Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Maynor
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again. I just wanted to post a quick review of this game. Why a quick review? Well, this review will take me more time than the game itself in many ways.

I saw it in a bigger book store... and just decided to buy it... less than a 5 minute decision.

I checked my cash on hand. For $10, you really can't go wrong to try a game that can have as many players as you want.

I then walked back to our board game group and opened it up... a 2 minute read of the rules is all that it took.

If I count the walking and unwrapping time, that's roughly 10 minutes from decision to table. We played first with 4 players, and then with 5. If not for other games drawing our attention, we likely would have played again with 7. People were standing around watching us play, and laughing like mad. So, was this worth $10?

Whats in The Box

The small box contains 400 cards and a timer. The little hourglass is timed for 20 seconds, and the cards are 2 decks of 200 cards each. One of the decks is full of people, the other is a list of events. That's it, simplicity at it's finest.

The Game

Ok, first a quick overview of what this game IS and IS NOT. This is a game of epic challenges. Thing Hercules and his 12 labours, or the Odyssey... and then throw that right out the window. Some of the events are pretty mundane, while others are off the wall. But when they really come together is when you see who is performing them.

The game will go around the table, with the active player picking a person from the person deck, and the person he is challenging picking a person also. These are turned face up on the table in front of these players... and then the top event card is revealed.

At this point, a timekeeper flips the hourglass and the active player has 20 second to make his case! He must now debate why his person will be better at this challenge and beat his opponent. After this, the timer flips again, and the player who is challenged has 20 seconds to counter this claim. You can also add a 5 second rebuttal in there if you choose.... but this is the meat of the game.

After arguments are made, the rest of the table votes on who the winner is. So, as to what this game IS.... it IS a game of rhetoric. It is debating pure and simple. But what it is NOT is logical. The best logical argument may not win.... because if people are laughing, you are getting their vote.

Example.... from the title of this article....

Who would Win?

Harry Houdini vs Stephen Hawking in a Ski Race!

I made a bold argument, and yet, the sheer hilarity of Hawking coming down a slope lost this argument for me. And you know what? That's what makes this game work. Yes, Barbie clearly beats John Wayne at gymnastics, she always sticks that landing perfectly stiff after all. And apparently Spider-Man is not all that great in a Baking Contest, who would have thunk it?

Fun Factor

Yeah, this game is fun. As I said, even those standing near the table to see what we were doing were having a good laugh. If someone is completely logical, they might not enjoy this game. If your argument is based on physics, or the fact that someone is dead precludes them from participating in any of these events in your mind, you aren't really getting it. I am not sure how large a group this can effectively take before it gets too long to play, but I can see 8 or even 10 being not too big of a problem.

I have even thought of a variant or two that can use these cards to good effect, so while it's own replayability is great, it also lends itself to some tinkering for even more fun. All in all, you can't beat that for $10.

Final Thoughts

I can't stress this enough, for $10, you cannot go wrong. For a nice party game, Who Would Win? beats out many other party games we have played for my group, at a fraction of the cost. This seems to be another of those rare cases where someone markets just the bare essentials for a game, and gets it right. I can't say it is going to be fun for every group, but a non-gamer can sit down and understand the intent and fun of this game right away.

Also, the timer is nice, but not strictly necessary. Stop watches, smart phones, a decent time keeper, tons of ways to replace this. So with just the cards, we can even reduce the size of the container (which is already small) and fit this whole game in your pocket. Easily one of the smallest party games I have seen that can accommodate so many players.

I don't think you can go wrong with this one.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Olson
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. Good review!

You might also like Argue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Thompson
United States
Marion
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the game, but disagree - you can go wrong. Played with some people who a little shy and did NOT enjoy Speech in hs/college - they felt embarrassed and awkward the whole time, but wouldn't say so of course, but unanimously let me know about it afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.