Puerto Rico» Forums » General

Subject: Adding Variability to 2 Player Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
I bought Puerto Rico around a week ago and I've been playing 2 player games using the official Alea 2 player variant. After around 8 games we feel it's getting a bit repetitive. How can we add replayability? Is it normal for it to feel repetitive with only 2 players? What about randomly selecting buildings instead of using 1 of each? I've read about people playing Puerto Rico hundreds of times and still loving it but after 8 plays we do feel we are following nearly the same strategy in each game. Should we try and learn different strategies that can be used to make it more replayable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert Meyer
Denmark
Trekantsområdet
flag msg tools
Skål - Cheers - Gom Bui - Prost - Almien - Salut - Kampai - Na Zdrowie - Gan Bae - Qapla
mbmbmbmbmb
I would definitely recommend the variant where only the governor selects 3 roles per turn. It makes for somewhat more interesting decisions.

But in the end PR is a game with only one random element (plantations), so it's entirely on the players to change it up. If you're only the same two players every time it can get repetitive, especially if you're not into experimenting with different strategies.

Edit: We usually play like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played the two-board version. Each player plays two boards, alternating turns. Play is like that of a four player game.

You can mix that up by scoring different ways: Combine points for both boards, throw out the lower board's score (so that you can sacrifice it for the sake of the other), or throw out the higher score so that you have to build both well.

--ElSoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warning on this though. It hurts my wife's head something awful to play this way. I've heard that comment from others too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a search there is a comprehensive review of the different 2P variants of this game. I play with one where the governer takes 3 roles, and you draw 12 random purple buildings and those are the one available for your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
We've tried most of the variants:
- 3 roles each and 7 role cards
- 3 roles for governor, 2 for the other and 7 role cards
- 2 roles each and 6 role cards
- 2 offices and no construction hut

I think we will try drawing 12 random buildings variant next time. I have been avoiding playing with 2 boards but will see how that goes but I think we probably do need more players to increase re-playability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest I've never played with the Alea version of the 2P game, but I could not imagine enjoying a normal 2P game with just one each of the 12 buildings. I think the variability of what's available on the table forcing you in to different approaches is key for replicating the multiplayer feel.

Then again a 2P game is a different beast from a multiplayer game so it may not be a desirable objective all the time...but I think it works well for PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rzaleski wrote:
Warning on this though. It hurts my wife's head something awful to play this way. I've heard that comment from others too

No argument here. I was a seasoned PR vet when I first tried this and it took me a game or two to fully grasp the interactions (and remember the plans I'd laid out).

I do think it provides a good two-player experience, though.

--ElSoy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tibs
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Gov-3 Other-2 role choice setup is a must-do for us.

To keep the game fresh, we randomly draw buildings for the game, using both expansions (and a home-made building set).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.