Subject: Decision Games.. do they reprint anything right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Fox
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I have Empires of the Middle Ages. They didn't update the rules, just tacked on an expanded rule set that really wasn't needed. There were too few counters to properly play the game, and the map (while large enough) completely missed the mark on usability (no attempt to streamline the process of tracking the various states a territory can be in).

I never played the original, but from what I've read they actually made the board worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Martin
United Kingdom
Brackley
Northamptonshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FuManchu wrote:
Well, I have Empires of the Middle Ages. They didn't update the rules, just tacked on an expanded rule set that really wasn't needed. There were too few counters to properly play the game, and the map (while large enough) completely missed the mark on usability (no attempt to streamline the process of tracking the various states a territory can be in).

I never played the original, but from what I've read they actually made the board worse.

I brought this game and played it with a number of seasoned gamers who had experience of playing this classic. Consensus was that the map is worse in the DG version and the distribution of the social state markers were inadequate; one player commented that it was like it had been revised by someone who never played it. Pretty poor for the £70 or so that I paid!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Empires reprint was a disaster. They redid the map into area movement and such and then did not revise the rules to match - the game was thus unplayable out of the box.

Plus, there were a pair of absolutely critical map revisions to the original (fixing the incorrect religion, language and social state on Anatolia and one in northwest France) that fell out of the reprint. It took three years to pleading to get map patches created.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kendrick
United Kingdom
Redditch
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
I'm not sure that's right. The change from point-to-point boxes to areas didn't affect the play of the game, only the visual appearance, and didn't of itself require any rule changes.

The issue was that there were several areas where the original rules were unclear (eg taking actions across seas) and there was no attempt to resolve these by incorporating suggestions from the EotMA community, or to improve clarity by rewriting.

A lesser (but still annoying) issue was that the social status chits were badly thought out - they were printed in player colours and hence limited in use, whereas it would have been much better to have a single "owner" marker and neutral SS markers which could then have been used by any player. They were also inconsistently designed, so in searching for a "+2" or "-3" you never knew which counter it was on the back of.

You're right about the mistakes on the map, and that was just sloppiness in production.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bukata
United States
Amherst
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that I should say something about complex stuff, but I have Advanced ETO and PTO - amongst other products from DG.

I have to say there are hundreds of pages of rules for these two products and they are just board games, so after reading about 60 pages enough was enough. thumbsdown

They are a difficult read at best. So I have to agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Wood
United States
Eden
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arduinceo wrote:
Not that I should say something about complex stuff, but I have Advanced ETO and PTO - amongst other products from DG.

I have to say there are hundreds of pages of rules for these two products and they are just board games, so after reading about 60 pages enough was enough. thumbsdown

They are a difficult read at best. So I have to agree.

"Never in the field of wargaming conflict have so many rules been written to so little effect."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mb
I heard some positive things about Highway to the Reich (third edition).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark D. Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sidewynnder wrote:
DG has Outreach, Star Soldier, and Star Force Alpha Centauri. Also, a reprint of Free Mars.
I pledged for all of these years ago, but don't know when / if they'll be re-printed. I hope they are, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Beast74 wrote:
FuManchu wrote:

I brought this game and played it with a number of seasoned gamers who had experience of playing this classic. Consensus was that the map is worse in the DG version and the distribution of the social state markers were inadequate; one player commented that it was like it had been revised by someone who never played it. Pretty poor for the £70 or so that I paid!

Well, this explains a lot about my play experience with EoMA II. So it's not just me.

Sounds as though DG should do some serious soul-searching and consumer-feedback-sifting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hoffman
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
I heard some positive things about Highway to the Reich (third edition).

If that positive thing was "it's attractive," then, yea, that's a fair and true point. I own this one and I'm kind of on the fence. The rulebook didn't click with me at all, but I'm not sure if it's because I can't visualize the game (my problem with OCS; this is one of those rulesets I've resigned myself to simply learning through the tried and true "have a veteran correct and crush you" method) or because the rulebook truly blows. Unfortunately, I bought the thing before realizing that there was no PBEM support for it [though I think a Cyberboard module may finally exist], which dropped it to the rock bottom of my play list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.