BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Hello all rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody -

Just wanted to introduce myself in the forums as a 1st post.
I have been a lurker for only a short while, but been gaming
since the 70's. I loved D&D as a kid, and am starting to
get interested in it again, as my kids (under 10) are getting
old enough to play.

EDIT ( part of original post cut on 1st try)

I'm also a PC gamer, but quit somewhere around 2004
to focus on my family. I also build and play arcade
cabinets, and collect and customize action figures
(mainly GI Joe and Transformers now). I used to collect
comics for many years but recently sold off the bulk of
my collection.

More recently I modified Heroclix rules to play with my kids
and that's worked out well. I'm looking forward to starting
them with D&D and also doing a few DIY games too.

Any recommendations would be welcome, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven slater
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try pathfinder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello and welcome!

Say, if you're interested in boardgames with a dungeon crawler feel to play with your kids before getting them started on actual D&D, there's always HeroQuest which is long out of print but usually very affordable on ebay. There's also Super Dungeon Explore which is basically like an anime boardgame version of that old arcade game Gauntlet. It only just released recently so it's definitely in print.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
flakybiscuit
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest you look into Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game. I think it would be a great introduction to RPGs for kids that age. When they get a little older, the theme of D&D might appeal to them more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Saint-Laurent
Quebec
flag msg tools
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your kids might like Talisman. We all loved Talisman when we were kids. I think it's a board gamer's rite of passage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did used to have Dungeon Quest (v1) when I was a kid, but lost it somewhere over time (sob). I think they were made by the same company, but are they similar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Ramos
Canada
Saint-Laurent
Quebec
flag msg tools
Sing, o muse, of the wrath of Achilles...
mbmbmbmbmb
vidmouse wrote:
I did used to have Dungeon Quest (v1) when I was a kid, but lost it somewhere over time (sob). I think they were made by the same company, but are they similar?

Do you mean HeroQuest, or Advanced HeroQuest? I would guess you are, because Games Workshop published both Hero Quest and Talisman for a while. The new edition of Talisman, the one you'll find in stores, is published by Fantasy Flight Games and improves a great many things over the aborted GW issue of the game. FFG has also released nearly all the expansions for the game.

How does Talisman compare to HeroQuest? Talisman is a board game, while HeroQuest is basically a tactical miniatures game. Talisman has you rolling dice, moving on the board, and drawing a card to see what happens to you. It's a game that captures your imagination but will very likely drag on too long. HeroQuest is more like Dungeons & Dragons on a board, with minituatures, a scripted adventure, and dice.

If you're looking for the latter, consider the excellent Descent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it wasn't Hero Quest.
It was DungeonQuest.

As I recall, it was ok. The art was really great but the tiles didn't interlock which led to a lot of shifting around of tiles, and the 1p version of it was pretty boring. I don't think I ever tried it with more b/c by then there weren't lot of kids around who were into it.

Moving on, I am currently reading through the manuals for this version of D&D basic which I got a few years back and never really cracked open. Seems like it plays a watered-down version of 3.0 rules but seems ok for me to try with the kids.

Edit: It's funny, comparing this to this version which is what I played as a kid (not mine, but a friend's set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play D&D with them you might want to simplify the rules a little bit depending on their skill level. It is an awesome RPG though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Cedro Gomes
Brazil
Aguas Claras
DF
flag msg tools
Pinky: "Gee Brain what are we gonna do tonight ?" Brain: "The same thing we do everynight Pinky. Try to take over the world !"
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome

I'd also recommend a look at the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. It's basically the best of DnD 3.5 with less expenditure.

The DnD stand alone games might also be worth looking at: Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game, Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game, +1.

If your family are younger Castle Panic might be better suited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have some

If you like D&D, you might check out these board games. They are stand alone games, but lots of folks on here use them as "tool kits" to write their own scenarios and adventures. My son and I have enjoyed the game "as is" as well as some custom stuff posted here at BGG. We've also written a couple scenarios that others have played and enjoyed.

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon Board Game
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I've seen these... is there any one D&D board game you'd recommend over the others? I'm a Salvatore fan but don't know how well I'd enjoy adventuring vs reading in his world.

Thanks for the tips. I put Pathfinder and Castle Panic on a wish list (bday coming up, heh)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jes m
United States
tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like to say I LOVE that you're playing board games with your kids. I'm a teacher and too many of my students don't get that type of quality time with their folks. Thanks for setting an example. I love that bgg is cool with kids. :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroica: Fortaan,
Heroica: Draida Bay,
Heroica: Waldurk,
Heroica: Nathuz

i play these with my kids they are 8,9,13 they love em

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Heroica Fortaan (heh, I keep wanting to say "Fortran")
for Valentine's Day from the wife. It's pretty good, and
both kids like it, but I was hoping for something meatier.

@jes b: Playing w/ the kids is not a problem...
It's getting the WIFE to play that's hard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolinski
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
then there is always Heroscape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! My recommendation would be that you make sure you check out rpggeek as well as bgg. There are lots of "play by forum" games going on there, and you could join in one if you thought you'd enjoy it. New ones start fairly regularly, so just watch out for the calls to players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Norris
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG!

A role-playing system that my children enjoy is Mouse Guard Roleplaying Game Box Set which ties really well with the graphic novels which was the hook to get them to play.

I hope you enjoy your time here. Have some geek gold so you can buy a microbadge and eventually an avatar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions! I did sign up for a Pathfinder game on RPGeek but was too late to make the initial cut... on a reserve list I guess.

I saw the post on avatars w/ geekgold but aside from a charity piece I got, don't know how to get more.
EDIT: never mind, I read the sticky now. Woof, going to be awhile before I can accrue some more, but that's ok.

Good news:
I played a quick round of DnD Adventure Game tonight w/ my 6-yr old. She loved just being able to play as a girl (actually I let her be the 2 girl wizards). She was able to take out 2 goblins with magic missiles before succumbing to the rest. She asked if her characters were dead and I said they would be alive again next time we played, and that we could try to rescue the unicorn again. Good times.
Can't wait to see how my son (8) takes to it this weekend.
Edit: In hindsight, I should've played as an NPC fighter myself to help my daughter out. Next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot L
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the welcomes!

I started detailing out my games with my kids in
another post. Have a look, hopefully it'll put a smile on your face!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.