Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was one of those rare sessions in which the Ugoi opted for a passing draft, our preference decidedly being in favor of some variant of deal ten, drop three. Transpiring a number of months ago, the game proved to be our penultimate encounter in the fields of agriculture at our previous FLGS, now forever closed. In attendance were: Jimmy and Amanda, ready to give each other heck; always aspiring farmer, (“Doctor”) Jim, of blood bank renown; the very capable Matt; and me, always looking for new ways to prove myself incompetent. Matt got the button via random selection.

Round One/Sheep
Matt – 4W(4)
Geoff – Occ/Taster°
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Tutor
Amanda – 1R(1)SW
Jim – 3W(3)
Matt – 3C(3)
Geoff – Animals/1sh + 1f
Jimmy – SP + Clay Roof
Amanda – 1G
Jim – PF

Matt opens with a lumber draw, an interesting choice that allows me to shoot myself in the foot with a peremptory play of the Taster.* Jimmy’s feeling somewhat Ock-happy, and pays the premium to get the Tutor on board. Amanda thrifts, Jim hauls the distaff wood, and Matt takes the clay. I hit up the menagerie, Jimmy swipes the button to effectively turn clay into reed, Amanda dallies with a grain, and Jim plows.**

*The Ugoi currently allow the use of this oft-banned Ock at its new cost of a 2food. What Constant Reader is going to see illustrated is its relative uselessness in the earliest portion of the game.

**Would DL have been the better choice? You be the jury.

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 1W/1R/1S, 1G
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1sh, 1 Ock
Jim – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 3W, 1 PF
Jimmy – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 1 Ock, 1 MnImp
Matt – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 4W/3C

Round Two/MIMI
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Clay Worker
Amanda – Occ(-1f)/Undergardener
Jim – 1R(2)
Matt – 4W(4)
Geoff – 1R(1)SW
Jimmy – 3W(3) + 1C
Amanda – DL(2f +1V)
Jim – 3C(3)
Matt – MIMI/Fp2 (-2C)
Geoff – SP + Shepherd’s Pipe

Jimmy and Amanda both pop Ocks and put them to immediate use. Jim gathers resources, Matt doubles down on timber and picks up the game’s first cookery (no surprise there), and I thrift and grab the button to play exactly the worst available Minor in my hand.*

*What was I thinking? It must have been a Gene Wilder moment. **

**A jot of geekgold to the first Constant Reader to identify the reference.

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1W/1R/1S, 1G/1V, 1 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1W/1R/1S, 1sh, 1 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jim – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 3W/3C/2R, 1 PF
Jimmy – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 3W/1C, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Matt – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 8W/1C, 1 MjImp

Round Three/Fences
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/House Steward (4W)
Jimmy – SP + Stone Cart (6S> -2W)
Amanda – 4W(4)
Jim – MIMI/Fp3 (-3C)
Matt – Sheep(3)burn2
Geoff – 1R(1)SW
Jimmy – TP(3f)
Amanda – Occ(-1f)/Meat Seller
Jim – Fish(3f)
Matt – 3W(3)

I promptly squander my initiative with an Ock that only begs the question of why didn’t I just take the 4Wood. Jimmy retakes the button to claim as strong a return on the Stone Cart as anyone could ask, Amanda hauls the lumber I should have taken, and Jim builds the second cookery of the game. Matt, of course, immediately tears into the woolies. I thrift again, Jimmy restocks his larder, Amanda puts up an Ock that will prove itself near useless, Jim unnecessarily empties the pond, and Matt happily gathers in the remaining wood. I’m the only player in a position to build a room, but will that turn out to be a good thing or bad?

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 5W/1R/1S, 1G/1V, 2 Ock
Geoff – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 6W/2R/2S, 1sh, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jim – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 6f, 3W/2R, 1 PF, 1 MjImp
Jimmy – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 1W/1C, 2 Ock, 2 MnImp
Matt – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 6f, 11W/1C, 1sh, 1 MjImp

Round Four/Sow & Bake Jimmy – (1S)
Jimmy – 3C(6+1)
Amanda – SP + Wooden Oven (3f –3W/1S/1G)
Jim – 1R(1)SW
Matt – 1R(2)
Geoff – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Jimmy – 4W(4) + 1C
Amanda – 3W(3)
Jim – Occ/Basket Maker
Matt – 1C(4)
Geoff – DL(2f)

Jimmy can’t resist the clay cornucopia; can you blame him? Amanda snags the button to fire up the Minor oven and justify her latest Ock. Jim thrifts, Matt very nearly plays another Ock,* then reconsiders and claims the reed, a far wiser move, and I knock out a room, unwilling to grant Matt that honor. Jimmy and Amanda clear timber, Jim solidifies his food engine with an appropriate Ock, Matt reloads clay, and I glumly hit up the DL to keep myself fed. Harvest is straight-up food, by the book, the only time that will happen in this game.

