BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Next game: Finca, Cartagena, or Battleline rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I know there's not much these have in common, but they are all games I've wanted for a while. I've gotten an influx of Amazon CG's and am trying to decide what to get. I'd really like to only get one, but could probably stretch to two if the motivation was high enough.

So, which would you recommend and why? I'm leaning toward Finca or Cartagena the heaviest, in part because I like the themes better. (Who can say no to fruit meeples or pirates?) But the gameplay of all of them looks fun and like it has some strategic options without being overly complicated or tiring.

I should add that we'll play mostly with 2 and it looks like these do well with 2, but if you know of a reason why it's not so great 2p, let me know.

I'm stuck. Help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Battle Line and my wife and I play it quite often. I recommend it be included in everyone's game collection.

I played Finca for the first time last weekend and ordered it yesterday. I enjoyed the unique mechanic for moving and since it's a fairly light game I think it will get to the table often when our extended family visits. And, although I played 4-player and enjoyed the game, its theme and recommendations as a good 2-player game should get it to the table often for me and my wife.

I haven't played Cartagena or Cartagena 2. The Pirate's Nest, but it's on my radar. I haven't picked either up yet because they don't appear to play best with 2-player (important since our kids have left the nest ).

Anyway, I would recommend Battle Line and Finca. If I had the money available, I'd get all three. A quick look online and it looks like you can get all three for around $50.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
My game group enjoys Finca a lot. That one and Stone Age are the favorite "not brain burning" choices. My husband and I enjoy playing Battleline. So I would say both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Berg
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all three and glad to have them.

If only getting one game, you should definitely get Battle Line...by a wide margin. It's the sort of game you can play several times during a session.

Finca is indeed fun, and can at least accommodate three or four players as the occasion arises (best with three players, four is a bit chaotic). Certainly not a bad choice.

Cartagena has it's place (I much prefer the Tortuga variant), but it will only see the table sporadically. I think this game is better with more players, not less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend Battle Line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Deroche wrote:
Finca is indeed fun, and can at least accommodate three or four players as the occasion arises (best with three players, four is a bit chaotic). Certainly not a bad choice.

I have played it with 4 and don't think it is chaotic at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kissel
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Not sure if this will affect your decision, but should you decide on Battle Line

OxfordRow wrote:
we'll play mostly only with 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battleline is by far the best of your three options, though it is only for two players. Finca is sort of fun but a little bland. Cartagena is an abomination - it was one of the first eurogames I tried, and it nearly turned me off board games forever!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Cartagena often and love it. All three games are very good with 2.

I'd probably go with Battle Line for 2. We've played Finca with 2 & 4 and prefer it with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Finca. It's excellent with 2 and scales well to 3 or 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.