Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an extremely rare game that was only published in Japan. If you can find a genuine copy of the thing, it will cost you an arm and a leg. Even then you're up a creek if you don't actually read Japanese.

Fortunately, BGG user

Sebastian Bludd
United States
Des Moines
IA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

and myself have tracked down full, high quality scans of the game and all its components. We currently have a translator who has graciously agreed to translate everything for us. There is a LOT of text, however, and once we get it from him we will still have to clean it up and transfer it to the board and components. Then, of course, we'll need to build a PnP package for people to download.

BUT, eventually we should have an English language playable copy of this extremely rare game for people to try out.

We'll post updates here on our progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Arcangeli
England
Manchester
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
mbmb

SUBSCRIBED.

Can't wait to see your progress on this guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy W
United States
Wheatfield
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck,this sounds like a fantastic undertaking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to check/edit the translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking of buying a copy and ask my friend for help translating too, but this would help.

Any progress?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife speaks and reads Japanese. I am sure I can force ask her to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to play devil's advocate: Not running afoul of Cease and Desist orders doesn't mean that it is legal, or even that it is okay.

I'm convinced that a community translation effort might speed things up, but has anyone tried contacting the game designers/publishers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You seem to be putting words (quite a lot of them, in fact) in my mouth. I never said that it was immoral, only that it was not legal. So, since you put "legal issues aside", you're misrepresenting my whole post. I see no reason for that.

I was just curious to know if some attempt had been made to contact the game designers/publishers.

And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Zelda fan, and I'm pretty interested in trying out the above game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
Can you link me to the scans please?

I speak Japanese too and I'd like to read the rules; I can't find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jep M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I totally support this piece of history! Please play it and write a review too-- oh wait, the rules cant be read yet, haha. Since this is Zelda, I'm confident we can find a big fan to recreate a 3d model of the Link mini and we can just 3d print it out!!

And I encourage posting up the scans too! (of the rules). It'll be awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Unterriexingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WANT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrien Castel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JepMZ wrote:
I totally support this piece of history! Please play it and write a review too-- oh wait, the rules cant be read yet, haha. Since this is Zelda, I'm confident we can find a big fan to recreate a 3d model of the Link mini and we can just 3d print it out!!

And I encourage posting up the scans too! (of the rules). It'll be awesome

I'm a big fan and I'm a 3D designer, if someone shows me the english version, I will 3Dprint some cool Link miniatures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Derrick
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As an update, our original translator dropped out due to life/work commitments. We have a new translator working on the rules now, but they just started school and are also busy. Hopefully, at some point in the not too distant future, we'll actually know how to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jep M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
that"s great Derrick! I took japanese for a year. Hopefully the rules are in katagana or hiragana and not in kanji (Looks like the game is kid friendly and provides katagana on top of some kanji)

And as for the Link components, it seems like they are modelled after this gameboard artist's depiction of Link in this pose

So you can just definitely checkout the screenshots to see how Link is supposed to look like for reference. I see that the components at lest have his eyes and matching warrior mouth, hehe. Unfortunately, the component is reversed to make the minis right handed instead of the canon left handed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
JepMZ wrote:
Unfortunately, the component is reversed to make the minis right handed instead of the canon left handed.

Although the canon itself is becoming a bit more fuzzy with the Wii games (Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword), where he is right-handed, presumably because most players would be playing right-handed and that way his motions will match the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jep M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hehe, for Twilight Princess, the gamecube version is agreed to be the "canon one". But you are right about your presumptions. Oh!!! You guys!! There's another japanese Zelda game on auction we never heard of! It's based on Alttp(A Link to the Past) but the player components is a mere token instead of the minis. I've already filed for another gameboard entry. I saved the ebay pictures as well!

Oh yeah, I wonder if when we actualize the recreation of the minis, should we stick to red yellow green blue? or go for red purple green blue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JepMZ wrote:

So you can just definitely checkout the screenshots to see how Link is supposed to look like for reference. I see that the components at lest have his eyes and matching warrior mouth, hehe. Unfortunately, the component is reversed to make the minis right handed instead of the canon left handed.

That's not necessarily incorrect... for all we know, in that photo, Death Mountain is to the right from our perspectives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Paradise
United States
Glassboro
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to this. The game looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malachi Hormel
msg tools
This thread is quite the historical moment in the history of Zelda themed board games. I'd love to offer my services to clean images, I'm quite skilled with Photoshop.

Also, if you need any help translating, I know plenty of people fluent in Japanese.

Please email me, I'd love to have a hand in this.

(oh, and I have absolutely nothing to do right now, so work would be fast)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Baum
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
Have you considered contacting Zelda fan translator GlitterBerri? She's the one responsible for many translations (she fan-translated Hyrule Historia which she posted on her site and then Dark Horse hired her to do the official one). I think she might jump at the chance to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Baum
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
So I've heard from GlitterBerri and it turns out she's completed her translation of this game! So exciting! Now we're just waiting on the conversion of it to English.

I don't know if the OP is already working on the gameboard or not, but just in case he hasn't, I've started trying to photoshop out the Japanese so that English can be placed instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phelan
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bastiantime wrote:
So I've heard from GlitterBerri and it turns out she's completed her translation of this game! So exciting! Now we're just waiting on the conversion of it to English.

I don't know if the OP is already working on the gameboard or not, but just in case he hasn't, I've started trying to photoshop out the Japanese so that English can be placed instead.
Great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katonai Gellert
Hungary
Debrecen
Hajdú-Bihar
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
guuuys, this is going to be awesome!
wish i could help in some way :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Howard
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
Is there any way to get a hold of the translation itself, please? I have a copy of the game and have been wanting to play it for a long time, but haven't had any success with some one translating it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Spode
United States
Mount Airy
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance I could get a copy of the source material in Japanese?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.