*Cattle Whisperer

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 5W/1R, 1V, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 1W/2S, 1sh, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jim – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 4W/3R/1S, 1 PF, 1 Occ, 1 MjImp
Jimmy – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 5W/9C/1S, 2 Ock, 2 MnImp
Matt – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 11W/5C/2R, 1sh, 1 MjImp

Round Five/Renovation + MIMI
Amanda – SP + Crooked Plow (-3W)
Jim – 4W(4)
Matt – BR(1) + 3s (-11W/2R)
Geoff – FG
Jimmy – BR(1) (-5W/2C)
Amanda – PF + 2PF
Jim – 1R(1)SW
Matt – Sheep(2)
Geoff – DL(2f)
Jimmy – MIMI/CH4 (-4C)

Throwing caution and common sense to the wind, Amanda steps on the button to put out a plow, while the rest of us look askance. Jim snaps up construction lumber, which prods Matt to knock out a room and triple stables, which prompts me to hire on post haste. Jimmy puts up a room as well, and Amanda puts her plow to task.* Jim thrifts, Matt gathers in the woolies, and I woefully visit the DL for lack of much better to do. Jimmy buys a hearth.

*I have to at least give her props for following the dictum: play the card, use the card. The problem, of course, is proper timing in order to extract maximum benefit from the gambit.

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 2W/1R, 1V, 3 PF, 2 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 1W/2S, 1sh, 2 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jim – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 9W/4R/2S, 1 PF, 1 Occ, 1 MjImp
Jimmy – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 3C/1S, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Matt – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 5C, 3sh, 3s, 1 MjImp

Round Six/Stone Jimmy – (1S)
°Geoff – 3W(6) –2f>a.
Amanda – 1R(1)SW
Jim – SP + Axe (-1W/1S)
Matt – FG
Geoff – TP(3f)
Jimmy – 3C(6+1)
Amanda – 4W(4)
Jim – BR(2) + 1s (-6W/2R)
Matt – 1R(2)
Geoff – Occ(-1f)/Wood Deliveryman (7W> )
Jimmy – Fish(3f)

I put the Taster to first use, buying the 6Wood out from under Amanda’s nose, although for a 2food, I’m hard-pressed to decide if it’s a worthy steal. Amanda settles for more thrifting, Jim nips the button, unleashing the Axe, and Matt hires on. I cautiously refill my larder (likely a weak move, but I felt like it had to be done), and Jimmy descends upon the clay. Amanda hauls unexpected wood, Jim knocks out double rooms and a stable, and Matt gathers more reed. I ock prime downstream lumber, and Jimmy goes bass-hunting. Little does he know the horrors that await him…

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 4f, 7W/2R/1S, 1V, 3 PF, 2 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 7W/2S, 1sh, 3 Ock, 1 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 2f, 2W/2R/1S, 1 PF, 1s, 1 Occ, 1 MjImp/1 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 3f, 10C/2S, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Matt – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 5C/2R, 3sh, 3s, 1 MjImp

Round Seven/Family Growth + MI
Jim – FG + Spit Roast (-1W)
Matt – Sheep(2)burn2
Geoff – MIMI/Joinery (-2W/2S)
Jimmy – Animals/1sh + 1f
Amanda – Occ(-2f)/Well Builder ??
Jim – 1R(1)SW
Matt – 3C(3)
Geoff – DL(2f)
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Clay Firer
Amanda – TP(1f) !
Matt – Ren>C (-3C/1R) + Fp2>CH5
Geoff – SP + Fish Trap (-1W)

Jim adds a new worker, with a Minor that will prove its dependability. Matt atomizes the woolies, I buy the weak crafting Major, and Jimmy visits the zoo. Amanda then proceeds to simultaneously stick a knife in Jimmy as well as herself by using the combo Ock/FG space to put a highly suspect Ock into play.* Jim thrifts again, Matt gloms more clay, I hit up the DL for safety’s sake, and flummoxed by Amanda’s punitive move, Jimmy gets another Ock in gear. Amanda is now forced into a 1food play to keep her family fed! Shame, shame! Matt effects a smart double upgrade, and I carpe diem with a button heist plus a very tardy Minor. Jimmy’s wooly meets its maker at harvest, along with Amanda’s raw veggie, a reed from Jim, and a wood from me. The midgame snickers as it beckons us forward.

