Subject: Useless harbors? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Wienclaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan newbie here. Just played my first game with my brother and sister yesterday and we couldn't figure out how to get the harbors circled in the image below.

Are they useless? Can you settle on the corners of the single hex?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can settle on the corner of a single hex. Once you build road to them of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Melbourne
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll typically only build a settlement there if the port will provide a HUGE benefit. The 5 and 8 come up often enough that it isn't too bad, but that 11 is awful.

Since these ports were just 3:1, it is probably not beneficial for you to build there unless ALL the other options were out of reach by the time you decide you want a 3:1 port.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wienclaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
You'll typically only build a settlement there if the port will provide a HUGE benefit. The 5 and 8 come up often enough that it isn't too bad, but that 11 is awful.

Since these ports were just 3:1, it is probably not beneficial for you to build there unless ALL the other options were out of reach by the time you decide you want a 3:1 port.

The picture is just an example, but I appreciate the insight.

yaverot wrote:
Yes, you can settle on the corner of a single hex. Once you build road to them of course.

The rules that came with the base game fail to mention that. I'm stuck on the rule: "you may only build settlements on intersections".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe there is a slight discrepancy in the rules where it refers to only building on intersections of hexes.

The earlier editions did not come with the jigsaw-style frame - instead they came with additional sea-hexes (some of which had harbour markings) which were used to encircle the island. Thus all corners of all island hexes qualify as "intersections", even though with the frame they are not obviously intersections.

The fact that the rule book wording has not caught up with the redesign is clear when you consider that it defines an "intersection" as where 3 hexes meet, and yet both the beginners map and maritime trade example illustrations show settlements where only two physical hexes now meet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Claw wrote:
wizcreations wrote:

The picture is just an example, but I appreciate the insight.

yaverot wrote:

The rules that came with the game fail to mention that. I'm stuck on the rule: "you may only build settlements on intersections".

Ah, think of the ocean as another "tile" and you're building on the intersection of the tile and the ocean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wienclaw
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooooooh I got it now. Thanks everyone!

They need to update that rulebook for the newbies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon Claw wrote:
I'm stuck on the rule: "you may only build settlements on intersections".

I think it means, "you may only build settlements on places where two or more hexsides intersect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.