Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My opponent was playing the Soviets and and played the 5 year plan as his last action for the Ops points which meant that I got the "advantage" of him randomly discarding one card which had to be his last card (which in normal circumstances he would have hold onto until the next turn.) He had engineered his hand so that this last card was a scoring card and hence this scoring card was discarded without triggering the event. My question is whether this is legitimate? There is a logic that argues by playing Five Year Plan as his last action then by definition he must have "held" the scoring card which is not permissable.

I believe I've read elsewhere that a player CAN'T discard a held scoring card as part of the "Eagle/Bear has landed " ability on the Space Race and this seems similiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul M
United States
Elkhart
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
100% legit. It's a good tactic if the USSR can pull it off with a good USA scoring card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rice
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The FAQ specifically addresses this question.

# 5 Five Year Plan

Q. Is it permissible for the USSR player to play (on his last action phase) the Five year Plan knowing that he will be forced to discard the sole remaining card in his hand which is a scoring card.

A. It is illegal to hold a scoring card. A player may use the Five Year Plan in order to force himself to discard a scoring card. This would be especially smart if the card would a score a region where the player is not well-represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done it myself and it's great to watch the American player seethe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
leroy43 wrote:
I've done it myself and it's great to watch the American player seethe.

That's what I love about this game. It's about finding those combinations that just seem like bastardizations of the rules, but in fact that is the game. It's politics at it's finest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's quite legal and smart play really. If you follow the steps of a turn the check for a scoring card is after this discard occurs. The space race track specifically disallows discarding scoring cards as it would break the game to allow it. Half the cards would never get scored and anyway the space race mechanic has no correlation to events as such so I do not see it as similar at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CyberGarp wrote:
leroy43 wrote:
I've done it myself and it's great to watch the American player seethe. :D

That's what I love about this game. It's about finding those combinations that just seem like bastardizations of the rules, but in fact that is the game. It's politics at it's finest.

The other day my opponent suddenly realised that although she held 4 cards and her VP track was fine she was guaranteed to lose the game. She simply hadn't spotted it as a danger before it was too late (nor would I have) It was great fun when she suddenly declared 'In about 10 minutes the world will end, please put on your seat belts and prepare to die'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason it works is that a card isn't 'held' until after all the action rounds in a turn are completed as the USSR you could even hold onto a scoring card that would auto-lose you the game anyway in the (probably vain) hope that the US will finish the turn with a card that makes you discard it (pretty risky, but if you were going to lose anyway!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.