Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several Geeklists that identify games with good rulebooks. See Worlds Best Rulebook.

But what makes them so good? For you, what would the best rulebook look like? What would it have? What would it not have?
What format would be used. What size?

Obviously, complex games (i.e. The Campaign for North Africa) may have a rulebook that is longer and more detailed than a rulebook for a simple game (i.e. the card game War or Rock-Paper-Scissors). However, surely there are still characteristics or features of rulebooks that allow even complex games to have rulebooks that are considered outstanding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What would the perfect rulebook look like?
Organization, Clarity, Examples

See Dominant Species, Combat Commander: Europe, etc. (See a trend there?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
When I get sad I stop being sad and be awesome instead, true story.
mbmbmbmbmb
The perfect rulebook would:
d10-1 Be concise
d10-2 Let the theme help explain why the game works the way it does
d10-3 Have clear examples for every tricky concept
d10-4 Give strategy tips
d10-5 Include a very brief summary of how the game will play out towards the front of the rulebook
d10-6 Include a picture of how the game will look when set up and how it may look at various points during the game
d10-7 Include a cheat sheet for each player (should include order of play and a symbol chart at the very least)
d10-8 Include a list of easily missed rules and/or a FAQ
d10-9 Include a link to a YouTube video in which the designer explains the game in a concise and clear manner
d10-1d10-0 Include a link to a wiki/FAQ for any errata that may be needed over time (makes it easy for new players to immediately find any changed rules). The wiki/FAQ would be moderated by the designer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything not printed by....

Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Full color with lots of pretty pictures that show examples of pieces, setup, and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeHansje wrote:
Perfect rulebook would be: non-existing. The game in question is so clear and intuitive (for everybody) that gameplay presents itself without the need for an explanation.

aaaaaaah, that sounds really really nice.

A kin to that would be: the rulebook someone else reads, understands, and explains clearly... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
Note the difference between active voice and passive voice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
FreeHansje wrote:
Perfect rulebook would be: non-existing. The game in question is so clear and intuitive (for everybody) that gameplay presents itself without the need for an explanation.

No, no there needs to be one rule:

1. Place the game board - face up! - in the middle of the table.

Then it should be self-explanitory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victoria Osborne
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if there are more than 6 pages to your rule book a table on contents and/or index.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:

Fantasy Flight Games

Their rule books would be a case study on how not to write them so they have some use.

Anyway rule books need to be clear, concise, unambiguous and laid out logically without bloat and repetition with a clear index and rules for one activity in a single place. Terms need to be clearly defined and adhered to. Every sentence should be required rather than padding to reinforce a rule already stated. FFG fails on every definition of that.

I do not care about pictures as that depends on the game but usually they should be included as well with clear examples. Many wargame rules include designer notes, basic strategy advice and examples of play. Some other game styles could benefit from this as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Windopaene wrote:
Organization, Clarity, Examples

See Dominant Species, Combat Commander: Europe, etc. (See a trend there?)

Couldn't agree more about CC:E. Not so sure about DS, but hey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis O'Connor
United States
Citrus Heights
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belfort

Perfect blend of humor and clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Twitt
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redward wrote:
The perfect rulebook would:
d10-1 Be concise
d10-2 Let the theme help explain why the game works the way it does
d10-3 Have clear examples for every tricky concept
d10-4 Give strategy tips
d10-5 Include a very brief summary of how the game will play out towards the front of the rulebook
d10-6 Include a picture of how the game will look when set up and how it may look at various points during the game
d10-7 Include a cheat sheet for each player (should include order of play and a symbol chart at the very least)
d10-9 Include a link to a YouTube video in which the designer explains the game in a concise and clear manner
d10-1d10-0 Include a link to a wiki/FAQ for any errata that may be needed over time (makes it easy for new players to immediately find any changed rules). The wiki/FAQ would be moderated by the designer

Agree with 1-3.

4, 7, and 8 should be kept in a separate book. I don't like a bloated rulebook. Starfarers of Catan had an excellent rulebook which was basically a large sheet of paper folded in half. Then there was an explanation book that was like 30 pages sorted by topic if you ever had a question about the (honestly self explainatory) mechanics.

9 is a nice idea but 10 should be mandatory by now. Paizo does a great job with Pathfinder's SRD. Whenever there's errata they simply paste it on the side and the editor adds a ton of notes when issues arise. With the top publishers having dozens to hundreds of games, there's no excuse why there isn't a one-stop wiki to get every bit of information in one convenient spot. It almost feels like board game publishers/devs are firmly stuck in the 90s. I turn to BGG whenever I have an issue, not the publisher. That shouldn't be right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronnie Edwards
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaybeethree wrote:
Redward wrote:
d10-4 Give strategy tips

...4, 7, and 8 should be kept in a separate book. I don't like a bloated rulebook. Starfarers of Catan had an excellent rulebook which was basically a large sheet of paper folded in half. Then there was an explanation book that was like 30 pages sorted by topic if you ever had a question about the (honestly self explainatory) mechanics.

9 is a nice idea but 10 should be mandatory by now. Paizo does a great job with Pathfinder's SRD. Whenever there's errata they simply paste it on the side and the editor adds a ton of notes when issues arise. With the top publishers having dozens to hundreds of games, there's no excuse why there isn't a one-stop wiki to get every bit of information in one convenient spot. It almost feels like board game publishers/devs are firmly stuck in the 90s. I turn to BGG whenever I have an issue, not the publisher. That shouldn't be right.

