Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jay
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I use Cadenza's Mechanical style card to attack my opponent while standing next to him. The card says

End of Beat: Advance up to 3 spaces.

I am already next to my opponent at the moment. Do I have the choice to jump over him up to 3 spaces?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kweku
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you can jump over your opponent. In the case of mandatory movement effects, you are required to. You don't count the space your opponent is on as a movement, so the first space you move to is the space behind your opponent. Characters do not block movement, but walls (edge of the board) do

In this specific case, you have the choice to advance "up to" 3 spaces, including 0 as an option, so the movement is actually not mandatory, but you can absolutely jump over your opponent (1 space) and then advance up to 2 more spaces after that, assuming a wall doesn't stop you first

P.S. Page 26 of the rulebook is the one you want for these rules

EDIT: Changed post to apply more to this specific example
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay
United States
Forest Hills
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clarifying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Words like "Advance," "pull," or "retreat" in this game simply determine the initial direction of the movement--towards or away from an opponent. Once the direction has been determined, movement happens in that direction, even if it means you jump over your opponent and continue forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.