BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Finished my first "real" boardgame in 20 years last night... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, 3-4 hours? That is a little stepback for me, but the game still sounds good to me from what you've described. Waiting patiently for your review. A small request, would it be okay for you to include your 13&15 year old opinion? I'd love to hear their thoughts, maybe on gameplay, complexity etc.

It's always a good thing to review old games, as we here never grew tired of it, so go ahead Glenn.

I expect your AH session was a no brainer to all. Hope it was a blast.

-Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TS S. Fulk
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Wow, I have to admit, that was a daring act to use Runebound as a family game. I didn't know it could work, so I guess I was wrong Arkham Horror should be a breeze for you all.

I have just recently played Runewars, so I definitely should check out Runebound as I dig the Terrinoth universe now.

Really glad to see that you guys enjoyed Runebound a lot. And Descent next? Man, how lucky you are!

Thanks for sharing Glenn!

EDIT: How long did your Runebound game take?

Why? Runebound is a very good family game. My kids 8 and almost 11 love playing it more than I do. If you ignore the PvP rules, it is essentially multiplayer solitaire keeping tempers of the younger players down.

Kids love leveling-up games with lots of monsters. That's Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:

Why? Runebound is a very good family game. My kids 8 and almost 11 love playing it more than I do. If you ignore the PvP rules, it is essentially multiplayer solitaire keeping tempers of the younger players down.

Yes, I know I was proven wrong. My first thought was that it's rules heavy (I should have known that it's not, judging by the weight scale). I don't have kids nor married, and have no experience playing with kids. I guess I'm just assuming, which I shouldn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I realy enjoyed reading this thread
Now how was your first game of Arkham Horror?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Man, 3-4 hours? That is a little stepback for me, but the game still sounds good to me from what you've described. Waiting patiently for your review. A small request, would it be okay for you to include your 13&15 year old opinion? I'd love to hear their thoughts, maybe on gameplay, complexity etc.

It's always a good thing to review old games, as we here never grew tired of it, so go ahead Glenn.

-Damien

Don't discount the game on the 3-4 hour investment...it was quite a solid experience, especially as the doom counter started approaching the end of its' track. I can tell you that I could probably play through a solo game in about 1.5 hours. Then, if you add players, for each additional live participant that is familiar with the game and ruleset, add a factor of 30 minutes...just an estimate. New players...add 45 min or so.

I used to review video games for Atlanta Journal Constitution and a popular internet video gaming site, so I naturally will be posting a full review soon. We plan on making this a "family review" (you will see, should turn out great ) where I perform the body of the review from a personal standpoint, then we will "Pro/Con" the end of the review from every family member's experience. I will score it on a 1-10 scale on various individual aspects of the game, then will give it a final score...one for solo play coming just from me. Then each family member will score it and we will average to generate a "family score". That is the format we will also use for the Arkham Horror review, which I should post sometime either late today or tomorrow night.

The AH session was slow-and-go early on, even after watching Grudunza's Arkham Horror 11 part video tutorial series now available I was surprised at how much of the rules I just did not completely grasp. In any case, his videos (probably about 1.5 hours total) are HIGHLY recommended for new AH owners.

First hour was at a molasses pace, then it started to pick up...but all went well. Will review it as well, we are getting ready to start another session a bit later today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tssfulk wrote:
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:
Wow, I have to admit, that was a daring act to use Runebound as a family game. I didn't know it could work, so I guess I was wrong Arkham Horror should be a breeze for you all.

I have just recently played Runewars, so I definitely should check out Runebound as I dig the Terrinoth universe now.

Really glad to see that you guys enjoyed Runebound a lot. And Descent next? Man, how lucky you are!

Thanks for sharing Glenn!

EDIT: How long did your Runebound game take?

That's exactly what we did, we ignored the PvP rules for the first playthrough. Our 13-year old daughter is cutthroat, so she was mildly disappointed, but it was for the best on the maiden playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn D
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dtroy_de_rapcore wrote:

-Damien

My family's review of Runebound just went "live" here:

Our first family board game review: Runebound!

Let me know if I can answer any specific questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.