Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Betty Egan
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've recently acquired Arkham Horror and have been perusing the forums while learning to play the game, it struck me that there is over 400 pages of threads, approx 4800 threads at this point in time. So I wondered if any other game had as many threads in the forums. I got side-tracked and looked up a few of the more popular games but could not find one that had more than Arkham Horror.
Agricola with 3687 and Dominion with 3448 were the closest I could find. Not that I looked that hard, mind you. Settlers, being the most owned (according to comments) only had 1697.
Not that it really matters, but I was just curious if there was a way to find out which game(s) had the most threads in the game's forums.
It does say something about the proliferation of the game, the difficulty of the rules, and just the general interest in the game overall.

Obviously I have too much time on my hands this morning
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though I think one or two of those threads might be duplicates...
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
whistle

Do you mean duplicates because the same rules questions are being asked many times over? Often it is easier to ask the question and get a quick response, rather than search through 400 pages for the answer.

Even if duplicates, or multiple similar comments, etc. it still speaks to the popularity of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Brother Jim wrote:
whistle

Do you mean duplicates because the same rules questions are being asked many times over? Often it is easier to ask the question and get a quick response, rather than search through 400 pages for the answer.

Even if duplicates, or multiple similar comments, etc. it still speaks to the popularity of the game.

Yes, that what I meant. "Easier" to do doesn't necessarily mean "better to do," of course. That said, yes, I think you're right that the number of threads speaks to the popularity of the game and the complexity of the ruleset. It's just a shame that, accordingly, the most popular games with the most complex rulesets have forums that, aside from a few well thumbed reviews or strategy articles, have become so bloated that they are unusable as any kind of resouce other than a chat room. Until wikis on the game pages become more popular or sticky threads are introduced, this campaign is at least part of the solution. It wouldn't necessarily take care of duplicate threads but it's a big step in the right direction.

I, too, am curious as to subject of your thread - which game has the most traffic in threads. I don't think I've seen any games with more threads than Arkham. Anyone know of any?

Edit: fixed link
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hancock
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham is one of the most popular non-mainstream boardgames in the world, its no surprise that it has some of the most active forums on BGG.

A little bit of its large forum is because of rules questions but Arkham has nearly 300 pages of non-rules threads too. In comparison, Puerto Rico (which was #1 game for years and years) has only 180 pages including rules questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
approx 4800 threads at this point in time

And 3524 of those are about which expansions to get and in what order. The rest are rules questions.

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.