Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the saying goes, "Ninth time's a charm."

I just got finished with my first successful attempt at JAtA. I had tried a lot of different deck combos. Last night I tried one with Thalin, Legolas, and Dunhere. Once I got passed the troll, though, I had no questing power and quickly gave in to my threat. So this morning, I made a couple of tweaks and gave it a go.

I used Dunhere, Eowyn, and Legolas. I pulled a few Tactics cards out and put in some Spirit cards (including Galadhrim's Greeting). I used a Mulligan to start out because I really wanted a copy of Gandalf in my starting hand. One of the 3 copies showed up after shuffling and drawing 6 new cards. I also drew a copy of Stand and Fight.

I spent the first couple of turns questing, saving my resources. Mostly locations and Treachery cards, but nothing too bad. Then I played Gandalf and hit the troll for 4 damage. Then I used him to quest, and kept Dunhere and Legolas to fight another enemy, adding progress tokens to the quest due to Legolas' ability. On my next turn, since I had been saving my resources, I played Stand and Fight to bring Gandalf back into play, and dealt 4 more damage to the troll. My threat was at 29, so I engaged the troll, used Gandalf to defend, then finished him off, completing the first scenario card in the process.

While drifting down the river I played some Lorien Guides. I used them, Eowyn, and Legolas to quest, while Dunhere would attack the enemies from afar. I also gave him a Blade of Gondolin for extra help against orcs, and the help quest whenever he killed an enemy, which was nearly every turn. Locations started to pile up and I had to discard down to zero cards due to that one nasty location with 3 threat. I was starting to lose hope as the locations were piling up. I used an entire turn to kill the Marsh Adder, using the card that prevents an enemy from attacking. But that was a big hit to my threat for not committing as many characters to the quest. I could barely keep up with questing and my threat level was in the high 40s. I had placed down a third Lorien Guide, so that was helping to get rid of a location on every turn (I traveled to the Banks of Anduin every turn, then would explore it, returning it to the top of the deck assuring the first encounter card drawn was only 1 threat), but my threat soon reached 49. I had to draw one of three cards to survive: My third Gandalf (my second one had come and gone while on the river), my second Galadhrim's Greeting (reduce threat by 6, which I had already done once), or my second Stand and Fight (to get Gandalf back into play and reduce threat). I just thought about how there might be a card that allows you to take one Spirit card from the discard pile, but I don't think that was even in my deck. Not sure.

Anyway, miraculously, I drew Stand and Fight! I brought Gandalf back (I had LOTS of resources at this point), and reduced my threat to 44. I was able to finish the journey down the river on that turn. Now, I had never allowed myself to look at the third scenario card because I wanted to it be a surprise. I drew the two final encounter cards. I had 4 or 5 locations and two enemies: the swarm of birds and Chieftan Ufthak. They both engaged me and I let a couple of allies get in their way, then attacked the Chieftan. He had been hit once already by Dunhere, and this attack left him with two HP. I increased my threat to 45. I saw that the locations in the staging area equaled 8 threat. Since no more cards were added to the staging area, I committed Eowyn only, and increased my threat to 49. I used a Gondorian Spearman to take out the Swarm simply by defending, then hit the Cheiftan for one by using a second Spearman. I had plenty of attack to finish off Ufthak for the win.

Had I taken the time to calculate exactly how much attack I needed, I could have committed some Lorien Guides to the quest and ended with a lower threat level and gotten a slightly better score. As it was, I finished with a score of 46. All of my heroes were one hit away from death, but I had the Hill Troll, Marsh Adder, and the Chieftan in my victory pile.

My confidence has been restored!

Until I try the next scenario at least...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations on your win, Kevin!

One important thing though: Stand and Fight can't pull out Gandalf from the discard pile (according to the FAQs), since Gandalf doesn't belong to any sphere. I know, that sucks and doesn't make a lot of sense to me; I like to think of Gandalf as belonging to "all" spheres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Högquist
Sweden
Hagersten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
As the saying goes, "Ninth time's a charm."

I just got finished with my first successful attempt at JAtA. I had tried a lot of different deck combos. Last night I tried one with Thalin, Legolas, and Dunhere. Once I got passed the troll, though, I had no questing power and quickly gave in to my threat. So this morning, I made a couple of tweaks and gave it a go.

I used Dunhere, Eowyn, and Legolas. I pulled a few Tactics cards out and put in some Spirit cards (including Galadhrim's Greeting). I used a Mulligan to start out because I really wanted a copy of Gandalf in my starting hand. One of the 3 copies showed up after shuffling and drawing 6 new cards. I also drew a copy of Stand and Fight.

I spent the first couple of turns questing, saving my resources. Mostly locations and Treachery cards, but nothing too bad. Then I played Gandalf and hit the troll for 4 damage. Then I used him to quest, and kept Dunhere and Legolas to fight another enemy, adding progress tokens to the quest due to Legolas' ability. On my next turn, since I had been saving my resources, I played Stand and Fight to bring Gandalf back into play, and dealt 4 more damage to the troll. My threat was at 29, so I engaged the troll, used Gandalf to defend, then finished him off, completing the first scenario card in the process.

