Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'll make this long story short, mainly because I'm at work. I recently have got back into board games and I'm starting to pick up beefier games.

I'm looking for a way to store the many pieces that come in some of these games. For example, I have WoW the board game (plus its two expansions). The amount of pieces is crazy. I'm using baggies to store them, but there has to be a better option.

I have just placed an order for more games including Arkham Horror, Power Grid, Twilight Imperium 3 (plus the SE expansion), and have Dominant Species 3rd printing preordered.

I have seen many pictures here on BGG that show game pieces being stored in some type of mini plastic containers. I'm also seeing cool plastic sleeves to store cards in.

What are these called, say if I'm searching to buy things like this online. Also, what stores can I find these in (hobby stores, craft stores, etc.)?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Hey fellow board games! Question about storing pieces to meaty games
Plano boxes. Check Walmart. By the fishing stuff.

Check this geeklist.

I recommend Fantasy Flight Sleeves for your cards.

[Edits: Posting from cell phone. ]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For meaty games, Plano boxes are your friend. You can find them at big-box retailers (Wal-Mart, Target, Container Store, etc.) or online at places like Amazon.

I own Arkham Horror and its 8 expansions. Here is the Plano box that stores all of the cardboard bits (tokens, investigator markers, etc.):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it best to refrigerate anything with meat in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tennberg wrote:
For meaty games, Plano boxes are your friend. You can find them at big-box retailers (Wal-Mart, Target, Container Store, etc.) or online at places like Amazon.

I own Arkham Horror and its 8 expansions. Here is the Plano box that stores all of the cardboard bits (tokens, investigator markers, etc.):

Wow! Those look great. Plano boxes; got it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Michaels often has bead storage boxes on sale. They rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to that. I spent $5 on a small Plano box, then found some containers at Michaels for $2.40 (40% off $4) that were a bit bigger with one extra compartment.

For some reason, Plano boxes are hard to find around here. You can get the Wal-Mart ones but they only carry 2 models, kind of small and too big to fit in a game box, plus they're pricy.

I went to Hobby Lobby, Joann's, and Michaels and only Michaels had something similar. Everyone sold containers, but most were either too big for a game box, stupidly expensive, or lacked individual compartments so you can't actually organize anything. WAY harder than it should be.

Next time I find myself near a Bass Pro Shop I'm going to stock up on different sizes I think, also I'm trying to convince our LGS owner to stock Plano boxes and other gamer-related stuff like cloth drawstring bags, ziplock bags, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/usa/html/onlineshop/ru...

These are sold in the US at Office Depot and Staples. If you have JoAnn Fabric store around, they sell a lot of different kinds of boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian A
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
May I take your trident, sir?
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:

These are sold in the US at Office Depot and Staples. If you have JoAnn Fabric store around, they sell a lot of different kinds of boxes.

Not to steal this thread or anything, but I was just looking at these boxes. They sell some large boxes on their website, and I was thinking of using them for basic game storage. Since my apartment in SF is pretty damp, I was thinking of putting the games in there with some moisture absorbent material (silica gel). The smaller boxes seem pretty airtight, but I'm not positive it'd work.

Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigthos wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Not to steal this thread or anything, but I was just looking at these boxes. They sell some large boxes on their website, and I was thinking of using them for basic game storage. Since my apartment in SF is pretty damp, I was thinking of putting the games in there with some moisture absorbent material (silica gel). The smaller boxes seem pretty airtight, but I'm not positive it'd work.

Has anyone had any luck with this kind of thing?

No problem, Brian. Steal away! Any helpful hints on this subject are welcomed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel mueller
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Plano products are often found in sports stores as they are great tackle boxes. I've found tackle warehouse to be great for getting the right sized plano - they come in many sizes and depths. Search for 'plano' on their site and you'll see the wide variety.

If any get damaged in shipping, you can just let them know and they'll likely just tell you to keep them and send more too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Creative Organization and Storage Solutions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.