Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really not a fan of game of Thrones but while exploring various ways to make express version of games that already existed, it came to my mind that it could relatevely work well with game of thrones.

The idea is that the basic dice will use the faces on the tokens: Defend, raid, attack, consolidate power, etc. Players would roll and keep dice and then decide how to use them. Maybe you roll 1 die per territory you have and then place your dice on the territories.

Not sure if all player does the same before resolving the dice (it would take a lot of dice) or if one player plays one at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Shoeburyness
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would make it a thoroughly different game - and I'm not sure how "express" it would make it! Having a more restricted choice of what you can place would make each decision that much more weighty.

It could also completely break the game - imagine rolling no March dice, for example! I can't see the idea taking off, to be honest - sorry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have to agree with Stuart, I don't think your idea would make the game that much quicker, only more random. If you think for example of a game like Risk, adding in dice doesn't automatically translate to less thinking time/alliance brokering, just more risk-taking.

If you wanted to try to design an 'express' version of GOT I'd be interested to see what you could come up with, but it would take a lot of work. You'd probably have to rewrite the rules quite a bit to remove some of the more complex stuff - quite a bit of time in this game is thinking about future moves/bidding/mustering etc. so you'd need to somehow keep the essence of what makes the game good while trimming away enough stuff to shorten it.

What sort of time frame were you thinking of 'speeding it up' to?
Did you just want to drop it by a little, to say a 3-4 rather than 4-5 hour game? Or more substantial, like a sub-1 hour deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no march dice, then you play more defensively by using defend raid, and consolidate power. The idea is you do not have complete control on the actions you want to use.

It's possible that it will require a map with less territories.

Anyways, it's just a random idea that I am throwing in the wild, I am not really inretested to work in this project (since I don't like game of thrones), but I would play if somebody makes a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mb
To me, one of the joys of aGoT is that there are no dice. Like Diplomacy, the game is based far more upon back-room deals than getting a lucky roll. Twilight Imperium is a game that does just fine with dice, but I think aGoT benefits more from removing randomness than increasing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like a really cool idea for a game, like a wargame version of Kingsburg or Elder Sign, or Memoir '44 with dice instead of cards. But I don't think it would really work as anything close to A Game of Thrones other than recycling the components and general idea of how the orders work. It wouldn't be any faster, either, unless the map was redesigned.

It's a really clever core mechanic for a game, though, especially if there was some way to effect your luck (better dice, re-rolls, etc). If you make something like that, I would absolutely try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Berry
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the mechanic of War of the Ring. You get dice and depending on what you roll determines what action you can take. And that game is not fast at all! I played this pastweekend and it took us 5 hours haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JohnnyC Waytobe
United States
flag msg tools
mb
DRGNLRD wrote:
That's the mechanic of War of the Ring. You get dice and depending on what you roll determines what action you can take. And that game is not fast at all! I played this pastweekend and it took us 5 hours haha

Good point! I actually really enjoyed that mechanic in War of the Ring. BTW, did you find that WotR did an EXCELLENT job of creating the atmosphere of the books/movies? Particularly as the good guys - I felt the hopelessness of the fellowship as it started to break up, the eagerness of Gondor and Rohon to fight it out and the massive reluctance of the elves and the dwarfs to go to war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's the mechanic of War of the Ring. You get dice and depending on what you roll determines what action you can take. And that game is not fast at all!

But I think LOTR add a lot of thematic content (event cards) to the game that could be the reason why it's longer.

Adjusting game speed is not really a problem. Having less territories will probably be essential to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sdric
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
If you want to play a GoT express :

1) Do not play with Fiefdom and King's court Influence track, iron throne, Valeryan blade and Raven token.

2) Do not play with Westeros, Tide of Battle and Wilding card.

3) All consolidate power = muster, can only be played on controlled castle or stronghold but even if empty.

4) Maximum number of star order is two for all player.

5) Supply is check at the end of each turn

6) Keep number of controlled territory with a crown with power token in front of you (King's landing count for two)

7) Always put a power token used as a controller marker when you leave a territory. (from the reserve, not the one use to keep the number of controlled territory with a crown)

8) Game finish in 8 turns or 6 castle/stronghold hold at the end of turn

9) Iron throne track are determined at end of each turn by :
a) Number of power token in front of you (see point 6)
b) Number of castle
c) Previous place in the track

10) Battle Tie are break with :
a) Number of power token in front of you (see point 6)
b) Number of supply
c) Attacker win

11) You have 3 min to place all your order.

12) You have 3 embassy token for all the game, each embassy token allow to start a 3 min private discussion.

13) Open discussion are allowed but if two player start to chat for too long a embassy token must be spend.

14) New power of Aeron Damphair :
You may immediately remove one of your Power tokens on the map to discard
Aeron Damphair and choose a different House Card from your hand (if able).

15) New power of Doran Martell :
Immediately remove one of your opponent Power tokens on the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I did not play with 6 players yet, but 4 games with 5 and 4 players. They took about 2,5 hours as soon as everyone knew the rules.

How much faster do you need the games to be? Maybe not the right game, if you cant handle that "long" kind of a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The goal of express games is not to improve the current game, it's to create a new game with the same theme where the mechanics has some similarities with the original game but where the game plays very fast. For example, there is:

Dune Express
Battlestar Galactica Express
Arkham Express
etc.

Generally express games aim for a 30 min games. But it can sometimes reach 1 hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.