Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gabelman
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this game; however, in my many plays, Red takes Harisburg and Blue takes Martinsburg. Green usually goes up and Yellow usually trails south-west.

I've recently been playing American Rails and I might like AR MORE due to the variable set-up. It seem that in CE, there are certain pre-set moves that maximize profitability, and the game in the first 10 moves or so seem somewhat mechanical. Am I missing something? Are there other, deeper strategies to pursue?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
Yes. Note that this is not a track-building game (board play is usually not significant), it is a nearly pure auction game.

Have you read my Joseki articles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it necessarily as a weakness. It makes the game a bit easier to calculate and predict. Also, you can help new players by helping them build optimal areas for them. And finally, the optimal placements won't matter if someone is looking to sabotage.

So in other words, I find it to make the game more straight forward, which I see as a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to what has already been said, it's worth noting that while there are certain common routes that each company tends to take, there are variations. What will really throw a wrench into your track-building, however, is when people start to purposefully sabotage railroads, either by hemming in one railroad with another, or by steering track off into the mountains to waste track and/or company funds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian K.
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
In addition to what the others said, this is one of those games that change if players are willing to experiment. Try cutting off railroads of which you have no share instead of heading for big cities, just for once, watch what happens and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
Florik wrote:
In addition to what the others said, this is one of those games that change if players are willing to experiment. Try cutting off railroads of which you have no share instead of heading for big cities, just for once, watch what happens and have fun.

True. Try to look at the track-building as a way to influence the other players rather than as a way to construct a network.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing to note as well. Red and blue can easily get to Chicago in 6 builds. For green and yellow, they can ALSO get to Chicago in 6 moves, but it involves going through mountains and forests. They could go along the edge and get there in 7 builds however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb
What's 'Central and B' ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.