$10.00
$25.00
Recommend
32 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Dungeon Petz» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo variant for Dungeon Petz rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalk me in
France
flag msg tools
SOLO VARIANT

The rules are the same as the rulebook 2 player variant (six blocking imps rotating) , except that:

-At the beginning of every turn, you get only one coin

-To send imps to town, you have to make groups of different sizes ( for instance, to get 3 actions on the board you have to send one group of 1, one of 2 and one of 3)

-For each exhibtion, you score as many victory points as your exhibtion score

-You beat the game scoring at least 100 points

Good luck !
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Pino
Spain
flag msg tools
Cool , cant wait to try it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Johnson
Spain
Torremolinos
Málaga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!!

I'll try
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This one works well, and even with the expansion -- thank you! I'd like to determine a good "win" score with the expansion, if anyone's tried it. I've played it twice, high score of 155.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice variant, I gave it a shot yesterday with 2 games, 103 and 110.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I just wanted to say I tried this out today and it worked quite well. I am apparently terrible at this game as I only scored 61 points.

I am thinking I wasn't aggressive enough with my pets -- on the positive side, however, none of them ran away or suffered in any way.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Wood
msg tools
mb
kalkaoual wrote:

-To send imps to town, you have to make groups of different sizes ( for instance, to get 3 actions on the board you have to send one group of 1, one of 2 and one of 3)


To clarify, do you mean just imps? Or is adding gold increasing the size of grouping?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rojethee wrote:
kalkaoual wrote:

-To send imps to town, you have to make groups of different sizes ( for instance, to get 3 actions on the board you have to send one group of 1, one of 2 and one of 3)


To clarify, do you mean just imps? Or is adding gold increasing the size of grouping?


A gold piece counts as an imp in this variant. But remember that you must always have at least one real imp in a group (or 2 in the case of the "take cage" action, etc.) [Edit: Deleted incorrect sentence.]

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
and that you can't use gold on the selling platform.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that you can't send a group with gold in it to the platform (IE, you can only send imp-only groups there?)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
and that you can't use gold on the selling platform.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you saying that you can't send a group with gold in it to the platform (IE, you can only send imp-only groups there?)

Sorry, I was unclear: You can use gold to bolster your group when claiming the action space; but only actual imps can be kept in reserve on the right side of the platform.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, ok I had to double-check the rules to make sure I didn't miss something critical that I'd been playing wrong

Sorry for the confusion, thanks for clearing that up! I'll have to give this variant a try, seems a lot simpler than some of the solo variants, even if it's more "puzzle" in this setting (which isn't bad)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
I'll have to give this variant a try, seems a lot simpler than some of the solo variants, even if it's more "puzzle" in this setting (which isn't bad)


Yes, do try it. It works amazingly well for being so simple -- one of my favorites. It even works with the expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pork Chop
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife said "NO" after just one play (she does this sometimes with new games....it's funny as she will then warm up to a game once she "gets" it).

I have been itching to get this to the table ever since, this is just what I have been looking for. I am hoping that this will help me understand the best strategy for maximizing my scoring.

I played tonight and scored 76.... I have a ways to go!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wolfe

California
msg tools
mb
Just tried this out for the first time and scored a 74, will have to try again. I kind of rushed through it a bit as I had limited time and wasn't the most focused. Nice little puzzle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Blair
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just gave it a whirl, and it played really well! I had to call it quits after round 4, and had a score of 15. I've only had the game for a week or so... I'm not very good. blush
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spazz
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top score so far is 122. Nice solo variant!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelo arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kalkaoual wrote:
The rules are the same as the rulebook 2 player variant (six blocking imps rotating) ...


For 3P it's 3 blocking imps.
For 2P it's 6 blocking imps.
Why not have for 1P, 9 blocking imps?

What is the reason for keeping it at 6?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
kalkaoual wrote:
The rules are the same as the rulebook 2 player variant (six blocking imps rotating) ...


For 3P it's 3 blocking imps.
For 2P it's 6 blocking imps.
Why not have for 1P, 9 blocking imps?