*There’s really no excuse for it, as Constant Reader will shortly see.

Current Status
Amanda – 2Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 0f, 7W/2R/1S, 3 PF, 3 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 3W, 1sh, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 2W/2R/2S, 1 PF, 1s, 1 Occ, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Wood Rooms, 2 Peeps, 1f, 10C/2S, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Matt – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 5C/1R, 4sh, 3s, 1 MjImp

Round Eight/Vegetables Jimmy – (1S) Geoff – (1W)
Geoff – 4W(8)
Jimmy – FG + Beehive (6f> )
Amanda – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Jim – 1R(1)SW
Matt – 1S(3)
Geoff – 3W(6)
Jimmy – Ren>C (-4C) + Pottery (-2C/2S)
Amanda – FG
Jim – MIMI/Well (5f> -1W/3S)
Matt – SP + Clay Hut Extension> (BR(1) –4C/1R)
Geoff – 1R(2) + 1f
Jim – Animals/1sh +1f
Matt – Occ/Tinsmith

I quickly abscond with the rare 8Wood, and Jimmy adds a peep while he can, plus a nice Minor. Amanda builds her room, Jim thrifts, Matt opts for the cheap stone, and I bemusedly haul in the 6Wood.* Jimmy renovates, snaring the Pottery, Amanda sheepishly hires on, and Jim picks up the Well. Matt retakes the button to play an excessively timely Minor, I snag the reed, Jim visits the zoo, and Matt completes his food engine by ocking clay into victuals. Nice.

*Wow! A 14Wood in two plays; how often does that happen?

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 2W/1S, 3 PF, 3 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 18W/2R, 1sh, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 2W/3R, 1sh, 1 PF, 1s, 1 Occ, 2 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 1f, 4C/1S, 3 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 1C/3S, 4sh, 3s, 1 Ock,1 MjImp

Round Nine/Boar Geoff – (1W) Jim – (1f)
Matt – 3C(6)
Geoff – Fish(3+1f)
Jimmy – 1G
Amanda – DL(2f +1V)
Jim – FG + Moldboard Plow (-2W)
Matt – FG
Geoff – Fences(13) (-13W)
Jimmy – MIMI/Clay Oven (5f –3C/1S/1G)
Amanda – Sheep(2)burn2
Jim – 1C(5)
Matt – (b1sh) Occ(-1f)/Cook
Geoff – 1R(1)SW +1f
Jimmy – 4W(4) + 1C
Amanda – 1V
Jim – Animals/1sh + 1f

Matt claims the no-brainer clay, I put the Fish Trap to work, Jimmy nabs a grain, and Amanda breaks even on her Undergardener. Jim hires on with his own plow, Matt grows, and I fence the best 2x3 I can manage. Jimmy fires up an oven, Amanda fries mutton, and Jim nabs clay. Matt burns off a replaceable wooly to ock major food relief, and I thrift. Jimmy restocks enhanced lumber, Amanda snags a veggie, and Jim visits the zoo. Harvest sees Jimmy slough a clay, Jim parts with a spitted wooly and a reed, Matt chows down on a 4Clay, and I part with a wood. Agricola certainly has a varied diet…

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 2W/1S, 2V, 3 PF, 3 Ock, 2 MnImp
Geoff – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 6W/3R/1S, 1sh, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/2 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 3f, 5C/2R, 1sh, 1 PF, 1s, 1 Occ, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 4W/1C, 3 Ock, 3 MjImp/3 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 3C/3S, 4sh, 3s, 2 Ock, 1 MjImp

Round Ten/Stone Jimmy – (1S/2f) Geoff – (1W) Jim – (1f)
Matt – 3W(6)
Geoff – Boar(2)
Jimmy – 4W(4) +1C
Amanda – 1G
Jim – Occ(-1f)/Stockman
Matt – 1R(1)SW
Geoff – BR(1) + x (-5W/2R)
Jimmy – 1R(2)
Amanda – S&B (1Gf/2Vf)
Jim – TP(3f)
Matt – SP + Dovecote (4f> -2S)
Geoff – FG + Corn Scoop (-1W)
Jimmy – 1S(2)
Amanda – MIMI/Herb Garden (4f> )
Jim – Animals/1sh +1f
Matt – PF
Jim – 1V

