United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Every game listing has a section entitled More Information.

I wish people would give some information of game complexity within those sections. I know it's a subjective call, but anything would help.

Additionally, or maybe instead of the above, I'd like to know how many pages the rulebook has, as well as how many of those pages are actually taken up by rules, as opposed to charts, tables graphics and examples of play.

Actually, maybe a way for players to vote on complexity would be good, similarly to the way the suggested number of players can be voted on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manchuwok
Canada
Mission
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Da Debil wrote:
I wish people would give some information of game complexity within those sections. I know it's a subjective call, but anything would help.

Does the Game Weight metric not suit you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
manchuwok wrote:
Does the Game Weight metric not suit you?

Truth be told, I don't even know what that means. Yeah, I read the explanation once, but still didn't really understand it.
Besides, I suspect that my main interests, wargames, is not suited well to the Weight Matrix.
Simple information, such as the number of rule pages would tell me a lot more.

Lemme go read the Weight thingy description again...

edit: Can't find it. Where is Game Weight explained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
Da Debil wrote:
Every game listing has a section entitled More Information.

Additionally, or maybe instead of the above, I'd like to know how many pages the rulebook has, as well as how many of those pages are actually taken up by rules, as opposed to charts, tables graphics and examples of play.

Actually, maybe a way for players to vote on complexity would be good, similarly to the way the suggested number of players can be voted on.

It is also semi-useful to read the rating comments. Although take the comments with a grain of salt. For example, in one game I enjoy and would consider to be in the low-middle range, comments ranged from:

"Much heavier game than I thought it would be."

and

"Dry and heavy"

to

"A very easy fun child game. ... A fun game to play with your child once or twice."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of games have the rulebooks on here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Weight could just as easily be renamed "complexity". It's not a perfect scale, but generally really complex games have very high numbers, and simple ones have low numbers. There's always going to be some fuzziness whatever you call it (are Go and Chess "complex/heavy"? - they are pretty easy to learn, but obviously people can and have spend their lives dedicated to their strategic nuances).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.