What is the reason for keeping it at 6?

There wouldn't be much room for meaningful decisions. Try it out, you'll see what I mean.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelo arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:
kalkaoual wrote:
The rules are the same as the rulebook 2 player variant (six blocking imps rotating) ...


For 3P it's 3 blocking imps.
For 2P it's 6 blocking imps.
Why not have for 1P, 9 blocking imps?

What is the reason for keeping it at 6?

There wouldn't be much room for meaningful decisions. Try it out, you'll see what I mean.


There are 14 action spots and 4 dummy spots.

With 9 neutral imps, on average 2 of the dummy spots would get neutral imps. That leaves 7 of the 14 actions spots taken by neutral imps. Which leaves 7 unoccupied neutral spots to choose from.

In a 4-P game, on average you get to choose 14/4 = 3.5 spots.

So the solo rules should work out that you pick about 3.5 spots per round. That's half of the 7 to choose from. Hmmm which half to choose? Do you think those won't be meaningful decisions? Also you still have to decide which pet, which cage, which add-on when you pick those spaces.

I will give it a try. Perhaps you are right. But if so, I don't think it is obvious. But thanks for the answer. It gives me something to think about.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Just looking at the left section, if you space them evenly, there's a couple issues that could lead to the "lack of meaningful decisions" that is alluded to:
- If an imp is on a regular Buy Pet space, it's guaranteed another imp will be on the other regular Buy Pet space and the Buy Upgrade space.
- If an imp is on the Buy Cage space, it's guaranteed another imp will be on the other Buy Cage space and the Buy Older Pet space.

That means, in some rounds, of the 4 potential options, you will only have 2 of them, and those two will be the exact same every other round; either you can buy regular pets and upgrades, or you can buy cages and an older pet. You can never buy a pet and a cage in the same round.


In the upper-right section, the same dynamics could be even worse - if the imp is on a market space, it means the other imps will also be on ALL the market spaces. So every other round, you cannot buy food at all, only an artifact. And when you can buy food, you can buy any food (but due to the red/green dummy spaces, both spaces would reduce the food, which means even when you CAN buy food, it's always at a reduction in goods.)


The lower right would have a similar issue. Every other round, the only option in the round would be the hospital; The other rounds would have the other three.


If you place the first imp in the space with the dot, this means you will have 6 different options each round. (There are technically 7 choices, but on the left side, two of those choices will be identical; two cages or two pets).

So while there are choices to be had, they are very limited and not representative of what you may see in an actual 4 player game, and the fact that certain combos are barred (pet/cage, for instance) makes the chocies you do have less interesting, I would think.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
rainbowrose wrote:
kalkaoual wrote:
The rules are the same as the rulebook 2 player variant (six blocking imps rotating) ...


For 3P it's 3 blocking imps.
For 2P it's 6 blocking imps.
Why not have for 1P, 9 blocking imps?

What is the reason for keeping it at 6?

There wouldn't be much room for meaningful decisions. Try it out, you'll see what I mean.


There are 14 action spots and 4 dummy spots.

With 9 neutral imps, on average 2 of the dummy spots would get neutral imps. That leaves 7 of the 14 actions spots taken by neutral imps. Which leaves 7 unoccupied neutral spots to choose from.

In a 4-P game, on average you get to choose 14/4 = 3.5 spots.

So the solo rules should work out that you pick about 3.5 spots per round. That's half of the 7 to choose from. Hmmm which half to choose? Do you think those won't be meaningful decisions? Also you still have to decide which pet, which cage, which add-on when you pick those spaces.


You're thinking numbers, but you're not looking at the board. Yes, the left side might still be loose enough, but look at the two regions on the right: Two of the actions in each of those regions would only be available in 2 of the 6 rounds, and the other two actions would only be available in one round over the course of the entire game. It would be unplayable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelo arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Just looking at the left section, if you space them evenly, there's a couple issues that could lead to the "lack of meaningful decisions" that is alluded to:


Yes I agree. I would suggest not spacing them evenly. I would would suggest starting on on the regular spots with the following additions for the 3rd imp in each region:
Add-on
Meat
2nd Dummy near the hospital.