While Matt gathers in best available goods, snags the button for points and downstream food, and gets started on plowing, I desperately corral bacon and expand as best I can. Jimmy spends his time gathering resources as well, and Amanda pursues farming. Meanwhile, Jim puts his efforts into stuffing his larder and more animal husbandry. At Round’s end the action count stands at: Jimmy/Amanda – 22, Jim –24, and Matt/Geoff – 25. Jimmy and Amanda are clearly trailing at this point; current scores retrospectively prove to be: Jimmy – 1, Amanda – 6, Jim – 8, Matt – 11, and Geoff – 13. As we’ve all learned by now, though, fortunes can change drastically in only a few Rounds…

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 2W/1S, 3 PF(3g/4v), 3 Ock, 3 MnImp
Geoff – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 3f, 1W/1R/1S, 1sh/2b, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 3 Ock, 1 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 7f, 5C/2R, 1V, 2sh, 1 PF, 1s, 2 Occ, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 8W/2C/2R/3S, 3 Ock, 3 MjImp/3 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 7W/3C/1R/2S, 4sh, 1 PF, 3s, 2 Ock/1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Eleven/Cattle Geoff – (1W) Jim – (1f) Matt – (1f) Amanda – (1f)
Matt – 4W(4)
Geoff – 3C(6)
Jimmy – SP + Wooden Path (-1W)
Amanda – 3W(3)
Jim – 1R(1)SW
Matt – Fences(11) (-11W)
Geoff – Ren>C (-4C/1R) + Fp2 (-2C)
Jimmy – Sheep(2)burn1
Amanda – Cattle(1)burn1
Jim – Occ(-1f)/Renovator
Matt – Animals/1b
Geoff – 1V
Jimmy – 1S(2)
Amanda – Boar(1)burn1
Jim – 1G
Matt – PF
Geoff – Occ(-2f)/Schnaps Distiller
Jim – 1R(1)

Matt hauls wood, puts up an L-shaped pasture array, plops in a piggy, and erases his field negative. I snag clay, renovate and grab a much-needed cookery, grab a veggie and pop a matching Ock to avoid starvation. Jimmy does what he can with a pointed button heist, wooly harassment, and a bit of stone, while Amanda grabs a few sticks and then scrounges for food. Meantime, Jim thrifts, plays an Ock he’ll only half use, wipes the grain deficit and interdicts reed. Jimmy sloughs another clay at harvest, Jim spits another wooly and reed combo, Matt burns a wooly and 3Clay, and I slough a wood, a wooly, and distill my veggie. A few animals do their dance, and it’s on to the endgame.

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 5W/1S, 1G/2V, 3 PF(2g/2v), 3 Ock, 3 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 2f, 1W/1S, 3b, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 5f, 1W/5C/3R/1S, 1G/1V, 1sh, 1 PF, 1s, 3 Occ, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Clay Rooms, 3 Peeps, 2f, 7W/1C/2R/5S, 1sh, 3 Ock, 3 MjImp/4 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 1R/2S, 4sh/1b, 2 PF, 1(3x1)1(1x1)p, 3s, 2 Ock/1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Twelve/Plow & Sow Jimmy – (1S/2f) Geoff – (1W) Jim – (1f) Matt – (1f) Amanda – (1f)
Jimmy – P&S (PF + x)
Amanda – SP + Swing Plow (-3W)
Jim – 4W(4)
Matt – 1S(2)
Geoff – 1R(1)SW + 1f
Jimmy – Ren>S (-1C/3S) + Basketmaker’s Workshop (-2R/2S)
Amanda – 3W(3)
Jim – 1R(1)
Matt – 1V
Geoff – Fish(3+1f)
Jimmy – PF
Amanda – Cattle(1)burn1
Jim – MIMI/Reed Pond (2R> )
Matt – 1G
Geoff – Animals/1sh +1f
Jim – Occ(-1f)/Stablemaster
Matt – S&B (1Gf/1Vf)
Geoff – Boar(1)

Jimmy is disappointed by the appearance of the wrong action space, but takes it anyway, knowing he has to get cracking if he wants to eliminate his field negative.* Amanda, never one to cease amazing us, nips the button to play a second plow. Dig that! Jim hauls timber, Matt nabs stone, and I thrift. Jimmy, feeling threatened, renovates, claiming the last crafting Major. Amanda restocks wood, Jim likely stumbles with a solo reed grab, and Matt takes a veggie. Nervous, I fish, primarily because I know the Taster is going to see action shortly. Jimmy happily plows away the negative, Amanda grinds beef, and Jim pops an otherwise helpful Minor that he could just have easily played last Round. Matt cancels the second comestible deficit, I hit up the zoo, and Jim plays yet another Ock, one which will actually serve its limited purpose. Matt sows in good order, and I spike the piggies, for lack of much else to do.