Good point about 4,7,8 and you are totally right about publishers. We should be able to count on them for a wiki/FAQ. At leats in a perfect world...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:

Fantasy Flight Games

OR the game Neuland. Worst rules EVER...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Occu Pant
United States
Clive
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all that have provided serious responses.

Also, thanks to all that have provided ridiculous answers as some of them are definitely funny and should put a smile on everybody's face.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a rulebook needs to cover a few pages, humor is a key part. Make it so the rulebook is actually a fun extension of the game and not a necessary evil that needs to be drilled down to its core.

I like Space Alert's rulebook for this reason.

Also, make sure that anything that needs to be looked up over and over is either on the same page in easy to understand tables or on a quicksheet for each player (yes, Fantasy Flight Games I'm talking to you).

I like a breadth-first approach better than a depth-first one. Explaining the governing rules makes it easier to understand why there may be some caveats and if the governing principles are sound, it's easy to distill the rules from them.

Pictures should be used often to support the rules and make quick lookups easier. No more "where was that part with that rule about that thing?" Browsing images is way easier than browsing text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darin Young
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with previous comments concerning clarity, etc. However, the one thing I really miss in current rulebooks is a sample game turn or two. Yes, I can take the time to scour the 'net to try and find a video where someone walks me through the game, but I'd much rather have it as part of the rules that I bought in the first place. I've had a number of games over the years that I couldn't bother figuring out because either the rules weren't clearly written or there was no sample play of the game or both. I typically sell the darned things off. The latest game in that boat is Mousquetaires du Roy which I still haven't figured out (and I really want to like this game--it's the Three Musketeers). Yes, there are videos, but frankly I'm not interested in watching a video to try and figure out a game. Most of those make my eyes glaze over because the reviewer/videographer takes waaaay too long to get to the meat of the thing. Having a clearly written sample of the first couple of turns goes a long way in my mind toward making a better rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Highland Raider wrote:
I agree with previous comments concerning clarity, etc. However, the one thing I really miss in current rulebooks is a sample game turn or two. Yes, I can take the time to scour the 'net to try and find a video where someone walks me through the game, but I'd much rather have it as part of the rules that I bought in the first place. I've had a number of games over the years that I couldn't bother figuring out because either the rules weren't clearly written or there was no sample play of the game or both. I typically sell the darned things off. The latest game in that boat is Mousquetaires du Roy which I still haven't figured out (and I really want to like this game--it's the Three Musketeers). Yes, there are videos, but frankly I'm not interested in watching a video to try and figure out a game. Most of those make my eyes glaze over because the reviewer/videographer takes waaaay too long to get to the meat of the thing. Having a clearly written sample of the first couple of turns goes a long way in my mind toward making a better rulebook.

Wargame rulebooks usually come with an example of play as standard. I agree they are very important to understand the flow of the game and to grasp some of the trickier rules and concepts. Some companies like FFG would do well to get a big red pen and cross out all the bloat (up to 70% of the words in some of their rule books I have suffered through) They could then fit in something actually useful such as a walk through of a turn or two along with designer notes.

I do think what all rules writers should also do is say to themselves 'Is this absolutely necessary and does it add anything to what has already been said?' If no then delete. The OCS wargame rules follow this concept and their rules are clean, concise and easy to reference even though they are a lot more complex than most games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Gosaric
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davio wrote:
Also, make sure that anything that needs to be looked up over and over is either on the same page in easy to understand tables or on a quicksheet for each player (yes, Fantasy Flight Games I'm talking to you).

I like a breadth-first approach better than a depth-first one. Explaining the governing rules makes it easier to understand why there may be some caveats and if the governing principles are sound, it's easy to distill the rules from them.

Pictures should be used often to support the rules and make quick lookups easier. No more "where was that part with that rule about that thing?" Browsing images is way easier than browsing text.

Rulebooks should address two or three different needs:

1. learning a game from scratch . I agree with breadth first, depth second and some visuals to get you an idea about what the rules are saying in relation to actual board and bits.

2. refreshing memory on a game you already played. I'm not sure a lot of rules are made for this, but bgg player aids are. This is particularly problematic with games that have turn phases that trigger under specific conditions (Power Grid original rules are terrible in this regard, there exist rewritten rules that make this easier).

3. looking up specific terms and situations that occur during the game. Index is great, having a special section of the rulebook just for this is even better, much better.

Humour fits only in section 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
See my profile to find out what technology has already been fed and added to K-9.
badge
Hard drive is spinning up... WEEEEEEEEEE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1., First Topic...

How to convince your wife/husband this was money well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Phoenix, AZ
Arizona
flag msg tools
Silenced - BGG's moderation policies have driven me completely from here
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/
mb
As small as possible - until it hits about 8 pages;
at that point spend the extra effort on cross referencing
and an index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An easy to read font, with black text and a white background. Having it in .pdf format on the publishers website would be great as well. Lastly, format it in such a way that it won't make my Kindle cry, or this old man strain his eyes trying to read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Eagles
United States
Springdale
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ejtracer wrote:
Page 1., First Topic...

How to convince your wife/husband this was money well spent.

The cover of the rulebook should look like a diamond catalog, and have the title "So you love your wife so much your willing to spend several thousand dollars on her"

The reverse should look like a Harley catalog and have the title "So you love your husband so much your willing to spend several thousand dollars on a brand new custom Hog"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.