Quote:
- If an imp is on a regular Buy Pet space, it's guaranteed another imp will be on the other regular Buy Pet space and the Buy Upgrade space.
- If an imp is on the Buy Cage space, it's guaranteed another imp will be on the other Buy Cage space and the Buy Older Pet space.


If you do every other space it is worse than you say.
All 3 pet buying spaces would be blocked at the same time.
Then both cage and addon (upgrade) spaces would be blocked at the same time.

Quote:
That means, in some rounds, of the 4 potential options, you will only have 2 of them, and those two will be the exact same every other round; either you can buy regular pets and upgrades, or you can buy cages and an older pet. You can never buy a pet and a cage in the same round.

Yep if you space them evenly. So don't space them evenly.


Quote:
In the upper-right section, the same dynamics could be even worse - if the imp is on a market space, it means the other imps will also be on ALL the market spaces. So every other round, you cannot buy food at all, only an artifact. And when you can buy food, you can buy any food (but due to the red/green dummy spaces, both spaces would reduce the food, which means even when you CAN buy food, it's always at a reduction in goods.)


The lower right would have a similar issue. Every other round, the only option in the round would be the hospital; The other rounds would have the other three.


Yep, don't space them evenly in either case.


Quote:
If you place the first imp in the space with the dot, this means you will have 6 different options each round. (There are technically 7 choices, but on the left side, two of those choices will be identical; two cages or two pets).

So while there are choices to be had, they are very limited and not representative of what you may see in an actual 4 player game, and the fact that certain combos are barred (pet/cage, for instance) makes the chocies you do have less interesting, I would think.


You make good points. I'm sorry that my original post did not make it clear that I was intending asymmetric placement of neutral imps.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lelo arrowsmith
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wretched Git wrote:
You're thinking numbers, but you're not looking at the board. Yes, the left side might still be loose enough, but look at the two regions on the right: Two of the actions in each of those regions would only be available in 2 of the 6 rounds, and the other two actions would only be available in one round over the course of the entire game. It would be unplayable.


Everything is available 50% of the time. That 3 of the 6 rounds. Never 2 of 6.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
Wretched Git wrote:
You're thinking numbers, but you're not looking at the board. Yes, the left side might still be loose enough, but look at the two regions on the right: Two of the actions in each of those regions would only be available in 2 of the 6 rounds, and the other two actions would only be available in one round over the course of the entire game. It would be unplayable.


Everything is available 50% of the time. That 3 of the 6 rounds. Never 2 of 6.


You're right, I forgot about the non-action-space spots for the rotating imps.

Still, it would be a terrible, terrible game.

I've played this variant over a dozen times. As it is, your plans are constantly complicated or thwarted by the rotating imps. If you add more restrictions you would be railroaded into unavoidable non-choices most of the time. There would be no strategic flexibility and you would quickly discover a "script" of actions you must follow for each round to avoid being completely screwed by the unavailability of certain actions for the next 3 rounds in a row (on the right side, assuming your asymmetrical setup). I urge you to try it, compare, and report back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
rainbowrose wrote:
If you do every other space it is worse than you say.
All 3 pet buying spaces would be blocked at the same time.
Then both cage and addon (upgrade) spaces would be blocked at the same time.

The only way those scenarios are possible is if you have all 3 imps in consecutive order, as the "older pet" space is between the "regular pet" spaces, and the "addon" space is between the "cage" spaces.

So if you did every other one, you'd have some rounds where you have both "regular pet" spaces open along with the "addon" space; the other rounds you'd have both "cage" spaces open along with the "older pet" space

You could possibly do it asymmetrically, but I'm not really sure it's worth the effort; IE, I'm not sure you'd really get any more enjoyment out of restricting your options. The difference between the 2p game with the 6 dummies and the 1p game with 9 is that all 9 imps would be placed before you get to do anything; in the 2p game, you could go earlier and have more options before the field starts getting tighter.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.