Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Potter
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played maybe 5 or 6 games of FotM now, and I came across the Advance Payment card for the first time the other night (or at least, that's what I thought it was called. It's the one where you get 1 wood,brick,stone,reed,grain,sheep,food, and fuel and it comes with a -4 penalty). My friends weren't sure if it would be worth it or not, but I picked it out of our card draft out of curiosity and tried it as my first occupation (or minor improvement, I honestly can't remember which it is)
At the time i was thrilled to have such a variety of early items, but as play went on I didn't feel like was any further ahead in the game than the other players. In the end I tied for 1st place with a score of 45 (a little on the low side for us, especially for FotM), so I guess it worked out, but just barely. What have been other's experience with this card? Is it something you always play? Are there conditions that make it better worse for certain times of the game? Maybe better played later in the game to see if you can afford the -4 deficit? It's such a unique card in comparison to the rest of them, I'm really interested to see how others have used it to great/horrible effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryann Turner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Advance Payment is one of the strongest cards in FOTM. It's an automatic play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a great card. Even better with Madonna Statue or Yeoman Famer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I concur with Bryann and Philip. It's an awesome card, and when I'm lucky enough to get it, I will play it without hesitation (and as readers of my session reports will agree, sometimes without thinking), and most certainly if I'm first or second to play in the opening Round.

The stone itself practically guarantees your ability to pick up the Peat-Charcoal Kiln without opposition. The full resource array provides an early capacity to play a useful Minor, even by using Black Market if you're fortunate. The grain gives a nice jump on baking/sowing gambits. Yep, it's a fine card. If anything, the negative points very likely should be higher, like maybe -6.

Consider the relative value of what you're getting:

1 Sheep = 1 pt. (compared to -1 for none)
1 Grain = 1 pt. (ditto)
1 Stone = 1 pt. (stone almost always tranforms to points on a one-for-one basis
1 Food = 1 pt. (my FEATS algorithm--see elsewhere, maybe my posted review of the base game--tells me that, by and large, one food will eventually translate to one point)
This still leave a 1W/1C/1R/1fuel left over, surely worth another point or two, maybe three.

That's a prime deal in anybody's book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Basse
Belgium
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see this topic is quite old. Still want to answer though

Yesterday I had this card for the first time (in 5 years Agricola-FofTM). I had seen him once or twice with other players but it didn't occur to me as powerful. Now I played it myself I do think it's very good.

Pure psychologically the -4 is quite a threshold to go across, but in the end it's just in your head.

I did only play it in phase 4, because I already had a house pet (horse - to use the forester's lodge) and didn't want to miss the sheep. The other players were saying that it was already too late and maybe I didn’t use it in its full strength, but even now it paid itself right back. If you are not planning on taking sheep or grain, it’s worth already 4 pts on that. But all the resources give you an instant boost to buy investments that come very useful in early or midgame. In the end I had a final score of 59 ½.

So from now on I will not hesitate to take and play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.