United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy..."
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Twixt twice now. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I plan to play again. I also play Hex, and enjoy the game thoroughly. That said, Twixt and Hex seem like very close cousins. Maybe too close?

For those of you with more experience, why would you choose to play Twixt over Hex? Or Hex over Twixt? Are the games different enough to justify an investment of time in both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
They have the same goals, indeed. Twixt seems a bit more devious and Hex straightforward.

I'm not sure there's a vast superiority of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
There are many such Connection Games, each with their own specific feel. If you like Hex and Twist you might also enjoy exploring others, e.g. I am also playing Havannah and Slither lately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"For the listener, who listens in the snow, and, nothing himself, beholds nothing that is not there and the nothing that is." -- Wallace Stevens
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
There are many such Connection Games, each with their own specific feel. If you like Hex and Twist you might also enjoy exploring others, e.g. I am also playing Havannah and Slither lately.

Definitely. Connection games are some of my favorites, even if I haven't played a wide variety. You are not the first the mention Slither in a positive light. I'm looking forward to giving that one a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Shipman
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, if that weren't enough, there's also Pex, Crossway, Unlur, and several other variations. Despite the similar theme, Hex and Twixt differ in many ways. Hex is probably a "better" game than Twixt, especially if played on larger grids. The winning path might meander all over the place. There's a better balance between tactical thinking and positional judgement. Twixt is mostly tactical, and the tactics are completely different from those in Hex, although a positional "sense of balance" is important. A winning path in Twixt generally cannot have very sharp turns in it. I personally prefer Twixt. One possible advantage for Twixt is row handicapping, a granular way for players of different strengths to both enjoy a challenging game. There are Twixt puzzles, some articles, and a wiki-like website devoted to it.

Maybe the deciding factor for you would be the availability of opponents. Hex is more popular overall. I recommend you play a lot of games of each and see for yourself which one you enjoy more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David,

Thank you for your insights. Obviously, I don't have the experience to make an educated comparison of the two games. I simply noticed that, on my first trials with Twixt, many of my Hex strategies seemed to, with slight modification, work in Twixt. As I progress, this feeling may change.

twixter wrote:
I recommend you play a lot of games of each and see for yourself which one you enjoy more.

I will surely be taking your advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
twixter wrote:
One possible advantage for Twixt is row handicapping, a granular way for players of different strengths to both enjoy a challenging game.

Does that not work in Hex for some reason I'm not thinking of?
(I assume by "row handicapping" you mean using a different number of rows and columns, so one player has a shorter distance between their 2 sides to be connected, right?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Shipman
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
If you like Hex and Twist

Wasn't that a song by the English Beat?

Oh, yeah, a simple winning strategy has been shown for the player receiving a row handicap in Hex, even if the other player moves first, even on a 100x101 grid. Looking for a link...

FOUND: http://webdocs.cs.ualberta.ca/~ph/handicap.pdf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Alex Good
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I recently got PÜNCT and have played it once. It adds a nice little layered twist to the connection game. I have a very hard time seeing any good strategies in Twixt. I'm not saying they aren't there, I'm just not intuitively seeing them. I end up just chasing my opponent and inevitably losing that race. I may have to try some of the puzzles to see what a good strategy actually is.

Jeez... How hard can it be to draw a line from point A to point B??? is a nice list of connection style games that I just ran across. I'm going to have to peruse it in more detail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doogxela wrote:
I recently got PÜNCT and have played it once. It adds a nice little layered twist to the connection game. I have a very hard time seeing any good strategies in Twixt.

Oddly enough, I had the opposite reaction. Hex and Twixt I can play. Punct is a nut I have yet to crack.

Quote:
Jeez... How hard can it be to draw a line from point A to point B??? is a nice list of connection style games that I just ran across. I'm going to have to peruse it in more detail.

Cool. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
twixter wrote:
Oh, yeah, a simple winning strategy has been shown for the player receiving a row handicap in Hex, even if the other player moves first, even on a 100x101 grid.

I now remember reading and verifying that proof four decades ago. Was it in 536 Puzzles and Curious Problems?

BTW, the best connection game is ConHex. Second best is Stymie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Koppang
United States
Westmont
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

I love how opinionated Connection game fans seem to be!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
Barticus88 wrote:
twixter wrote:
Oh, yeah, a simple winning strategy has been shown for the player receiving a row handicap in Hex, even if the other player moves first, even on a 100x101 grid.

I now remember reading and verifying that proof four decades ago. Was it in 536 Puzzles and Curious Problems?

I don't like the irregular topology of either of those games. Slither is a really top quality connection game but Hex and Twixt are difficult to beat. Akron is a favourite of mine. I also need to investigate Mirador some more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
mb
Ah, yes, Mirador! I've played it quite a bit online at superdupergames.

So many connection games, so little time to connect with them (ha!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.