TxGowan
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From EFE:

Quote:
Mexico City, Feb 23 (EFE).- Archaeologists carrying out restoration at the Dzibilnocac site in the southeastern state of Campeche discovered a Mayan game board dating from more than 1,000 years ago, Mexico's National Institute of Anthropology and History said.

A member of the team that found the artifact, Heber Ojeda, estimates the board was used between the 7th and 10th centuries during the Late Classic period of Dzibilnocac.

"It is an esgraffito scoreboard of approximately 50 centimeters (19.68 inches) on each side, which was discovered on the floor of the second highest space" in the building denoted A1, the archaeologist said.

Etched into the surface of the board are 58 rectangles of varying sizes and players would have used beans as game tokens, Ojeda said.

One of his colleagues, Judith Gallegos Gomora, said the board was designed for patolli, a game of chance described in Mayan codices and colonial Spanish chronicles.

She added, however, that the board bears a resemblance to the Maya quincunx, a schematic representation of the universe, and would likely also have been used for divination.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG has announced a reprint will be released in early 2013.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:
Etched into the surface of the board are 58 rectangles of varying sizes and players would have used beans as game tokens, Ojeda said.

I can just see little Mayan children fighting over who got to be the kidney bean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, so it's either a Mayan Ouji board or Mayan poker table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Click
United States
Blountville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:
Six expansions are planned... if all goes well, that is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor Liss
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Knew at once that it was going to be a version of Patolli. They've found a lot of board games etched into Mayan buildings in the past:

From R.C. Bell's "Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations" (pg 3)

It's believed that the game originated in Korean Nyout and was taken to North America via the Berring Straits. There it developed into the Native American game Zon Ahl before heading south in to Central America where it would become Patolli.

Interestingly enough, Nyout (the supposed origin game) was believed to have a hand in divination as well.

You can read more about its development in my geeklist I Ching and Arrows - On the Origin of Chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
But what's it's BGG Rating?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Hickle
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
This space for rent.
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

Ironic, considering the world is supposed to end in 2012. You know, according to the Mayans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go Take A Hike
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Where's the beef?!
badge
I don't think anybody's back there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Gowan wrote:
and players would have used beans as game tokens, Ojeda said.

I'd think they would have made it bigger and used severed heads. Probably a lot of those stacking up in the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
White Dragon Enterprises
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Jesse!

I can just see it now:

2012 passes with not even a volcano erupting.
Game published 2013
While playing the game, god comes along and says "Earth is done."
One of the players says, "No, NO, I have one more bean to place!"
God says, "Sorry but the experiment is now done."
The player says, "But you were supposed to end the world in 2012 and I STILL HAVE A BEAN TO PLACE...."
God says, "The Maya's calendar was off. They did not listen closely enough. Besides, you had the game and it should have told you to prepare..."

The scene fades and now the next expierment begins, Planet of the Apes....

W. Rogers Abbott III
White Dragon Enterprises, Inc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:

Ironic, considering the world is supposed to end in 2012. You know, according to the Mayans.

Random piece of information of the day...

In response to the above quote, this idea is wholly misconcieved! Modern western-world spin on the whole thing. It's just the turn of an era, the end of an astronomical cycle and the beginning of a new one. I recently saw a documentary shot in Yucatan and Guatemala where today's Mayans have absolutely no concept of doom/apocalypse in relation to the end of this cycle. In fact, the wider population had no idea what the journalists were talking about. Only the more educated elders knew about ancient calendars and even they were adamant that modern western literature created the whole catastrophe scenario. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thompson
United States
Homewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
asutbone wrote:
berserkley wrote:

It's just not as funny when you have to explain it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The archaeologists discovered some related Mayan glyphs on a nearby tablet.

It was a debate about the relative merits of Mayan games vs. AztecTrash.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
rathmourne wrote:
asutbone wrote:

Random piece of information of the day...

In response to the above quote, this idea is wholly misconcieved! Modern western-world spin on the whole thing. It's just the turn of an era, the end of an astronomical cycle and the beginning of a new one. I recently saw a documentary shot in Yucatan and Guatemala where today's Mayans have absolutely no concept of doom/apocalypse in relation to the end of this cycle. In fact, the wider population had no idea what the journalists were talking about. Only the more educated elders knew about ancient calendars and even they were adamant that modern western literature created the whole catastrophe scenario. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:

Wow Chris, you must have some gift, that's kind of what happened. I asked my SO to confirm a spelling at one point and was met by a rant telling me I was wasting my time with such replies! Can't help but tipping you on that one!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Digren K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Billythehut wrote:

Patolli

BGG lists publication date as 1350 though, which is clearly inaccurate if the board found is at least 1000 years old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

Patolli

BGG lists publication date as 1350 though, which is clearly inaccurate if the board found is at least 1000 years old.

The game listing attributes the game to the Aztecs. That's why it's 1350.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Samort7 wrote:
Knew at once that it was going to be a version of Patolli. They've found a lot of board games etched into Mayan buildings in the past:

From R.C. Bell's "Board and Table Games from Many Civilizations" (pg 3)

It's believed that the game originated in Korean Nyout and was taken to North America via the Berring Straits. There it developed into the Native American game Zon Ahl before heading south in to Central America where it would become Patolli.

Interestingly enough, Nyout (the supposed origin game) was believed to have a hand in divination as well.

You can read more about its development in my geeklist I Ching and Arrows - On the Origin of Chess.

Looking at that second board, it seems that the Mayans invented Trivial Pursuit hundreds of years before the Americans did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Digren wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

Patolli

All of those great pyramids, calenders, cultural artifacts, and observatories built with stone tools and they couldn't produce a board game with a higher BGG rating than 5.64??

Most disappointing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Thomas
United States
Langhorne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
"I will take love wherever I find it, and offer it to everyone who will take it. Seek knowledge from those wiser, and teach those who wish to learn." -Duane Allman
mbmbmbmbmb
Macrawn wrote:
Digren wrote:
Billythehut wrote:

Patolli

All of those great pyramids, calenders, cultural artifacts, and observatories built with stone tools and they couldn't produce a board game with a higher BGG rating than 5.64??

Most disappointing.

Don't worry, the upcoming FFG reprint will "fix" many of the perceived issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
berserkley wrote:

I'm confused... I swear I read a rumor on the internets that Strongpoint Games had the rights to reprint this. From the game's original designer even.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Borg
Canada
flag msg tools
berserkley wrote:

Hands off, that's Mayan, bitch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiwaz Tyrsfist
United States
Gladstone
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
Yay, Overtext bought with supporter GG!
badge
Supporter #3170 - I hope the bonus gets high enough that I can buy GeekBadge Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nikoms wrote:
Hmm, so it's either a Mayan Ouji board or Mayan poker table.

No, it's a Mayan Ouji board AND a Mayan Poker Table.

Just like the Spanish poker deck is, in fact, a tarot deck without the major arcana.

Also, and I could be wrong on this one, but I seem to remember reading at some point that the Norse played gambling games using the same rune stones that they'd use for divination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Borg
Canada
flag msg tools
pete belli wrote:
The archaeologists discovered some related Mayan glyphs on a nearby tablet.

It was a debate about the relative merits of Mayan games vs. AztecTrash.

I raise my thumb at you, sir.

The Aztecs invented the original game of chance, the coin toss. Heads you lose! It was a short game, with a lot of sore losers, but nobody ever demanded a rematch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.