Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ackmondual
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Himeji wrote:
I play with Exodus - Cylon Fleet Board + Final Five loyality cards - and Pegasus - Pegasus board and Cylon locations overlay.

I have some problems with the Symphatizer. Basically, if you become a Cylon as a Symphatizer, you just don't have "that much fun" if you decide he can't use Basestar Bridge location, and if you allow using it, game becomes really unbalanced and cylons can crush humans with no bigger problems.

Eh... chalk that up to being an unrevealed cylon as less "fun" but necessary part of the whole ordeal.

Himeji wrote:
This is my idea how to change the Symphatizer card:
* when you draw this loyality card, no matter the resources, you always go to the brig (you are a human no matter what, people just don't trust you and think you are a traitor)
* if you already are in the brig - humans lose 1 morale
* all resources on blue - humans lose 1 morale
* When playing with the Symphatizer card (4 or 6 players game) Cylons draw 3 cards instead of 2

I haven't playtested it yet, but I think it can work. What do you think?
Any reason for Morale specifically? I'm guessing thematic. My only gameplay concern is sometimes Morale is no concern whatsoever (although I admit I may be overanalzying this)

Also, that's not necessarily applied in that order? So having 6 Morale and being in the Brig means the 2nd morale hit won't happen?

As for the 4th bullet... I don't get why it's included... I thought this entire post implied that it's only when playing with the cylon-symp.

... ooohh, unless you've intended for this to work with 5p as well.

last but not least, if you're playing with Pegasus, are you purposely; NOT using the Sympathetic Cylon mechanic (with Agendas, infiltrating.. as opposed to base game cylon symp where you do that whole thing with no using Cylon Fleet location, no drawing super crisis card upon reveal, etc.)?

Not knowing about some of issues I just asked about, it seems like it could still be fun not too broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Himeji wrote:
I have some problems with the Symphatizer. Basically, if you become a Cylon as a Symphatizer, you just don't have "that much fun"

This is my idea how to change the Symphatizer card:
* when you draw this loyality card, no matter the resources, you always go to the brig

I don't understand this line of logic. Your justification for changing the Sympathizer is that from a player perspective, it's not fun. So you change the Sympathizer to be something else that is also not fun.

The fundamental problem with the Sympathizer card is that neither option is good.

Being a cylon who doesn't have access to a portion of the cylon locations is less enjoyable than being a full cylon. Similarly, being a human who randomly gets thrown in the brig is less enjoyable than being a full human. In both cases, you're punished for drawing the card. All you've done with this variant is make one of the two bad choices happen 100% of the time. You haven't solved anything. A punishment still happens.

In terms of adding constructive comments to this topic, all I can say is that I prefer the official variant. I think -0, -1, -1, -2, is in line with the damage a sympathizer could have done. I also think that you're already one step towards that with the variant you've proposed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.