*Plus it’s a perfectly solid blocking move. To my mind, the only real alternative would have been to take wood to improve his eventual fencing.

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 7f, 5W/1S, 1G/2V, 3 PF(2g/2v), 3 Ock, 4 MnImp
Geoff – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 8f, 3W/1R/2S, 1sh/4b, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/3 MnImp
Jim – 4Wood Rooms, 4 Peeps, 5f, 5W/5C/4R/1S, 1G/1V, 1sh, 1 PF, 1s, 4 Occ, 2 MjImp/4 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Stone Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 7W/1S, 1sh, 2 PF, 3 Ock, 4 MjImp/4 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 2f, 1R/4S, 4sh/1b, 2 PF(3g/2v), 1(3x1)1(1x1)p, 3s, 2 Ock/1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Thirteen/Family Growth w/o Geoff – (1W) Jim – (1R/1f) Matt – (1f) Amanda – (1f)
°Geoff – FG w/o –2f>a.
Amanda – P&S (PF + 1Gf)
Jim – 4W(4)
Matt – 3C(6)
Geoff – 1C(4)
Jimmy – 3W(3) +1C
Amanda – PF + 2PF
Jim – BR(1) + 3s (-8W/2R) + 1sh/1b/1c
Matt – Boar(1)
Geoff – SP + Clay Hut Extension> (BR(1) –4C/1R) ?
Jimmy – Fences(10) (-10W)
Amanda – 1R(1)SW
Jim – FG + Forest Pasture
Matt – Cattle(1)
Geoff – MIMI/Pelts
Jimmy – Occ(-1f)/Layabout
Jim – Animals/1sh +1f
Matt – Sheep(2)

I use the Taster for only the second time in the game to secure final growth; Amanda settles for farming. Resources are then snatched up across the board, after which Amanda puts her new plow to task. Jim secures bonus points (cf. House Steward) with a fifth room and triple stables, validating the Stockman. Matt herds a mate for his boar, I retake the button to claim my share of room-building bonus points as well, and Jimmy fences. Amanda thrifts, Jim hires on his last worker, and Matt closes out another animal negative. I generate potential bonus points, Jimmy foregoes harvest, Jim taps the zoo, and Matt rounds out his farmyard menagerie with the woolies who’ve been standing around looking innocent. He sloughs a 6Clay at harvest,* Jim sacrifices another wooly/reed combo, and I cook a wood and two piggies, claiming two bonus points from Pelts.

*When’s the last time you saw that since watching some kid eat a jar of Play-Doh™ in kindergarten?

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 4f, 6W/1R/2S, 2G/4V, 7 PF(3g), 3 Ock, 4 MnImp
Geoff – 5Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 1f, 3W/2S, 1sh/3b, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 4 Ock, 2 MjImp/4 MnImp
Jim – 5Wood Rooms, 5 Peeps, 4f, 1W/5C/2R/1S, 1G/1V, 3sh/1b/1c, 1 PF, 4s, 4 Occ, 2 MjImp/5 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Stone Rooms, 3 Peeps, 3f, 1C/1S, 1sh, 2 PF, 1(2x3)p, 4 Ock, 4 MjImp/4 MnImp
Matt – 4Clay Rooms, 4 Peeps, 6f, 1R/4S, 1G/1V, 7sh/3b/1c, 2 PF(2g/1v), 1(3x1)1(1x1)p, 3s, 2 Ock/1 MjImp/1 MnImp

