Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribe to many things, and almost all of them work fine. I subscribe to this blog ( Pulsipher Game Design ), and am always notified of new posts (as far as I know).

I have subscribed to several posts in that blog, and I'm pretty sure most of them work. However, there have been at least two that don't. The latest example is: February Miscellany

I subscribed earlier today, right before I posted a reply. Later today, I had not been notified of any new activity, although several new replies have been posted. When I went to the blog entry page, the new replies were outlined in blue. The same thing happened (repeatedly) with an earlier post in the same blog, but I don't remember which one. Obviously it may be happening with others as well, since I only happened to notice these by going back to them without having gotten a notification.

When I go to my Manage Subscriptions page, this blog post shows up as subscribed. I edited the subscription, and it says "Comment: Use Default (default Yes)".

I searched back several months in the bugs forum to see if anyone had reported similar problems. There was one kind of similar, but supposedly it was resolved last October. [Edit: Removed incorrect link]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just updated the thread title, because I found another case where my subscription is not working. I have subscribed to the Police Precinct game, and I am generally getting notifications of new forum posts.

However, maybe this is a misunderstanding on my part. It seems that I am not getting notified of thread replies, such as in The last days. But it seems like my other game subscriptions are generating notifications when thread replies are posted.

Is nobody else seeing these problems? Is there any way one of the BGG tech folks could debug it to see what is going wrong in my case? It's quite frustrating to know that there are probably threads out there that I posted to, but was never notified that people responded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
You can check if your Police Precinct subscription is modified away from your defaults by going to http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/feeds/thin..., dropping down the arrow next to unsubscribe and selecting Edit, then checking that Reply is set to Yes, or Use Default (if your default is yes anyway).

However, it may also be your subscription preferences.

Check Subscribe by default when I post or reply to... - I think blog posts are set to No by default unless you switch it.

Finally, on the same page check Special Subscriptions / Replies to my content and make sure Replies is set to Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, you have explained the Police Precinct issue. It looks like when I Subscribe to a game, it only subscribes threads by default, and not replies. Which is odd, because I seem to get replies in other cases. Now that I know the rules, I can live with that. So thank you.

But...

That still doesn't explain the original problem. To be clear, I explicitly subscribe to the blog post, separate from whether I reply (or not). So the last two suggestions aren't going to help with that.

I just re-re-checked my subscription to the Feb Misc post I mentioned above, and it says that I am subscribed, and that "Comment" is set to Default, which is Yes. But replies did not show up on my "New" summary page.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
col_w
United Kingdom
Poole
Dorset
flag msg tools
mb
Another possibility: do you have any blocks set up, since these always override subscriptions?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscriptions/manage/blocks

If that's not it, is your subscription to the blog set the same way as your subscription to the blog post?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscription/edit/feed/blog/435
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/subscription/edit/feed/blogpost...

Other than that I'm out of ideas I'm afraid. I think it's probably a setup issue somewhere, otherwise there would be other people reporting it as a bug too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for trying. EDIT: I don't think I'm allowed to talk about my blocks, but I can say that if I have any, they are not part of this problem.

The two subscriptions are set up differently, where the blog subscription is only for posts and not for comments, but the post subscription is for comments. It works perfectly on almost all the other blogs.

I was really hoping that a BGG techie would see this, and would be able to do some db queries to confirm that nothing in my data is screwed up, and perhaps to debug the code to see under what circumstances this could happen. Too many subscriptions? Subscription created at 3pm on a Friday? Number of subscribers is a multiple of 32? What do the two known blog posts have to do with each other, other than being part of the same blog? Is that blog different from all others somehow?

I'm a programmer, so I know it's a pain to debug stuff like this. It's even harder if you don't have access to the code and data.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
I'll have Dan check it out when he is able.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Specific example of subscription weirdness, if it helps:

I posted in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8699138#8699138

I auto-subscribe to any thread I reply to.

My 'new items' notification sent me to peakhope's reply, three posts down from mine, skipping over the two posts in-between.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
BlackSheep wrote:
Specific example of subscription weirdness, if it helps:

I posted in this thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8699138#8699138

I auto-subscribe to any thread I reply to.

My 'new items' notification sent me to peakhope's reply, three posts down from mine, skipping over the two posts in-between.

I am subscribed to that same thread, and am not getting all the notifications for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Another specific example: this week's GotW thread:

Geek of the Week #339 Ignacy Trzewiczek (trzewik)

I am subscribed, but am not getting notified of new posts.

I have no idea if this is related, but usually I see that BGG post timestamps are one hour off (earlier than) my local time (US Central vs my own US East). Now they are 2 hours off (earlier than). So looks like the servers haven't been notified of "Spring Forward".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Threads I'm subscribed to where the system worked now suddenly stopped working. E.g. The Jericho Vigil OOC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost none of mine are notifying me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My notification just skipped over two of JohnnyDollar's posts in this thread, and didn't tell me about his most recent post in the linked thread.

Possibly some subset of users are being ignored?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Same with me. Some of my subscriptions are not showing up. (Example: Complete Scenarios Compilation Series - Subscribed, but not getting notifications)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
This too shall pass.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here too. Since a couple of hours I don't get notified of new posts in the threads I subscribe to anymore. There haven't been that many, so it might be that it does not hold for every thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscriptions are acting weird for me too. I subscribed to an image, today, but seem to get notifications when the picture is thumbed, no comments to the image have been made.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here. No notifications for some of the stuff I'm subscribed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
Daylight Savings bug rears its head again - I thought I fixed it last time we had a switchover. Anyway, should be fixed now - sorry for the inconvenience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Daylight Savings bug rears its head again - I thought I fixed it last time we had a switchover. Anyway, should be fixed now - sorry for the inconvenience.

That explains the recent rash of complaints, so thanks for that.

But it doesn't explain my original problems that started long before daylight savings. I fear we may never know what caused those, and I may never know how many replies I am missing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bumping the thread, and reporting another instance: The latest Pulsipher blog post: Much of Game Design is Managing (and Causing) Frustration

I replied and subscribed last night. This morning I was not notified of several posts. Based on past events, I suspect that I will not be notified as additional posts are made.

Can a developer please please look into this? It's extremely frustrating not knowing how many interesting discussions I am missing out on. And how many people are out there thinking I am intentionally not responding to their responses to my posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmb
peakhope wrote:
Bumping the thread, and reporting another instance: The latest Pulsipher blog post: Much of Game Design is Managing (and Causing) Frustration

I replied and subscribed last night. This morning I was not notified of several posts. Based on past events, I suspect that I will not be notified as additional posts are made.

Can a developer please please look into this? It's extremely frustrating not knowing how many interesting discussions I am missing out on. And how many people are out there thinking I am intentionally not responding to their responses to my posts.

Are you referring to blog posts or comments made within a post?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Are you referring to blog posts or comments made within a post?

As far as I know, when I subscribe to a blog, I am notified of all blog posts.

When I subscribe to a blog post, I am not always notified of comments/replies to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another Pulsipher blog post that I have subscribed to, but am not receiving notifications of replies:

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/9059/what-is-a-game-what-i...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok. Here is a REALLY annoying one: My subscription to Geekdo News ( http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/767792/geekdo/news ) is not generating notifications. That means I didn't hear about last night's outage until it was already happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mb
How do you have your blog subscription preferences setup? Specifically all of these settings:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.