Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I posted in the "Recommendations" forum about a week or so ago as to what games would be good to buy for a family of 3-4 players...ended up buying Runebound (Second Edition), one expansion, Arkham Horror, Arkham Horror: The King in Yellow Expansion, and Dominion Big Box w/Promo Cards.

I used to be a big boardgame/RPG gamer about 20 years ago...my Title Bout (1979) is still in impeccable shape! cool

So we finished our first game of Runebound (Second Edition) last night, and everyone had a blast. Getting ready to jump on Dominion tonight, as both the 13 and 15-year old were ultra-excited about playing more games.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

We play video games together, but you just don't get the same level of interaction. Last night was really refreshing.

Here's a couple of pics:

After my kids started doing some research on their own, they have come to the conclusion that I need to buy Descent: Journeys in the Dark next, LOL.

Maybe after a couple of more play-throughs of each game, I'll post a review or two...

Loving the site...LOTS of great info.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Thanks for the update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy the Hut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sit beside the breakfast table Think about your troubles Pour yourself a cup of tea Then think about the bubbles
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool!
Boardgames with your kids is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Good times.

Enjoy the discovery of the gaming world right now and this amazing website. We are truly in a Golden Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, glad to hear!

Hope you enjoy the other games you purchased as much as you enjoyed Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
badge
7300+ Profile Views and counting!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is what the 'Geek is all about.

Great people, honest advice, "human" reviews & most of all the satisfaction that all of these factors culminate to happy gamers both young and old

Hope your family continues to enjoy your new-found love for boardgames & that BGG continues to be a great resource for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Dove
United States
Las Animas
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really glad to read your post. I hope you and your family enjoy good times together playing games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am playing dominion ATM on BGA lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very nice of you to post some feed back; all too often people ask for recommendations and then disappear not to be seen again around here. Also I'm glad quality time seems to have been had by all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corwin1980 wrote:
It's very nice of you to post some feed back; all too often people ask for recommendations and then disappear not to be seen again around here. Also I'm glad quality time seems to have been had by all.

No, I plan on sticking around, and eventually shedding my newbie status, lol. We are having enough fun that I suspect this new boardgame craze will be much more than just a short whimsical thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
BirdfluNuggetz wrote:
After my kids started doing some research on their own, they have come to the conclusion that I need to buy Descent: Journeys in the Dark next, LOL.

You might want to hold out on Descent 2nd Edition which comes out sometime 2nd quarter this year. It's supposedly streamlined to play faster and be easier to teach new people. If you really like Runebound, all the core big-box expansions are good. (the small expansions are not that great and most of them are OOP). You can get a conversion kit that would allow you to use all the heroes from the Runebound games (same as the ones in Descent) to use in Descent 2nd Edition. All except the heroes in Mists of Zanaga(probably the best Runebound expansion) that is.

So I'd wait a few months on Descent and read all the previews for 2nd edition. If it something you want, pick up the conversion kit to bring all your Runebound heroes that you already love into Descent 2.0

Awesome heads-up post. Thanks a lot. I think I will hold off a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely take this with a grain of salt, but I was in a somewhat similar situation to you as far as introducing my kids to games.

If you're going to introduce them to new games, I recommend including games that are also the lighter, shorter fair. Play games with them they already like and have some familiarity to. All too often we get real excited about these games, and assume everyone is going to share our enthusiasm, only to find out we're overwhelming people.

I found I got a lot more good gaming out of my kids if I also played a lot of Clue, Careers, etc., with them.

Welcome to the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davebo wrote:
Definitely take this with a grain of salt, but I was in a somewhat similar situation to you as far as introducing my kids to games.

If you're going to introduce them to new games, I recommend including games that are also the lighter, shorter fair. Play games with them they already like and have some familiarity to. All too often we get real excited about these games, and assume everyone is going to share our enthusiasm, only to find out we're overwhelming people.

I found I got a lot more good gaming out of my kids if I also played a lot of Clue, Careers, etc., with them.

Welcome to the hobby!

Yeah, I was a bit concerned about this going into it, but both my kids did not seem to mind the time required for playing the game. I think as long as the game hold their interest, it should be fine. The Runebound game we played took a while to finish (it took us 2 nights to wrap it up...and we all died in the end, LOL ) but everyone was still engaged at the end.