Round Fourteen/Renovation + Fences Jimmy – (1S/2f) Geoff – (1W) Matt – (1f) Amanda – (1f) Jim – (1R)
Geoff – TP(4f)
Jimmy – FG w/o
Amanda – PF + 2PF
Jim – Ren>C + x (-3C/1R)
Matt – 4W(4)
Geoff – 1G + 1G
Jimmy – 1V
Amanda – S&B (2Gf/4Vf)
Jim – P&S (PF + 1Gf/1Vf)
Matt – Ren>S (-1R/4S) + Fences(4) (-4W)
Geoff – Cattle(1)
Jimmy – Animals/1b
Amanda – Fences(6) (-6W)
Jim – Boar(1)
Matt – Occ(-3f)/Chief^
^Geoff – Occ/Chief’s Daughter
Geoff – Sheep(1)
Jim – 1S(3)
Matt – SP + Clay Deposit
Geoff – 3W(3)
Jim – MIMI/Stone Oven (-1C/3S)

With virtually no hope of effectively farming, I find myself forced into ignominious scrambling for food. Jimmy takes the hire-on, Amanda plows with abandon, and Jim renovates, sadly lacking anything to bolster the move.* Matt hauls wood with alacrity, I get sole use from the Grain Scoop, Jimmy nabs a veggie, and Amanda farms for effect, as does Jim. Matt upgrades his hut and pastures, animal deficits get erased while Amanda fences, and Matt pops an insurance Ock, which lets me enjoy one of the few times I’ve ever witnessed the attendant piggyback.** I cancel a last negative, Jim hauls rocks, Matt takes the button for the fun of it, I pick up a last bonus point, and Jim buys the remaining oven, a fortuitous acquisition. Jim sloughs a clay at harvest, Amanda dumps a veggie, Jim cooks two woolies and a boar, and I disposes of a wooly/boar/wood/grain combo, putting a last 2food toward the Pelts bonus. Time to count up the scores.

Amanda volunteers rather forthrightly to be tallied first, knowing quite well that she’s riding the caboose. I then ask who thinks they’re next-to-last, and it’s Jim who responds. I go next, showing Jim that he’s been a bit too pessimistic; he has, at least, tied for second-to-last; Jimmy’s next, and somewhat abashed when the evidence of his efforts comes up shorter than he imagined. I then tally Matt’s score, and the winner is revealed.

*Constant Reader will note that he didn’t block “Ren + Fences,” but had no real reason to do so. One might also argue that he could have waited, perhaps snagging another veggie in the meantime, since no one could block him from renovating.

**This may, in fact, be the first time I’ve ever seen it happen. It doesn’t amount to a hill of beans, but it was fun to see.

Current Status
Amanda – 3Wood Rooms, 3 Peeps, 0f, 1R/2S, 3G/3V, 10 PF(6g/4v), 1(2x1)p, 3 Ock, 4 MnImp
Geoff – 5Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 0f, 6W/2S, 1G, 1sh/3b/1c, 1(2x2)2(1x1)p, 5 Ock, 2 MjImp/4 MnImp
Jim – 5Clay Rooms, 5 Peeps, 1f, 1W/1C/2R/1S, 1G/1V, 1sh/1b/1c, 2 PF(2g/1v), 4s, 4 Occ, 3 MjImp/5 MnImp
Jimmy – 3Stone Rooms, 4 Peeps, 0f, 2S, 1V, 1sh/1b, 2 PF, 1(2x3)p, 4 Ock, 4 MjImp/4 MnImp
Matt – 4Stone Rooms, 4 Peeps, 1f, 2G/2V, 8sh/3b/1c, 2 PF(1g), 1(3x1)1(2x1)1(1x1)p, 3s, 3 Ock/1 MjImp/2 MnImp

Final Score (Ocks Played, Minors/Majors Played)(Wood taken/bonus)(Rounds as SP)(Total Primary(Special) Actions)(PPA*)(Food Spent)
Primary Actions are those first taken when a player claims a space with a family member. In sessions of Farmers on the Moor, special actions are counted as Primary actions, with their subtotal indicated in parentheses. * - Points per Primary Action.

Matt – 41 (3 Occ, 3*/1)(26/0)(4)(41)(1.000)(37) #plus 7food via Cook
Jim – 35 (4 Occ, 5/3)(20/6)(1)(41)(0.854)(46)
Geoff – 35 (5 Occ, 5*/2)(27/11)(5°)(42)(0.833)(48) °-twice by virtue of the Taster
Jimmy – 31 (4 Occ, 4/4)(18/0)(3)(34)(0.912)(37)
Amanda – 22 (3 Occ, 4/0)(20/0)(1)(34)(0.647)(36)

