Subject: Playing Wargames : Etiquette 101. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools

I just saw this thread come up on the General Forum of BGG.

I have a strong suspicion this has been covered many times in the past on the wargame sub forum.

Any new or old thoughts on this question ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seriously doubt people have changed much since that thread. I suppose this means that I am not sure another thread is really needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
1 rule: Get real and play the $#^$%^ game.

Everything is called common sense where I live.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan N. "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
1 rule: Get real and play the $#^$%^ game.

Everything is called common sense where I live.

Cheers, Haring

Sadly round these parts (where I live) common sense could be considered a super power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
Etiquette-wise, specifically speaking about wargames, I do think it is common courtesy not to touch another player's stacks or move their counters unless gameplay or standard gaming interaction permits it. Obviously stack inspection rules cover this, but you can also take it to an extreme.

I have played against opponents who felt compelled to align my counters a certain way and would rotate them within the hex or "neaten up" the stack. I was never so annoyed as to ask them to stop (it usually didn't go on for a long time), but I did think it impolite.

I try not to put "status" markers on my opponents' unit counters, leaving it to him/her to do it, unless we have agreed beforehand (or during the game) that it is OK.

If a die roll is "cocked" - slightly tilted on another object or piece, I always offer to re-roll, whether or not it is in my favour.

I always err on the side of "more polite" when I play people I don't know. As I get to know people, I become more casual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to play with gamers who have the same level and type of neurotic OCD grognard-esque qualities that I do. That seems to work pretty well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb

My comment is another dead horse but here it comes anyway:

If the game being played is mine, at my house, the only thing I ask is that liquids not share the same table.

I do not try to ban liquids, I just ask that they be on separate tables. At my place, I always ensure that there are tables close by for drinks and snacks.

As to my own bad habits, I have thus far managed to avoid arranging other's stacks/figures/pieces. Thus far.
(Except that, when legally examining someone else's stack, I try to put it back at least as neatly as it was, and usually neater.) shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
It's polite to let me win, at least once in a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
I have played against opponents who felt compelled to align my counters a certain way and would rotate them within the hex or "neaten up" the stack. I was never so annoyed as to ask them to stop (it usually didn't go on for a long time), but I did think it impolite.

Do you have any idea how annoying badly aligned stacks are!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Etiquette is something that needs to be drilled into people. I don't mind seeing so many threads on it as it will only get (keep) people thinking about it.

If you're tired of reading etiquette threads, stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ShallowThought wrote:
Kozure wrote:

How dare you touch another man's stacks! If you want to fiddle with your own bits, feel free - but leave mine along. modest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

Especially when...

it's my game.
I taught you how to play.
You're drinking my [whatever] and eating my [whatsitcalled]. (i.e. we're playing at my house)
it's your favorite game and this is the 14th time I've given in and played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom0909
United States
Pittsford
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer messy stacks and counters for wargames. War shouldn't be tidy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:

That's alright Andy, if you played me you could be assured you would win probably more than 'once in a while'!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
ShallowThought wrote:
Kozure wrote:

How dare you touch another man's stacks! If you want to fiddle with your own bits, feel free - but leave mine along. modest

Don't worry, I'd use tweezers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is polite to teach me to be a better opponent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
House Rules

1.0 We play for keeps at my place, so if you let your hand go, you can't change your mind, no matter how bad the move was (the only escape clause is if the move was illegal).

1.1 It is not okay to pretend to move pieces (say: to count how far a piece can move) and move them back to the stack, as this can lead to pieces placed back in incorrect hexes and mess stacks up. Its okay to point and check stacks though (if the rules allow it.) This isn't a strict rule in our house... BUT if you accidentally drop the counter(s) than the above paragraph (1.0) could apply!!!

1.2.1 Also, if an error was made in a hidden-information game (especially in a hidden movement game or a block game), say it was an illegal move that was hidden that was later revealed & discovered. The move is canceled and the piece is placed back to where it originated if possible. If it is not possible (like an enemy piece had moved in to the said hex or it would be in violation of stacking rules), the piece is eliminated. Hence it is the responsibility of the phasing player to play correctly as the information was hidden from the other player.

1.2.2 If an error (illegal move) was made in a open-information game, then the player whose turn is next (or any other player) can request the play be re-made before the completion of his or her turn. If he/she misses the opportunity to correct the error then the error stands. In this case, both players have the responsibility to ensure correct play as the information was open to all for scrutiny. This latter rule prevents games that have been played for HOURS be voided (by a sore loser) because someone discovers a mistake WAY after the event.

