS yet, so cannot comment (though I have played about 2000 games of Ascension and RotF), but do not touch RotF if you don't like the luck of the draw. I really detest the Fate mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Guernsey
msg tools
mbmbmb
The 6x2 variant is awesome. I have played lots of 'standard' games, and several 6x2 games, and much prefer the variant. It definitely adds an extra layer of tactical thinking, and removes a considerable chunk of luck from the game. Tbh, I would always choose to play the 6x2 variant now, as I find it so much more satisfying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.