ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cylons do indeed get 'shafted' with this rule change. In one way, it's a shame since Caprica can sometimes be an interesting choice for crisis cards (sending someone else to the Brig, or affect space areas without using Cylon Fleet, but affecting Colonial Fleet ships), or can be the way to go (trying to hit Morale mostly, but in rare cases, Food), but the risk of giving humans +1 jump can be too risky (quite the contrary to the humans where playing with Exodus' CFB and giving can yield -1 jump). Personally, for our groups, since cylons have it easier, so I don't mind the way this is, as there's still an element of luck (it's not completely pro-human, and you do get to choose 2 crisis cards).

Has anyone (especially groups where humans win more often) considered revoking this rule when playing with Pegasus and/or Exodus? If you've played it this way, how'd it work out?

A solid argument for this rule change that was brought up was Cylon Leaders may need this rule to help fulfill Agendas (indeed, even pro-cylon ones at that, but of nothing else, give humans the false impression you're helping). I'd say in that case, let the CL choose whether or not the jump icon counts (I'd say before the crisis card begins its resolution, but it probably wouldn't matter either way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only do I think this change was necessary when playing with Cylon Leaders, but I think this (along with the new Human Fleet) make revealed Cylon decisions more interesting.

With the original Cylon locations, revealed Cylons would either use the Cylon Fleet if it would immediately do some damage, but most of the time would just sit on Caprica playing Crises.

With the updated locations, Human Fleet has been beefed up and Caprica has been toned down a bit, bringing them all to be viable options, depending on the situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
Germany
41472 Neuss
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maybe draw 3 crisis cards, put 1 on bottom, play one , put one on top. That way chance is higher to play the card w/o the jump symbol now :)

Regarding the OP... Iam not sure I think in big games its really bad to have the Jump icon count. In smaller games it does not matter that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Jump Icons are needed. Caprica can be very, very strong for the Cylons. (Current Player chooses Crisis, Cylon Attack.) The trade-off is that you risk helping them on. If you don't want that, there's always the Human Fleet.

I think this balance change from the base game to Pegasus (and Exodus) was absolutely warranted.

It also makes the choice of the crisis more involved; you will frequently end up drawing a no-jump crisis that won't harm the humans much, and one that hurts them, but advances the jump track. You'll have to weigh the benefits. It was a frequent complaint that the game becomes boring for revealed Cylons - Choices like these alleviate that issue.

even when you draw two crises with jump icons, you get to bury one of these. So while the humans will get a jump icon on your turn, you have also moved up the next non-jump crisis further up in the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.