It seems that the type of game they will really stick with regardless of time length (within reason) is a game where they manage a specific character that is "individual" characteristics(unique traits...not just pawns on a board). They form a mild attachment and a will to make sure their "persona" survives. Heck, the first thing my kids did upon cracking open the Arkham Horror game was to take out the character bio cards, read the front, look at the pics, and flip it over to read the mini-bio...at which time they were scrambling for "who they wanted to be" when we schedule our first play-through (scheduled for later tonight).

I think the type of game they will not stick with long-term would be a Catan/Carcassone type of game...unfortunately, as I like both (I have both on the Xbox 360, LOL). It's odd...my 13-year old would rather sit down to a nice game of Chess than a short game of Life or Trouble. Not a bad problem to have, just a bit different than the norm, I guess.

They also really enjoyed our first 4 games of Dominion though...so who knows? We shall see...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems a nice mash-up of Runebound and Dominion may be Ascension. Or, you may consider it too similar to Dominion.

If they like chess, they may like Kingdom Builder. I compare the two because they're both Abstract Strategy type games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hyland

Waterville
Maine
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been going through the same thing. My son likes video games and so do I so we play a couple that we can do together on the ps3. I got inspired to pick up a couple of board games and they are just so much more enjoyable and you get face to face interaction with the whole family.

In this day and age full face to face family interaction is a rarity. People don't even sit at a dinner table to eat together anymore and have conversations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marathon Man
United States
Staten Island
NY
flag msg tools
Glenn D, great to see you playing with the kids. I posted a similar subject a few weeks ago and recieved great responses. I just sold my 1st Edition D&D Dungeons Master Guide and Monster Manual on E-Bay to buy new games.

I recently purchased Memoir '44, Fury of Dracula, Pandemic and Claustrophobia. I have yet to receive Claustrophobia, but the other games listed are a quality games. My daughter is 7 and loves Fury. Good luck. MM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bravo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thank you Glenn for sharing how it all turned out. Totally awesome and made my week.

Enjoy the addition of hobby games to your family's time together.

Best,
Tonman
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter Acerbic Harridan
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the pictures. It's nice to read a post like this that isn't just snark.

Have fun gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diz Hooper
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A great story. Thanks for sharing.

I hope you have many more nights of board gaming with your kids in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Gamer
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have fun with this addicting hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
nice job and welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I have to admit, that was a daring act to use Runebound as a family game. I didn't know it could work, so I guess I was wrong Arkham Horror should be a breeze for you all.

I have just recently played Runewars, so I definitely should check out Runebound as I dig the Terrinoth universe now.

Really glad to see that you guys enjoyed Runebound a lot. And Descent next? Man, how lucky you are!

Thanks for sharing Glenn!

EDIT: How long did your Runebound game take?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Wow, I have to admit, that was a daring act to use Runebound as a family game. I didn't know it could work, so I guess I was wrong Arkham Horror should be a breeze for you all.

I have just recently played Runewars, so I definitely should check out Runebound as I dig the Terrinoth universe now.

Really glad to see that you guys enjoyed Runebound a lot. And Descent next? Man, how lucky you are!

Thanks for sharing Glenn!

EDIT: How long did your Runebound game take?

HAHAHA...you're not the first person to mention that about Runebound!

Honestly, I was going to do a solo run-though, and everyone said, "Let's just play!!". I mentioned not wanting to have to refer back to the rules multiple times and people growing "bored", but it didn't happen TOO often, and everyone was patient. Long story short, from the time we started and I began explaining the rules during setup, to the time we got our arses handed to us by the Dragon Lords (laugh LOL) was about 6.5 hours. We played the first 1/2 in a 4-hour stint the first night, then wrapped it up the following night. The main time-consuming thing was learning the management of the terrain dice, assisting with the kids' initial turns, etc. Once we got the hang of it, one player would begin their turn, then while they were wrapping up their encounter/market portion, the next player would go ahead and roll the terrain dice and start charting out their route. I think a standard 4-player game will take us around 3-4 hours next time.

I plan on doing a review on Runebound after we get another game in. I used to review video games for the Atlanta Journal Constitution as well as a well-known online gamer website, and think I can bring an interesting flair to the standard boardgame review. I know it's an older game, but it'll be fun.

We have played several hands of Dominion, and everyone likes it. We have not used the Prosperity or Alchemy add-ons yet.

In about an hour, we are going to play our first game of Arkham Horror. It's already set up...we'll report back and let everyone know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mir
Pakistan
Lahore
flag msg tools
mb
Really glad the recommendations worked out for you Waiting to read your thoughts on AH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.