Player Fields Pastures Grain Veg Sheep Boar Cattle Unused Stables House Peeps Pts Bonus
Matt 2(1) 3(3) 3(1) 2(2) 8(4) 3(2) 1(1) 3(-3) 3(3) 4S(8) 4(12) (3) (4)
Jim 2(1) 0(-1) 3(1) 2(2) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 4(-4) 0(0) 5C(5) 5(15) (10) (3)
Geoff 0(-1) 3(3) 1(1) 0(-1) 1(1) 3(2) 1(1) 4(-4) 0(0) 5C(5) 5(15) (3) (10)
Jimmy 2(1) 1(1) 0(-1) 1(1) 1(1) 1(1) 0(-1) 6(-4) 0(0) 3S(6) 4(12) (9) (5)
Amanda 10(4) 1(1) 9(4) 7(4) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(-1) 0(0) 0(0) 3W(0) 3(9) (3) (0)

Bits & Pieces
Constant Reader has undoubtedly noted the utter failure of Amanda’s blocking gambit in Round Seven; it’s easily the highlight mistake of the game. In her eagerness to deny Jimmy, all she accomplished was crushing her own hopes. She overtaxed her larder, delayed her own expansion, and worst of all couldn’t even cash in on the Ock she played because she was too busy the next Round doing what she should have done the Round before! Essentially, she threw an action and a 2food down the drain at a very critical point in the game. Let her folly be an object lesson.

Matt, on the other hand, played a classic game of sticking to the basics and eschewing extraneous card play. He never bothered with ocking until the second half of the game, instead opting for prime resource draws, first claim on a cookery and pillaging woolies, and timely expansion and growth. Well done!

My own woes (such as they were—one really can’t complain too loudly about coming in second) stemmed from the premature play of the Taster. I should have known better. Much like the Pieceworker, this is an Ock that functions best with the support of a proper food engine, and is only rarely going to have any significant use in the early game. If I had to ock (which I didn’t), House Steward would have been the better shot, but in retrospect, I think I should have just thrifted. In addition, the idiotic play of the Shepherd’s Pipe didn’t help my cause, either; Fish Trap or even Corn Scoop would have been much better choices. I count myself lucky to have tied for the place position.

Jimmy, of course, suffered the onus of incurring Amanda’s un-kingmaking. If he made any mistake beyond that, I’d opine he might have been better off crushing the woolies in Round Nine rather than making the effort to fire up the Clay Oven, which no one else was threatening to take at the time. For that matter, the Layabout might have been the better option for him at that point, with concurrent efforts to hasten expansion. No matter; ‘twas Beauty killed the Beast, and little he could do about it. His second-place action efficiency simply couldn’t compensate for a heavy action deficit.

Jim played reasonably well, although I suspect playing the Basket Maker may have led him in directions that diffused his efforts. I find it noteworthy that he ended up going last or second-to-last more than any other player, which to my mind makes his tie for second all the sweeter. Further comment by Constant Reader is encouraged in this regard.

Well, that’s it for yet another session of the world’s most popular game of cardboard subsistence farming. I trust the read was at least marginally amusing; all the usual errors are mine, as is so often the case; besides, it's fun to see which ones get discovered by Constant Reader. Next report will definitely be one of those online matches in which I’ve suffered innumerable slings and arrows, although it remains to be seen whether or not it’s one I manage to win. Recently played new (to me) game: Eclipse, an interesting amalgam of Euro-flavored economics and Ameri-trashy conflict on a galactic scale. I enjoyed the first exposure and would willingly play again, although probably not too many times; the game suffers, in my opinion, from a bit too much randomness, particularly in terms of combat resolution, and to a lesser extent exploration. Early setbacks appear to be quite difficult to overcome. For fans of the sci-fi empire-building genre, I can see how the game can be quite entertaining. I’ll reserve further judgment until I’ve been able to play a few more times, should that ever come to pass. Meanwhile, thanks again for reading, and happy gaming to all!

Edits: the usual grammar and spelling homework. Jim's reed discrepancy remains unaltered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not seen a minor occupation called "Producer", nor the Minor Improvement "Springtime for Hitler", but perhaps they're in one of the more obscure decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
You're warm, but thumb and a shekel for the laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Evans
Singapore
flag msg tools
www.paulandcaillie.com
badge
...um, not really.
mbmbmbmbmb
A magnificent marathon report. Must have taken as long as the game took to type up. Thanks for the committment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulEvans wrote:
A magnificent marathon report. Must have taken as long as the game took to type up. Thanks for the committment.