While drifting down the river I played some Lorien Guides. I used them, Eowyn, and Legolas to quest, while Dunhere would attack the enemies from afar. I also gave him a Blade of Gondolin for extra help against orcs, and the help quest whenever he killed an enemy, which was nearly every turn. Locations started to pile up and I had to discard down to zero cards due to that one nasty location with 3 threat. I was starting to lose hope as the locations were piling up. I used an entire turn to kill the Marsh Adder, using the card that prevents an enemy from attacking. But that was a big hit to my threat for not committing as many characters to the quest. I could barely keep up with questing and my threat level was in the high 40s. I had placed down a third Lorien Guide, so that was helping to get rid of a location on every turn (I traveled to the Banks of Anduin every turn, then would explore it, returning it to the top of the deck assuring the first encounter card drawn was only 1 threat), but my threat soon reached 49. I had to draw one of three cards to survive: My third Gandalf (my second one had come and gone while on the river), my second Galadhrim's Greeting (reduce threat by 6, which I had already done once), or my second Stand and Fight (to get Gandalf back into play and reduce threat). I just thought about how there might be a card that allows you to take one Spirit card from the discard pile, but I don't think that was even in my deck. Not sure.

Anyway, miraculously, I drew Stand and Fight! I brought Gandalf back (I had LOTS of resources at this point), and reduced my threat to 44. I was able to finish the journey down the river on that turn. Now, I had never allowed myself to look at the third scenario card because I wanted to it be a surprise. I drew the two final encounter cards. I had 4 or 5 locations and two enemies: the swarm of birds and Chieftan Ufthak. They both engaged me and I let a couple of allies get in their way, then attacked the Chieftan. He had been hit once already by Dunhere, and this attack left him with two HP. I increased my threat to 45. I saw that the locations in the staging area equaled 8 threat. Since no more cards were added to the staging area, I committed Eowyn only, and increased my threat to 49. I used a Gondorian Spearman to take out the Swarm simply by defending, then hit the Cheiftan for one by using a second Spearman. I had plenty of attack to finish off Ufthak for the win.

Had I taken the time to calculate exactly how much attack I needed, I could have committed some Lorien Guides to the quest and ended with a lower threat level and gotten a slightly better score. As it was, I finished with a score of 46. All of my heroes were one hit away from death, but I had the Hill Troll, Marsh Adder, and the Chieftan in my victory pile.

My confidence has been restored!

Until I try the next scenario at least...

Well done. I remeber working hard to win this scenario, and when you finally do, that victory nectar tastes Fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hassan Lopez
United States
Saratoga Springs
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:

One important thing though: Stand and Fight can't pull out Gandalf from the discard pile (according to the FAQs), since Gandalf doesn't belong to any sphere. I know, that sucks and doesn't make a lot of sense to me; I like to think of Gandalf as belonging to "all" spheres.

Yeah, I think his card even says that you "discard Gandalf from play" after the round is over, rather than put him in the discard pile.

Regardless, fun session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Gordon
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:

I never even noticed that last sentence on the card until I just now went and reread it, that says the character can be from any sphere of influence. Seems a bit odd that Gandalf doesn't belong to a sphere, but, yeah, by a strict reading of the card it would be illegal to bring Gandalf back like that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Can someone provide a link to the official FAQ? I looked in the files section and couldn't see it. I also looked on FFG's website, but couldn't find it. Has to be there, though...

severian73 wrote:
Yeah, I think his card even says that you "discard Gandalf from play" after the round is over, rather than put him in the discard pile.

Putting Gandalf in the discard pile is discarding him from play. I put him 'in play' on my turn, then discard him from play at the end of the round, to the discard pile. If it were otherwise, the card would say something to the effect of 'remove from game' after the round is over.

severian73 wrote:
Regardless, fun session report!

Thanks. Even though I misused Stand and Fight, it was still a fun round. I guess I still need to beat the scenario 'for real' though, so I'm sure I'll give it another shot very soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Morris
Scotland
Harrogate
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
Join the BGG Folding @Home Team !!
badge
This user had more :gg: than sense
mbmbmbmbmb
kevster wrote:
I never even noticed that last sentence on the card until I just now went and reread it, that says the character can be from any sphere of influence. Seems a bit odd that Gandalf doesn't belong to a sphere, but, yeah, by a strict reading of the card it would be illegal to bring Gandalf back like that. Thanks for pointing that out.

That is an official answer from Nate. Between you and me (and anyone else reading this) I get the impression that they discovered too late that Stand and fight with Gandalf was overpowered, so ruled this way to stop Gandalf from being spammed. I feel that had they meant it all along, then they would have worded the card differently.

But at least we do have clarity here.

((But then again, they are not good at wording cards, so who knows. ))
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"All" does not imply "at least one".
mbmbmbmbmb
Many of us won games when we used Stand and Fight with Gandalf before we learned of the rule clarification. Others are free to disagree but IMO those still count as wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.