2.0 It is impolite to hurry someone. It is each player's right to take their time (if the rules allow it). If someone is really slow ALL the time, everyone (individually) have the option NOT to play with him next time, but its not right to be rude about it during play.

3.0 No smoking. (If you have to smoke, do it in the balcony.)

4.0 Care & respect for the game components, like it was your dear old grandmother.

5.0 Be ON time!

5.1 If it was requested by the host that you read the rules prior to the game day, then please do. (It is the responsibility of the host to ensure the rules are readily available of course.) Its impolite to make people explain the rules to you (and have you complain that you loss or made a mistake because you don't know such & such a rule.)

6.0 Don't blame the dice (even really if entropy wasn't on your side), or blame the cards or anything else, as all that does is belittle your opponent's victory and make you look & sound like a jerk.

(I am beginning to talk like a rule book....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
If an error (illegal move) was made in a open-information game, then the player whose turn is next (or any other player) can request the play be re-made before the completion of his or her turn. If he/she misses the opportunity to correct the error then the error stands. In this case, both players have the responsibility to ensure correct play as the information was open to all for scrutiny. This latter rule prevents games that have been played for HOURS be voided (by a sore loser) because someone discovers a mistake WAY after the event.

This is a good approach. I normally say that if I make a mistake, and it's beneficial to me, I'll undo it, otherwise leave it. But I think your idea is better, and puts the onus for spotting mistakes onto everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess in the end what you are saying is: read the rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
House Rules

1.0 We play for keeps at my place, so if you let your hand go, you can't change your mind, no matter how bad the move was (the only escape clause is if the move was illegal).

Harsh!

Garfink wrote:
5.0 Be ON time!

Hell, yeah.

Garfink wrote:
5.1 If it was requested by the host that you read the rules prior to the game day, then please do. (It is the responsibility of the host to ensure the rules are readily available of course.) Its impolite to make people explain the rules to you (and have you complain that you loss or made a mistake because you don't know such & such a rule.)

Now you're dreaming. Unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A-L-L y`all truly NEED to learn how to L-O-S-E 'graciously', and let's PLAY something together to work upon THAT! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jur dj
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I miss these in your list:

wash yourself
wear clothes recently washed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
House Rules

1.1 It is not okay to pretend to move pieces (say: to count how far a piece can move) and move them back to the stack, as this can lead to pieces placed back in incorrect hexes and mess stacks up. Its okay to point and check stacks though (if the rules allow it.) This isn't a strict rule in our house... BUT if you accidentally drop the counter(s) than the above paragraph (1.0) could apply!!!

1.2.1 Also, if an error was made in a hidden-information game (especially in a hidden movement game or a block game), say it was an illegal move that was hidden that was later revealed & discovered. The move is canceled and the piece is placed back to where it originated if possible. If it is not possible (like an enemy piece had moved in to the said hex or it would be in violation of stacking rules), the piece is eliminated. Hence it is the responsibility of the phasing player to play correctly as the information was hidden from the other player.

1.2.2 If an error (illegal move) was made in a open-information game, then the player whose turn is next (or any other player) can request the play be re-made before the completion of his or her turn. If he/she misses the opportunity to correct the error then the error stands. In this case, both players have the responsibility to ensure correct play as the information was open to all for scrutiny. This latter rule prevents games that have been played for HOURS be voided (by a sore loser) because someone discovers a mistake WAY after the event.

2.0 It is impolite to hurry someone. It is each player's right to take their time (if the rules allow it). If someone is really slow ALL the time, everyone (individually) have the option NOT to play with him next time, but its not right to be rude about it during play.

4.0 Care & respect for the game components, like it was your dear old grandmother.

5.0 Be ON time!

6.0 Don't blame the dice (even really if entropy wasn't on your side), or blame the cards or anything else, as all that does is belittle your opponent's victory and make you look & sound like a jerk.

That's quite a long list for an avid solo gamer..

do you discipline yourself too for not following the rules?

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Owsen
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that really bugs me is when someone roots against you. "C'mon, miss this roll." I don't mind if you root for your own rolls, but don't root against mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Garfink wrote:
House Rules

5.0 Be ON time!

Laminate/frame and post in the game room. Maybe with a little spotlight on it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.