Thanks, Paul. Longer, probably. And I think they'll release me sometime in Spring. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Shackelford
United States
Choctaw
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, Gene Wilder and an improvement that requires a sheep...

Wild guess: it's a reference to the Woody Allen movie "Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex (But Were Afraid to Ask)".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ding! We have a winner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Jim played reasonably well, although I suspect playing the Basket Maker may have led him in directions that diffused his efforts. I find it noteworthy that he ended up going last or second-to-last more than any other player, which to my mind makes his tie for second all the sweeter. Further comment by Constant Reader is encouraged in this regard.

Well, I think Jim's tie for second place might not have been quite legitimate though! Jim built double rooms and a stable for 6W/2R, but unfortunately the Axe doesn't give any discount on the Reed costs of rooms...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Your group has a copy of Eclipse? cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Roja wrote:
Quote:

Well, I think Jim's tie for second place might not have been quite legitimate though! Jim built double rooms and a stable for 6W/2R, but unfortunately the Axe doesn't give any discount on the Reed costs of rooms...

You are, of course, correct about that, and have discovered an egregious transcription error on my part. Note that Jim ostensibly finishes the game with a 2Reed; this is the necessary amount which I overlooked deducting back when he first built the two rooms. Upon re-examination of the subsequent proceedings, I can see that he did, indeed, expend the proper amount during construction.

I'm not going to correct the record, so as to highlight your eagle eye, but my thanks for spotting the error and some geekgold in your direction!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
zeroth hour wrote:
Your group has a copy of Eclipse? cry

Strictly speaking, it's not a Ugoi possession; rather, one of the denizens at our newly-adopted FLGS has one and offered to teach it to me. I was a bit bemused when the owner told me what it's currently going for. Wow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the meat-cooking improvements out, I'm surprised that Matt was able to take the animals with such impunity, particularly when he took all three types on one turn.

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
It was pretty amazing, wasn't it? Possibly highlights the tunnel vision that can afflict players when they're busy pursuing their own needs. Admittedly by Round Thirteen it was unlikely that anyone could have prevented Matt from winning, although narrowing the gap was surely possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
In round 9 if you take sheep +1f as your last play instead of the normally-superior RSWF then you get sheep breeding at the harvest. At that point 5f is probably better than rsfw because of your taster.

With taster you can be certain you'll get plow+sow at least twice, so you should probably work with that -- if you have 1 plowed field, 1 veg, and 1 grain by R13 you'll end up with 3v 5g and 3 fields which is pretty good.

You don't need to taste fg w/o on R13 if you're going to play the clay hut extension... I also think the late schnapps distiller and the early joinery were weak plays. Save up for the Well, and just take DL or 2f+1f fishing instead of schnapps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
fbush555 wrote:
In round 9 if you take sheep +1f as your last play instead of the normally-superior RSWF then you get sheep breeding at the harvest. At that point 5f is probably better than rsfw because of your taster.

With taster you can be certain you'll get plow+sow at least twice, so you should probably work with that -- if you have 1 plowed field, 1 veg, and 1 grain by R13 you'll end up with 3v 5g and 3 fields which is pretty good.

You don't need to taste fg w/o on R13 if you're going to play the clay hut extension... I also think the late schnapps distiller and the early joinery were weak plays. Save up for the Well, and just take DL or 2f+1f fishing instead of schnapps.

Cogent comments, as always. Thanks and a tip o' the hatful to you, Mr. B.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What's ugoi? It sounds familiar but searching only finds me some fanfiction site whose name seems to be a pun on sugoi. I'm definitely not thinking of Eloi.

Also, were you just playing with the I-deck or did you mix decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zwiers
Netherlands
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The UGOI-question might become the most asked question on BGG!

UGOI = Usual Gang Of Idiots

I'm pretty sure Geoff is mixing all decks together in most/all of his games of Gric!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert is correct, although occasionally I like to substitute 'imbeciles' for 'idiots.' It's a matter of degree, really. whistle

And, yes, we normally play with all decks shuffled together. On those occasions when we use JimmyO's game, the G-Deck is also shuffled into the mix. When we play with my set, and bearing in mind that we typically play with a 'deal x, drop y' draft, the G-Deck is separate, as would be "FotM" Minors if we're playing that, and any of the 'off' decks. We'll then deal a specified number from the different decks and let the players whittle them down to the requisite 7&7. Me, I can't wait until those new decks finally get released. What a cornucopia that's going to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.